1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Incredible Realization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Elvis Costello, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Elvis Costello

Due to getting married right before the Rockets went on a 15 game losing streak I have drifted from the team more than normal. In the last few weeks I have begun to look closely at the team again and despite the spate of heartbreaking loses, I think this is the most promising Rockets team since the Championship era.
    I think what excites me most is how Rudy is developing the young players so rapidly. I didn't expect Griffin to be so poised have such a sound fundamental game. He presents so many unique match-up problems with his shooting range and shot-blocking abilty. I don't want to be guilty of hyperbole, but I think he can really revolutionize the game. Don't hate me for this comparison, but he looks like he could have a Tom Chambers offensive game combined with Hakeem's shot-blocking ability (if not overall defensive presence).
    Morris has really come along lately, as well. I think Championship teams need guys who can be versatile and do a lot of little things to win. I think Morris could develop into this kind of Rick Fox, Rodney McCray, Cedric Maxwell and Robert Horry type of player.
    I think one of the other major causes for optimism is Cato's play. I have been incredibly critical of him for a long time, but he is undoubtedly playing great center for us right now. If he continues to put up double-doubles and play like he really cares then he is just the kind of player we need at his position on a team of outside gunners. I would really be hesitant to trade him right now.
    The core of the team is still the backcourt and I don't think there is any question that Steve and Cuttino are really a lethal combonation. I think what has been the culprit behind a lot of the close losses is the fact that this team has not played a lot together this season. Rudy's love of the end-game three guard rotation is a more fundamental problem. This is my major criticism of the coaching this season. Too often Steve does not have the ball in crunch time. And with three undersized guards there are a lot of match-up problems on defense.
    What I hope for the future is that unless the Rockets can get Yao Ming (I think they would be foolish to pass this kind of talent up), I hope they get top small forward who can also play some shooting guard (Mike Dunleavy?). I don't think the Rockets run enough. (I never thought I would say this, but the Rockets need to learn from the NJ Nets.) Moochie's role needs to be reduced to that of a true back-up. In an ideal situation, I would like to see Cuttino come off the bench to be an explosive sixth man and have a more defensively sound to be built around Eddie and Steve. Anyway, going into this year I would never have thought that I would be so excited about a team that was 16 or 17 games below .500.