1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the Past Decade Have the Rockets Been the Biggest Tease in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Jan 27, 2010.

1. RocketMania1991

It's hard to come up with many other teams that were hyped up more than the Rockets were in the past decade yet succeeded so little.

The hype began with the drafting of Yao Ming and his paring with Steve Francis which ultimately failed. That duo alone was meant to at least be fearsome for a while yet as we all know never came to be.

Next we move to the Mcgrady trade. Once we got that trade accomplished everyone in the city was thinking a deep playoff run that would possibly include a run for the finals.
    Once again a team that had been so hyped up to win failed again.

What other teams had been hyped up more than the Rockets to only accomplish nothing within a span of almost 10 years this past decade.

It just seems that every year this past decade the Rockets were a HUGE letdown. We all thought so highly of them every year, but for some reason or another whether it be injuries or not the team always let us down.

I don't know to many teams that can get you so excited yet drop the ball so quick like the Rockets have done.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

jerk of knee

1 person likes this.
  3. RocketMania1991

This is in no way related to tonights game or this season.

What I stated is my personal opinion of the team. I don't remember to many teams with so much talent and hype about them that accomplished so little as the Rockets.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it's not aknee jerk....just not a very well thought out rant...what other team has had injuries to their two best players? Baseball and football shouldnt even count though, since their contracts work differently and one important play counts a lot more than in basketbal

In basketball there's plenty of teams who have suffered due to injuries, problem is ours was to the same players and those players were the two best. Just bad luck because we acquired two injury prone players at our #1 and 2 spots...i know it's frustrating, but to b**** about it like the players didn't give enough effort or something, that's just not right. I know you didnt exactly point fingers at a player or players, but basically what you're blaming the team and the team didnt do anything on purpose or because of ignorance to cause this. It's bad luck. It happens.

Besides, what other team can have the luck we've had and yet have the pleaseure of saying they won 22 games in a row, second best EVER and also almost knocked out the eventual champs and took them further than anyone else? All while dealing with injuries?

Yes it sucks, but it could have been A LOT worse. Maybe it would have been best to be like the clippers or 76rs who went years and year without making the playoffs, 20 win seasons...not chance at all every year...maybe then fans wouldnt be complaining as much....personally i choose to enjoy what we did accomplish..

5. Classic

Classic Member

If by tease you mean "Dark horse of the West" then absolutely. Still pissed about the '05 playoffs. :(

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It's definitely not a knee jerk thread.

I agree with one of the posts that 05' was the year where if we could've beaten the refs err.. I mean the Mavs.. We could've won the championship but..

You know what they say coulda, woulda shoulda.

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Good post but nah I dont think so. I really believe we could have gotten by Dallas in 05 and i seriously think that series was rigged (you can call me a homer but i dont give a eff). Yeah we did draft Yao and that was supposed to be a dynasty and then the trade for Tracy was like oh *****, the Rockets are a contender but we really have nothing to show for any of that.

I think the Lakers would have been the biggest tease if they had not won the championship last year. But with that said I believe teams who lose throughout a decade are the biggest teases.

With that said I dont think the Rockets are the biggest tease but I think teams like the Clippers or Jazz have been the biggest tease in the NBA. The Clippers, lol, were supposed to be an up and coming team with the signing of Baron Davis and they got the #1 pick Blake Griffin and that fool broke his knee cap the last day of the pre-season. For sure the Clippers has the be the biggest tease of the last decade.

I would put the Mavs on that list too. Their owner complains so damn much and still has nothing to show for it LOL.

8. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

hey i just thought of something only the 2002 and older posters will remember,

the year 2002,we draft yao,Les says (gets laughed at by espn talk) "we are one of the greatest teams ever assembled"

lol. I laughed then. the lineup he was referring to was i think francis/mobley/rice/taylor(cato)/yao

that team never made it out of first round, then it improves to tmac/alston/battier/scola/yao and THAT team STILL doesnt get past first round

then ironically,7 years after Les made that silly comment, the team that FINALLY makes it to the 2nd round ,didnt have anyone on that 2002 team except yao,didnt have tmac, loses yao in game 2, yet pushes lakers to game 7 who goes on to win the championship.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Has is occured to you that people that joined after 2002 could be older then 18?

