1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka postgame vs. Warriors, addresses why Jalen Green sat the fourth quarter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He sucked so he didn't play. No more silas era.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, yeah, but it was also definitely to send a message. His defense wasn't as good tonight as it had been recently. He's getting coached up. It's the EXACT opposite of what they did a year ago.

ROXTXIA, Bo6, clos4life and 11 others like this.
  4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Love Udoka!!! Nice to see a coach who makes the right moves. Green’s low bball iq is pissing Udoka off and he’ll either work on improving or be benched.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

That’s coach speak for “I’m about to go talk to him now so I’m not going to say anything to you yet.” Ime knows these guys will see it hit twitter before he even makes it back to the locker room.

Jalen’s head is in a fog right now but just three games ago I thought he was playing well within himself as sort of the burst of offense guy with the bench unit. I think he’ll be fine and be productive again soon, but I do think we are seeing more and more evidence that growing into an EFFICIENT lead guard probably isn’t his destiny. If he wanted he could do what Westbrook did for years but mentally I don’t think he has that type of reckless abandon and I don’t think Ime would tolerate it like Scott Brooks did.

I think he’s likely to be a rich man’s version of Barbosa, and I think eventually you’ll see him in that role being a difference maker. I just don’t think he’s Kobe Bryant or even Clyde Drexler. He’s still going to be a good player though but it just might not be on this team in the long run.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Edit, tired of my own stick

Nice short interview

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He couldn't get to the line......probably home cooking.

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He is use to ISO BALL, Ime is playing TEAM BASKETBALL….passing the ball for not a good shot but a great shot. You have to be a good shooter in his system….remember shooting is a premium. We cannot play all of these young players.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

His defense and rotations looked sloppy from my perspective.

Likely the reason.

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

Udoka was a great hire. Love his poise in answering these questions. Doesn’t get too high in a win, doesn’t get too down in a loss.

gotsis, Patience, juanm34 and 21 others like this.
  11. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

Love it. No more coddling. Maybe this is the wake up call Green needs. Let’s see how he reacts next game.

12. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Nah that is not it. If JG4 was Jason Tatum or Jaylen Brown he would be fine with ISO ball. He is not there yet.

BTW- if you go watch videos of that 2021-2022 Celtics team, same thing happened. Lots of iso ball silliness and such. The team was like 12-15 in January 2022. Then they had a team meeting where Marcus Smart tore into Tatum and Brown for poor defense and ****ing around. The rest is history. Team went like 43 and 12 the rest of the year and made the finals.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ime Udoka was supposed to coach a veteran team......but yeah thanks to the scandal he is here now with the younger players.

ExTexanNowEastCoast likes this.
  14. Entropy

Entropy Member

Real coaching is so refreshing.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Excellent. You know there's not a bigger Green fan out here than me, but Jalen needs this. In a natural setting this would have happened to him way more often than it did the past two years. Especially in games the the team is genuinely interested in winning. Draft picks out of high school need that, they should not be allowed to play through mistakes until they turn into habits.

Like I've always said there are things that are going to have to happen early in the season to make up for lessons that we skipped the past two years. Green is getting good looks but taking the wrong shot too often. Happy with his gradual improvement in all other facets of the game.

What's becoming clear to me personally is that Green giving us 25 efficient points and acceptable defense/passing makes us a playoff team. We need that volume scorer to help Sengun. Everyone else is maxed out in the volume of points they can bring.

Kudos to the unit that played well and to Udoka for sticking to his principles.

I will say though that I've found my first disagreement with Ime. I cannot understand why we're pushing our current best player to play on an injured ankle ten-ish games into the season. That's a recipe for chronic career injuries. I can understand this if it's later in the season or playoffs, but I don't see how this is a good risk to take so early in the season. Teach him resilience a healthier and more sustainable way.

gotsis, Bo6, clos4life and 7 others like this.
  16. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen problem is - he has his man beat and then dribbles back into his man vs exploding to the rim ( in part to be doesn’t get many calls at rim) refs are really inconsistent specially vs certain teams

They need to get him down to 1-3 dribbles toward rim or pass it and reposition

17. Asian Sensation

Better now than in 3 years in an elimination game in the playoffs o_O

Madmanmetz and juanm34 like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is Jalen Green still the core though (that's it), and everyone else needs to just fit in?

Love Udoka.

Ime just keeping it real.

cml750 likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He just isn't that good and he doesn't fit in team ball...

He has to learn to play off the ball and is struggling.....he may need to go elsewhere.

DD

GotGame15 and evo8lover like this.
  20. SweetCityChamps

SweetCityChamps New Member

Hate sounding like the old guy here but it seems like Jalen’s issue is that he’s had so much hype around him since high school that now he just kind of coasts through games. If he has a bad shooting night or makes a mistake on defense it’s ‘oh well’. Unlike someone like Jabari who may not have superstar potential but who visibly gets frustrated when that type of stuff happens to him. Hopefully his benching tonight lights that fire in him and let’s him know nothing is guaranteed anymore.

HardenReturns likes this.