1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In the absence of news, I'm throwing out a theory...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Seems fairly obvious that the Tony Romo saga in Dallas is hurtling toward an unexpectedly dramatic ending. What once looked simple (Romo would be released on the first day of the new league year) has pretty obviously been muddied. Not only has Jones delayed Romo's release (leaving Romos "good-bye" video hanging out there like a fat man in a thong) but if he is going back on a handshake agreement and is now trying to trade Romo, he's also potentially taking Romo's control of the situation away from him, which, if true, I can't imagine is making Romo very happy.

And if THAT's true... is it potentially making the Texans a more attractive destination? Wouldn't heading 250 miles south to Houston and outplaying Prescott and shifting the balance of power within the state be the ultimate FU to Jones?

I propose the longer this drags out, and Jones leaves Romo in limbo, the better it is for the Texans.

kaleidosky likes this.
  2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Seems like it's also holding the Texans hostage in a way -- no real activity on the FA front, presumably waiting for their chance to sign Romo?

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That could be true, but who knows if Romo has it left in him anyway. 3 years is a long time, and the last couple years were disasters. If he can be what he once was then yes, it could be an awesome revenge.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Bob McNair can't be too thrilled with his buddy Jerrah right about now. Since Jerry woke up one morning and remembered that he was an *******, Romo has been left in limbo, the Texans haven't been able to make a move in free agency, and even guys like Cutler are stuck playing the waiting game. Watching the Broncos flurry of FA signings in the last couple of days gives me a little hope that they've gotten word that they won't be getting Romo, but until we have concrete news that Romo A) has been released and B) is on his way to Houston to sign a contract, I won't be making any assumptions. It's frustrating that our organization always seems to have a difficult path in front of it (partly by design, partly by luck), but hopefully things work out for us. The city and the fans deserve it.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Ben Albright says Jerry does not want Romo in Houston:

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He's not the only one.

juanm34 and macho GRANDE like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm okay if Romo is not coming. I just would rather they decide yay or nay soon. If the Texans decide to use their cap space to extend Hopkins and front-load the contract, I'm fine with that. Draft your QB, maybe 2. Fix the offensive line. Improve the running game.

Sidenote: I know it will never happen but I would love drafting OJ Howard and trading CJF to NE for Malcolm Butler. Yeah I know a pipe dream.

charlieaustin likes this.
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

You need to out-manuer them in the media and by signing a QB to convince them your out. Deek. and then sign upon release.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'm sure things aren't going the way Romo prefers, but you're fooling yourself if you think Jerruh is keeping him in the dark in all of this. The goal is to do what's best for both parties.

10. conquistador#11

i think that's how it's been for weeks. Romo wanting houston, brock traded made jerra realize it'.. "it's happening".
    The houston factor is the only reason why the good will that jerra spoke of at the end of the season has gone away.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think the Texans are offering draft picks but Romo wants to go to Denver.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

???? (LULZ!)

When it comes to his brand, I dont think he gives two ***** about what Tony wants. The only thing hes worried about is the backlash that his brand would get if he didnt treat Tony right. He may not be in the dark but he sure as hell isnt in direct light. That crypt keeper looking dude will do whats best for him, forever and always. He didnt become a billionaire d******d without being a d******d.

charlieaustin and Hey Now! like this.
  13. Hey Now!

Romo had to have been in the dark when he prematurely (in hindsight) posted a good-bye video.

And the problem with your claim is that what's best for Tony Romo (unconditional release) is NOT what's best for Jerry Jones. He sees significantly larger cap relief and turns him into an asset if he can trade him. And, if Albright's story is accurate, it keeps Romo out of Texas, which I'm guessing is, at the very least, AN issue for Jones.

If Romo comes to Houston and has a Manning-like renaissance... ESPECIALLY if it happens concurrently with the clock striking midnight on Dak Prescott.......... I guarantee you that's a scenario that keeps Jerry Jones up at night. And if Romo is unhappy about Jerry going back on his word.......

14. Hey Now!

Right?.... Romo isn't even a DALLAS hero; there's a large segment of Cowboy fans that HATE him.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That would fit in with your general perception that the Texans are in the 9th circle of hell and can do nothing right.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

...on offense.

Defensively we've done just about everything right. Except letting Bouye go so we can spend more money on offense

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

Still don't understand the love affair with Romo dude is bound to get hurt just as he has for the past few years

juanm34 and J.R. like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

When you are desperate you are willing to buy a lottery ticket and close your eyes and pray.

Pen15clubber and macho GRANDE like this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's hard to understand. The Texans need a QB now. He is the best QB "available". Even if he gets injured it might buy time for the newly drafted rookie to learn for about 8 games.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If we are going to draft a QB either way I don't see it as a lottery ticket. Get Romo has seriously nothing but upside.