1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting post from another site....

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Doc Rocket, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

I thought this was pretty interesting in the Astrosdaily.com site....

POSTED BY DRAMA9
    "After reading some great posts on here earlier on whether to move Burke now or not, I was interested in seeing what some other 'good' hitters had done in their first solid season of AB's. Here's what I found -

Mike Schimdt .196 - 367AB - 18HR
    Craig Biggio .257 - 443AB - 13HR
    Sammy Sosa .233 - 532AB - 15HR
    Larry Walker .241 - 419AB - 19HR
    Barry Bonds .223 - 413AB - 16HR
    Pudge Rodri .260 - 420AB - 8HR
    Jim Edmonds .273 - 289AB - 5HR
    Mickey Mantle.267 - 341AB - 13HR
    Jeff Bagwell .294 - 554AB - 15HR
    Pete Rose .273 - 623AB - 6HR
    Ryne Sandberg.271 - 635AB - 7HR
    Carl Yastrzemski .266-583AB-11HR
    Robin Yount .250 - 344AB - 3HR
    lou Gehrig .295 - 437AB - 20HR
    Kirby Puckett.296 - 557AB - 0HR
    Dave Winfield.265 - 498AB - 20HR
    Bernie Williams .238 - 320AB - 3HR

I guess (optimistically of course ) that if these guys can do this in their first season, maybe our rookies can come through as well. Personally, I think Burke has a ton of potential to become a Biggio clone and be a BIG doubles type guy....only time will tell, I guess!"

I like the rookies and would've been PISSED if they would've traded Burke for Moyer. :mad:

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

agreed. also i don't think we need to make a move for starting pitching. we're amazing through 3 and solid through 5 which is good enough. also first post in a doc rocket thread. yeah!

3. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Although I don't see Burke in that same class, it does make a valid point on showing a young player some patience. Burke will be a fine young player for years to come. Nice find!

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not sure what that shows, fellas.

With 206 AB's, Burke is batting .243 with 1 homer and 14 RBI.

If you're expecting power from Burke in his career, I think you're expecting too much. Yeah, yeah...I know...he hit a few homers in AAA. But that doesn't always translate to power in the bigs. And I don't see it translating for Chris. Frankly, looking at all his minor league stats the year at AAA looks like an anomaly, more than a trend. He had 3 homers per season in 2001, 2002, and 2003...then 2004 he hits 16. Again...throwing words like "5-tool" around for this guy is missing the boat, I think.

Bottom line...if there was better talent available and the price weren't so high...I would have NO PROBLEM with us moving Burke. None at all. He's a man without a position for about 2 more years, because his bat doesn't justify using him in a corner OF position on an everyday basis.

Posting Bagwell's Rookie of the Year numbers doesn't make the case very well, by the way! :) I'd love to have those numbers...ANY YEAR!!

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I like what I see with CB -- I'd like to have his future.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

It was Neive for Moyer anyway, so apparently Burke isnt on the block.