1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In what world is losing in first round better than losing in the Final?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RockWest, Oct 16, 2016.

1. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Here are the playoff records(Age 21~31) of 2 really successful players. Which one do you think has a better record?
    [​IMG]

A lot of people keep saying Jordan never lost in Final. He is the GOAT. No matter how many more rings Lebron win, he will never catch up with Jordan because he already lost 3 finals.
    In what world is losing in first round better than losing in the Final? I'd rather my team's record look like the one on the right.

Do you agree that no matter how many more rings Lebron get, he would never catch up to MJ?

#1 RockWest, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Pic fail...try again

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hotlink is not allowed, breh. A big no-no.

heypartner likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you have to upgrade to imageyes.com, breh

You got an image no-no from imageno

5. RockWest

Sorry, please check again.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why are you leaving out Lebron's first two seasons of not making it to the playoffs?

Also, the East in the '80s was the most competitive conference until arguably the West of the '00 years. But certainly, the East all throughout Lebron's career is the worst conference ever in the history of the league.

In your graphic, MJ was knocked out by the #1 seed 5 times and the #2 seed the other two, in conference. MJ was never upset with home court advantage. In contrast, Lebron was #1 seed twice getting upset by a #4 and #3 seed within a weak conference. And upset again in the Finals with HCA against Nowitzki, heavily favored Super Friends losing three games in a row.

I say that without really having an issue with comparing Lebron to MJ. I just think you're misusing historical data in a rather defensive-fan manner. You didn't find some smoking gun.

#6 heypartner, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    oakdogg, rm365 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. RockWest

Because MJ's career started at age 21. I don't think it's fair to compare a 18 year old Lebron to an 21 year old Jordan. We are talking about Michael Jordan here.

The reason why Bulls met tough teams in first round was obvious. They only managed to get 7th, 8th and 8th in standing in MJ's first 3 years. They were supposed to meet the toughest teams. The best way to stay clear of tough opponents until last round is to get #1 in standing.

I'm not really a LBJ fan. Nor do I think LBJ is near Jordan's accomplishment yet.
    My problems is people kept saying "Michael Jordan never lost in the finals" to make it sound like Jordan had a perfect unbeatable playoff career.
    The fact that LBJ got to finals more times and had 4 losses instantly made him much inferior record-wise.

rm365 likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's a pretty stupid logic perpetuated by Kobe homers and LBJ haters. Even ESPN fell for it as they showed that infographic about how many times Kobe, Lebron and MJ have won in the finals.

To be honest MJ really has no basis to be labeled as "GOAT", his 6 rings aren't the most by any individual, and his individual prowess doesn't measure up to someone like Hakeem, Shaq or Abdul Jabbar all in their prime. It's just that he played in the 80's generation at the time when the NBA exploded in popularity, and the kids watching him lapped all his **** up so now when they all grew up nobody can compare to their idol MJ slamdunking it with Bugs Bunny.

While I do think MJ is still better than Lebron currently, at the rate LBJ is tracking at he should be the "new" GOAT when his career is done. MJ was helped a lot by circumstance (ie his GM was like the only good GM in the league), but LBJ is too. The main reason LBJ has had successful post season runs is because the EAST nowadays is weak whereas in MJ's time he always got stopped by the bad boy Pistons until Dumars and Isiah got old.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I honestly have an issue with your bolded part because you're excusing MJ for getting knocked out by top seeds but it's LBJ's fault he got a high seed when he was beaten? The only good player on that Cavs team is Varejao, and yet Lebron was able to give them a high seed, we can see this because the moment LBJ left they went from finals to getting the first draft pick. So if you look at it a crappy team with MJ can just get a low seed but a crappy team with LBJ got to the finals.

Of course MJ never got upset when he want to the finals, his team was stacked and the other teams he faced against sucked. MJ had a much better superfriends cast of his own, Pippen and Rodman are much better than Dwade and Bosh, and unlike Miami which was limited by salary cap the Bulls had a deep bench which included Kukoc and Kerr. In contrast Lebron's "Super friends" combined for 0 pts in their last game 7 game. MJ's finals are very subjective because the only time he got to the Finals was when his team was so dominant. It's like for 6 years his roster like the one GSW has one now.

10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I think a lot has to do with MJ's victories being more "persuasive" than LBJ's if you know what I mean here. And MJ had 2 three-peat which is also a testimonial of long stretch of dominance.

11. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Jordan could take over one on one when his team needs it much better than lbj.

Lebron is a better and more versatile all around player and a better team player.

That's all that there is to it.

The modern era is more competitive and scientific from a defensive and offensive schemes perspective. There are more freak athletes and higher overall athleticism.

For LeBron to dominate despite all that is a sign of how great he is.

Could Jordan replicate what he did in this era? I think so. He also would have benefited from modern nutrition and training and all that. His pullup game was unstoppable and his work ethic had no peer.

It's never fair to compare different eras.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Lebron more of a mix between a little Jordan, a lot of Bulls Pippen and a Bulldozer.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Gawd! Let's give it a rest. MJ = GOAT. Let's face it . Lbj will always be second fiddle no matter what.
    Unless he wins a slam dunk contest?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If LeBron somehow pulls off a few more finals wins, I think he and Jordan become 1B and 1A respectively. If he beats a healthy Warriors team in the finals I will put him over Jordan no question, but that is definitely not going to happen lol.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'll keep it simple.

Jordan >>> LeBron

I'll leave the graphs and analytics up to our resident CF statistical guru, JC Denton.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll take Lebron, thanks.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If Lebron can somehow beat the warriors this year, I think he is GOAT. This warriors team is probably the best team ever. 2 top 5 players. 4 top 15 players. I mean they even reloaded their bench with west.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Then you have to have Magic over Lebron. Five rings, nine finals.

19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Most LeBron fans just need to watch MJ play to see why he is the GOAT. Hakeem and MJ were the two greatest players to ever play basketball. Shaq was the most dominant.