[​IMG]

10. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

The Rockets have never gotten hype from anyone except the people in Houston. Even when we had "so much talent" not many outside this city would give the Rockets the hopes of expecting a championship. I don't buy into hype based on what Les says. If ever Vagas made us the odds on fav to win the championship a couple of times and we lost then i would agree with you. But biggest tease over a 10 year span, I'd have to say no.

11. RocketMania1991

We actually got a lot of attention last year when we brought in Artest. Everyone around the league recognized the Rockets were going all out that year, yet of course something went amiss ;(

Regardless of how far people expected this team to go most everyone surely expected this team to get past the first round more than once. When you looked at two players in Yao/Mcgrady who's personal statistics appeared more than enough to carry a team to the finals Rockets fans had more than enough reason to get hyped and excited.

I understand people would say the Clippers or other losing teams this past decade were teases, but the Rockets were expected to do big things this past decade unlike other teams.We appeared to have the talent to move on we just couldn't get it done to to a multitude of factors.

Another tease or letdown similar to the Rockets in my mind would have to be the Wizards.
    Arenas/Buter/Jamison and no real success even in the weaker Eastern Confernce.

12. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

Yeah but even last year we were not a fav. Over the last decade I would say Dallas has been a bigger tease to their fans. They have been odd favs to win it all and never have. Don't get me wrong I hate Dallas but has Cuban ever went without going out and buying one of the top teams every year with zero banners to show for it. And don't tell me how many times they went to the playoffs or what round they went to cause that woud make them nothing but even bigger teases.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

so then why are you asking the rest of clutchfans if you just wanted to state your personal opinion?

why did you have to start a thread about it and where is the poll option while you're at it?

phoenix and dallas have had more hype, imo.

14. Classic

Classic Member

Ah yes, Phoenix has had by far the most hype of any NBA team the past decade. 2 time MVP? Really? People even wrote books about that team and they never won jack.

15. RocketMania1991

The purpose of posting this was because I wanted to see what others thought and get responses like the ones I have already received.

Phoenix and Dallas were both very hyped up teams as well, but they also were able to have some playoff success as well, at least somewhat more than the Rockets.

Going to the finals and losing in 6 games and then eventually coming back to win 67 games the next season and get handed a first round exit is the definition of a tease.

16. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

If the Rockets are considered the biggest tease, then what are the Phoenix Suns? Or the Dallas Mavericks?

We were never considered the favorites or a true contender by the media. Most of the time the Rockets have had a dark-house tag which is understandable because of the injury issues and at times the supporting cast. Even last year we weren't considered automatic contenders. Every article even thinking of the Rockets as contenders either harped on our injuries (legitimately) and Ron Artest's ability to destroy a locker room.

The Suns and Mavs on the other hand were labeled contenders, got deep in the playoffs every year, and have a combined 0 rings. What makes them even bigger teases is the fact that they always had an amazing regular season record while the Spurs just got through the season and then cranked it up in the playoffs. Now that sucks! :grin:

17. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Mav's playoff success + Suns' playoff success = 0 rings

0 [Mav's playoff success + Suns' playoff success] - Rocket's lack of playoff success = 0 rings

Now don't get me wrong. I love playoff basketball and its always great to root for your team, especially when you know this is what the whole season was for, but when you are talking about a tease, those two teams are the definition of a tense!

18. alethios

alethios Member

Naw, the biggest hyped team in my book was with the addition of Charles Barkley to the Dream/Glide squad. We had 3 HOF players on one team, so we were expected to make the NBA finals again. That's when I REALLY started hating the Jazz.

19. Francis 4 ever

The Mavs, The Suns, that lakers team with Malone+Payton, everything to do with Lebron.

Rocket's are fairly low on the list. Especially before the T-mac era.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Suns were by far the biggest tease. No one else even comes close. Dallas at least had a finals appearance, but otherwise they're a solid #2.

Rockets may be #3 though.