1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm curious... who's been around since the beginning?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Aug 8, 2001.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

And by that I mean the first year of the site's existence: ClutchCity '96...

This was the old college server version, with Super Mario's World I-VII, (I think there were 7...) and the old school Clutch Recaps...

I discovered the site when it was 2 weeks old... Just after the Barkley trade... Clutch helped me get my own page off the ground at the time... I guess we were both kind of learning HTML then... (remember the old Rockets kingpin, Marvin?)

Anyway... has anyone else been around that long?

:)

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe I came on late 96 early 97. The first year I was more of a lurker than a poster.

3. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I wasn't around from the beginning, but I got here as fast as I could....

I think mid-97 is when I first found the place. I actually found the Rockets WebRing first then the BBS later.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I've been here since 97 but didn't started posting until 2k.

#4 DEANBCURTIS, Aug 8, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2001
  5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I found this place in ate '97, but I didn't post 'til mid-late '98. My user name then was "Astro the Rocket." Anyone who read any of my posts back then knows that Karl Malone is actually a cousin of mine (twice removed, thank god). I used to rant about him and the Jazz (cheatin' bastards :mad: ). Anyway, I was actually more of a lurker back then (Kinda like now :) ).

Also, I still prefer the old Clutch recaps, BOLDS and ITALCS everywhere!! :D

6. DarkHorse

It's kind of funny... the only reason I wasn't really an active member of the early Clutch BBS is because of my church mission... I left in Sept. 97, and didn't get back till Sept. 99.... So although I did email Clutch about my chance meeting with La Phonso Ellis while I was doing my mission, I wasn't around really for the biggest time of change for the site... It was still on the college server when I left, and when I got back, it was just about to change to .net...

It's kind of funny, cause before I left I had my own Rockets page... there were about 2 or 3 back then that were second tier sites... I told Clutch that I was leaving, (he knows all about the church mission thing) and that I was shutting down my site...

Kind of funny, cause when I left he was like... well yeah... when you get back, you can be like a guest writer or something if you want... you know, have your own column...

Course, neither of us really realized that ClutchCity would become the global mega-site that it is now......

That's actually one of the reasons my name is DarkHorse... I just kind of sit in the background and admire what Clutch has done with the place...

It's really amazing...

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I hate to say I've "been here since the beginning", but I actually have.

I used to work at a very small, ****ty software company in Austin, and one of the programmers-- a guy named Victor, and I'll be goddamned if I can remember his last name-- found the original version of the site. He pointed it out to me, saying, "Look, a Rockets site, this is hilarious, come check it out!"

Well, I was way too busy working at my important job of Production Manager, managing the production of nearly two CDs per day, to look at some stupid Rockets website, so I immediately looked.

Glory, glory, hallelujah. I read Super Mario's World and almost cried laughing. Hilarious-- Clutch is still the funniest writer at this site, bar none. It was awesome.

I wonder if ol' Victor is out there somewhere reading this site-- if so, I hope he sees this and emails me. And if not, thanks anyway. If it hadn't been for him, it might have taken me years to find the site, and by that time, I might have logged into dot-com and ended up with two mouthfuls of Swindle's bull**** instead of the best goddamned fan-based sports website that's ever been.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Been here since 1996. I did a small fan site called The Rocket Zone and Clutch and I hooked up as a result. Needless to say, I eventually bailed on that idea and joine the cc. (ahem) net team. Clutch and I didn't actually meet until last year when he came down to see an Astros game, though. :)

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I don't recall exactly how early I got here that year, and it may have been around the Barkley trade, but I've been visiting since 1996. I remember the "Super Mario's World" columns -- they were HILARIOUS!! Since I discovered this site, it has been among my top time wasters.

When I visited, there was the link for the bbs. This sounds so moronic, but I didn't click on it for months, because I (get this!) thought it was info for a dial-up version of this, like the good old BBS of the day (Beginners RBBS, etc.). Finally, one day I clicked on it, and I realized what a moron I was :)

Eventually I started posting, and in late 97 decided on the name "Sigemund". I posted often until the second UBBS was installed, and I eventually stopped posting and visiting the BBS for lack of time. It was only recently when I got back into reading it, and posting under my new moniker.

Anyhow, I LOVE clutchcity.net, and I am so grateful to be able to visit every day.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

OK, I confess I've been here (mostly lurking) for pretty much the entire time. I was looking for a Rockets page and used to go to Deuce's Launch Pad, back in 1996. Eventually Chris shut it down and told everyone to go over to Clutch City (96? 97?). I didn't realize Clutch City was so new then. Not sure when I started checking out the BBS but definitely did a lot starting in '97 when I got better Internet access. Surfacing occasionally to post now and then.

No, I must not have anything better to do. :)

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I started lurking in late 97 ( I think....memory is not my strong suit). Been here ever since.

12. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I was here, lurking in the beginning as well. This place didn't have its own domain name yet, and I remember some of the old stories written from Mario Elie's viewpoint. I remember the Launch Pad a little, and something about Clutch and a college in Utah or something?

Okay, back to lurking. I've been on a relative posting spree - probably half my posts have been this year!

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've been here for awhile. Summer of '97 or so. I love this site. I waste more time here than I should.

:cool:

14. jamma34

jamma34 Member

been visiting since summer 97 (incidentally i found it right when i moved from houston), altho i didnt ever check out the bbs until much later

15. DarkHorse

I remember the Zone, Jeff... dang it... why didn't i jump on the CC boat sooner? LOL

You remember Nathan's Rockets Page? That was mine.... (yeah crappy name... but everything was crappy on the internet back then...)

16. DarkHorse

I wanna know what ever happened to the man simply known as the PROGRAMMER... Who is he? Is he still around? Does he really exists?

So many questions left unanswered...

BRING BACK SUPER MARIO'S WORLD!!!

"Clutch, I'm gonna kick your ass for tricking me into leaving the Rockets....." lol

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Hell, yeah, I remember Natha's Rockets Page. Those were wild days. I still have the old Zone logo and icons in a folder on my hard drive somewhere. I'll have to dig them up and post them. :)

18. ScreamingRocketJet

Been here since clutchcity97...I know that as my old "favourites"
    folder always listed that name:)

I think I used to post under the name Octagonal...he was a great race horse here in OZ and I'd just won a $hit load on him the day I first posted :D :D

19. DarkHorse

I had my whole website saved on my uncle's harddrive... but it CRASHED while I was on my church mission... so now I have NOTHING....

Oh well... it was a fun experience at the time...

;)

20. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

I don't remember exactly when I first visited the site, I think it was before Clutch got the domain name. If not, it was shortly after that. No... I'm sure I started coming here late 96. I've pretty much always been a lurker, only popping in every now and then. :)

Lord Tree