1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[interesting hypothetical] Ohtani and the Marinera

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jalen Green OnlyFan, Oct 4, 2021.

?

Would Mariners have won our division with Ohtani?

1. Yes

43.8%
  2. Probably not

56.3%
  1. Jalen Green OnlyFan

If Ohtani would have signed with the Mariners instead of the angels, would it have negatively impacted the Astros?

I think the Mariners would’ve won the division this year with an Ohtani addition.

2. vince

vince Member

I think Mariners do earn wildcard berth with Ohtani. But I don’t think they overtake the Astros….

At the same time, why would Ohtani sign with the Mariners, when they were not too much in contention then. I think Ohtani thought that him and Trout, along with Pujols, were going to rake!

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  3. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I was reading an article the other day about how only 3 teams could pay him 3 million plus then. rangers, Mariners, and angels. He struck rangers cause he wanted to be closer to Japan on the west coast.

I think he chose angels over Mariners mainly cause Los Angeles sounded more fun than Seattle tbh. Huge mistake IMO.

Mariners are a fringe team that I think would become the real deal with Ohtanis production.

Slyonebluejay and vince like this.
  4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

If you do the quick and dirty math of adding his WAR to the Mariners, then yes, they do win the division. No clue why Ohtani thought it wise to join the Angels, probably was duped by their name to thinking they played in LA and not Orange County.

Then again, after seeing Ichiro's career go to waste in Seattle, I can see why he avoided them as well.

5. vince

vince Member

Heck Trout and Ohtani was a spectacular pairing. But a team still has to get quality players around the superstar contracts. And when any of those mega paid players go down, there went the season and any fringe of contention.

I think the Angels with Trout and Ohtani will still fare much better next season. As the Astros will likely lose Correa. Not to say the Angels will overtake the Astros, but I think they’ll be fighting for a playoff spot in September at the very least.

6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Wasn't it also reported that since Ichiro was already a star in Seattle, he didn't want to follow in his foot steps. He wanted to go to a team where he would be the 1st big Japanese star for that franchise. Although not sure how true that was because if it was, why did he even consider the Mariners? Also why were the Rangers an option and not the Astros? Is the location that big of a difference?

7. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

The Angels are utterly doomed in both regards. Their farm system sucks balls and has sucked balls for the last decade. A big reason why they have to spend so much in free agency is because of the lack of young, cost controlled players. Combine that with terrible FA decisions (Pujols, Rendon, Kasmir, Wells, CJ Wilson, Freese (lmao), J-Up, Matt Harvey (lmao)). The Rendon signing made even worse because if they just waited a year they could have poached Correa from us with ease, or at the very least a Seager or Story.

The Astros farm system is rated poorly since all the talent is in the majors now, yet we still churn out decent big leaguers at a consistent rate, with more on the way (Leon, Pena, Lee, Brown). The Angels can't do that, its what dooms them to mediocrity despite TWO once-a-decade talents.

Slyonebluejay and vince like this.
  8. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Astros couldn't offer an international player anywhere near 3 million plus that year. Rangers actually could offer the most but Rangers, Mariners, and Angels all could offer similar amounts

BamBam and punkoholic like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I think he's more of a puttanesca fan

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think you could add Ohtani to the NYY, Boston, Blue Jays, Dodgers or Cards, and would have made them division winners also.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm always amazed at the lack of urgency by the Angels to add good pitching every year. It's LA, they got Trout and Ohtani...it's not like they're a small market team.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And Rendon

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

They should also show some urgency in making sure the pitchers they do have on their roster are still alive.

Sorry, I'm just a tad bit bitter about how the Astros are STILL getting dragged by the media and fans even though we had a team with an honest to God DRUG RING operating in their ****ing locker room, which led to the death of one of their pitchers. And it all happened in the same time frame as the cheating scandal. And yet, media does nothing with that story, and instead continue to beat the dead horse that is the 2017 Astros. It's ****ing vile, and ****sticks like Buster Olney, Jeff Passan, Bob Nightengale, Evan Drellich, Alyson Footer, and the rest of those assholes should be made to answer some questions on the way they went about their "investigation".