1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

IPOD Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Moe, Dec 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I bought my daughter in IPOD for Christmas. We figured out how to download cd's fairly easily and some other songs on her computer. It appears that each time you synch up the IPOD, it adds any new songs in the library, but deletes any songs from the IPOD that have been deleted from the library. Therefore, you have to keep everything on your computer that you want kept on the IPOD. Is there any way around this? She would like to delete the songs from her computer once they are on the IPOD, but it is also taking them off the IPOD.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm no expert, but I believe their is a setting in Itunes, where you can select to update only a few files. So just save the new songs in a separte file. So that way when you are syncing, the old songs will remain because you are only updating new files.

I think.

3. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Thanks, 03. Any idea where to look for the setting?

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

That's exactly right. It's such a stupid default feature because I lost my entire library twice because of this. But this was way back in '02. Here you go my laggard friend :p

Itunes - Edit - Preferences - Ipod - click Manually manage songs and playlists

5. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I know when I first plugged my new ipod into my computer it asked if I wanted it to sync automaticaly, which I chose not to, just for that instance. When you plug your Ipod in there should be a summary screen that pops up. One of the check marks under options is to manually manage music, which you should check.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you ask me, it's better to keep all of your songs together on the PC. If the iPod gets lost or stolen, you still have the songs in iTunes. I'm guessing your hard drive has much more available capacity than the iPod anyway. Plus you can setup and change playlists on iTunes that will automatically transfer to the iPod.

Just my 2 cents worth. I got a video iPod for Christmas last year and it's is awesome.

7. R0ckets03

what redefined said.

seems so easy, but super hard to find if you dont know where to look. :mad:

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I got a current gen iPOD last year for Christmas and did the exact same thing. Never had to deal with it.

9. redefined

I think that's a horrible idea if you don't manage your songs using itunes. This is because what happens if you don't like a song and you will never listen to it on your computer but will definitely listen to it while you work out or mope around at home? You'll have no choice but to keep it and it's such a waste of space. My ultimate music source is my ipod but I still like to revolve all my media using WMP. It's not the end of the world if you do lose all your music because you either deleted it or lost your ipod. But this is the exact reason people buy external hds or burn their music to dvd's before they delete them.

And I also have this program that allows you to move your mp3's from your ipod to your computer. It's real easy to use and comes in handy all the time. If you're interested just let me know.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Thanks, everybody!

11. R0ckets03

Hey, what program is that? I started a thread about this very topic a while back, but forgot to follow up on it.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When it comes to music, my computer is only a repository for the iPod. I never listed to music using my computer. It may be a waste of space but I only have a grand total of 5-6 GB of music.

Can you manage playlists from the iPod or is iTunes needed for that? If the answer is no, then I will continue doing things the same way. Playlists (much more than artists or albums) are what I live and die on.

13. redefined

It's called sharepod. Email me and I'll send it to you.

14. R0ckets03

it wont let me email you through the board.

15. redefined

Sorry, I fixed it