1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm Moving This Summer...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Outlier, May 14, 2006.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

...to the Philippines after my high school graduation. Two months from now basically. Going there for college, and nope I can't stay here. Reason being is my aunt/uncle are old and are attached to me.

I'm planning to get swoll and learn boxing over there. Read lots of books and stay educated. I believe the area of where I will live is Tagaytay, cool weather over there because it's on a mountain or something.

Now I post this topic to ask people here what you would bring to the Phil if you were in my shoes? I'm talking about clothes/ games/ etc. Should I get a job and try to buy lots of stuff?

Also any tips from whoever has been in my situation (moving out of country) would be helpful.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Do you really think that's a good idea to go to school there if you plan on working in the US for your career? Why not just do a study abroad or something??

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

I've done alot of thinking basically and I think it's set that I'm going. What do you mean by study abroad?

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I didn't mean to derail the thread but I was just thinking that if you plan on working in the US for your career (not sure if that's the case or not...), then a US degree would almost certainly be more handy than a degree from a Filipino university. Study abroad = where you just go study in a foreign country for a semester or a year and then return to your university.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Bring a lot of tapes of old Rockets wins...

Best entertainment out there.

6. Agent27

Agent27 Member

Bigtexx may have a point but before I comment: What are you planning on majoring in and what are your plans upon graduation?

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Do you have to tell your university to do that? Or can you just go to the Phil for a year and then come back and apply here?

I mean I'm going to take nursing over there, and I don't think a US degree or a Filipino Degree is any different if you're a nurse because that job is in demand all the time, you know?

8. Agent27

Agent27 Member

Defintely a possibility. There might be a problem of transferring courses thought. If the Filipino U doesn't have the right kind of certification, a US university could refuse to recognize the classes you took there. Talk to the registrar's office at the university. They probably have some experience with that.

An American hospital would be familiar with the kind of education a nursing student in the US receives. They would be less likely to know how qualifed you are if you went to a Filipino U. That could definitely be an obstacle in finding a job.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ah, don't know guys. I've told my aunt I'd finish college there and it would probably break her heart if I told her I'm only staying for a year.

10. Mr. Brightside

You're right, nurses are at all time high in demand and hospitals compete hand and leg in trying to get English speaking nurses the world over. These days many nurses get paid 100K and in NYC some even get paid upwards of 150K. Its grueling work, but financially rewarding.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

McGrady,

If you're doing nursing, then definitely go for it in the Philippines. First of all, you'll save lots of money over that span AND Filipino nurses are highly pursued by hospitals/clinics all over the U.S. Why? Well, for one the Philippines has a US-patterned educational system and English is their language of instruction, so no problems there.

We used to do educational equivelancies for MD Anderson and other places all the time and the vast majority of those were Filipino teachers (special education, math and science teachers) and nurses.

I think you wouldn't lose much if you get a Bachelor of Nursing from the Philippines.

Do you know what school you will be attending?

12. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Member

Bring lots of condoms. The chicks there go nuts for American dudes. One of the perks of going overseas.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

one would think you'd consider looking into some of these things before making any life-changing decisions...

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

Hope you speak d'galug. (Sp?) Yeah, I've had Phlip ex's.
    Hotties. Have fun.

#14 HAYJON02, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 15, 2006
  15. AMS

AMS Member

definately make some money before you go there,

get HIGH speed internet. best way to keep urself entertained, and to watch rockets

16. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

I've actually done what your doing...

I was in the Philippines for 2 years, now I'm in UK finishing up.

Anyway as for what to bring... just bring summer clothes.. and since your going to be in Tagaytay maybe a light sweater(s).. During the december/january tagaytay can get a little bit chilly, but not really cold. Bring a laptop for a computer. As long as you have cable, i think the one to get is called Sky Cable, you should be able to watch Rocket games since the whole country is mad about basketball.

If your Fil/Am, I know a lot of filams that do what your doing and they have really enjoyed the experience. I know a few that didn't want to go back to the States.

Yes, the women are hot, but just watch out for the pros.

That's about it from me... post back on this thread if you have any other questions.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's pretty awesome information thank you, I think I have questions to ask, but not now, I have to go.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Okay SlvrBtl, I hope you're still there.

See I'll be living in Santa Mesa in Manila for the first few months until the house in Tagaytay is built. My question is what college near there is a good one and should apply to. My aunt said Greenhills, but I looked it up and saw that it was an all-boy school, according to the site anyway. I was thinking Ateneo or DSLU but I don't know if that's near Santa Mesa.

Also, how do I send my transcript and all the information I have here in Houston? I don't know the address to send it too yet. I really need to know college information soon because I'll be moving in two months. I don't know how the process is in the Philippines.

And how is the life in Tagaytay? I hope it's a good city with a good amount of people. I don't want to be bored there. Are there any decent colleges near it?

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It's already May dude, there are usually deadlines for applying. You are leaving it for the last second it appears. Don't you think you should be asking these questions from the schools you are planning to go to?

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

I know dude, but it's difficult to apply to an overseas college. Plus my aunt and uncle are probably the worst planners there is meaning they don't think ahead for me. It's also my fault.