1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Obama was muslim would you vote for him?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 14, 2008.

?

Would you vote for him?

1. Yes

118 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think it should matter what religion he is.Yes I know he is not muslim and even if he was I wouldn't care.

Clarification:

This poll is assuming you would have voted for him if he is not a muslim.

#1 Air Langhi, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. myotuneric

myotuneric Member

just curious... had there ever been a non-Christian US president?

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If he had a great plan and message... sure, why not. I'm still waiting for the first openly atheist candidate. He'd never get so far as the election though. Then again we'd never have elected Jefferson or Lincoln because of that.

Religion is only ever introduced into political discussions to pander. If these guys are as smart as they should be they wouldn't be beholden to hard line controversial stances that only religions could be.

4. HombreDeHierro

I voted "no" because im not a fan of his. Or McCain's.

It was Ron Paul for me.

PS: Im Muslim

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure the OP did not intend for you to vote in this poll.

6. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Obama was born a Muslim (technically) and attended a Muslim school, so the dem primaries ought to give you your answer.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats funny i was born catholic and went to a school. never thought of it that way. sure as hell not catholic now.

yup

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your information is false. Obama did not attend a Muslim school. He attended public school.

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Tell us what you really mean. You're not an idiot. If the logic of your argument doesn't stick then lay it to rest. Unless you willingly mean to spread misinformation. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Clarify. I dare you.

You're never willing to connect A to B to C to D for a reason. Because you're full of...

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

how many thousands of posts more will it take for people to get sick and tired of made up crap. debate and conversation is fine, its what you should be here for.

but when its constant false information doesnt it get old.

and tj dont you get tired of it. i mean whats the point. just be factual. it may be less fun but keep on truckin'

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Is this poll assuming that we will
    1. vote
    2. vote for obama if he was not a muslim?

13. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

too much of a circumstance for a good answer on this....

what if John McCain was black? he sure as hell wouldn't be the republican nominee right now, and you can bet your ass on that.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Why not?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I probably wouldn't (not that I have a vote anyway).

16. Batman Jones

Why not?

17. Batman Jones

Don't we live in a country where race and religion aren't supposed to matter?

Don't we live in a country where the President swears to uphold the Constitution and not some religious or racial ideal?

Why the hell would any honest voter care which God our leader prays to? Or what color his or her parents were?

Is this America or isn't it?

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Because I don't feel comfortable with some elements of the Muslim religion as it is practiced in many parts of the world today, and I am still trying to figure out how much of the intolerance is only a matter of how the religion is practiced in some parts of the world and how much is inherent within the religion itself.

I guess it would also depend on how fundamentalist one is within their own religion. I see it in Turkey where the president is messing up the separation of church and state that is part of their constitution.

I agree that in general, it should not matter what someone believes in - however, it needs to be clear that the president shall not put his personal religious beliefs above the constitution. For the same reasons, I would not be comfortable with a fundamentalist Christian as well.

"Why the hell would any honest voter care which God our leader prays to?"

Well, would you feel the same way if the presidential candidate was a member of that Waco cult or of Scientology?

The problem I see is not with what God a leader prays to, but with how it may supercede constitutional values in the decisionmaking of the president.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Now back to the REAL world, race and religion always matter.

Only in an idealized lala land does race and religion not matter. Yea, that would be a nice place to live ...but that's not where we actually live.

I've argued many times that race/hertiage is a fundamental component of the human condition and affects our DAILY lives and affects virtually every decision we make that involves other people. Folks call me crazy everytime I say it but nobody has ever been able to discredit my position with a reasoned arguement.

Religion is essentially another part of the human condition that has been with mankind since civilizations started melting together. At this stage, it's also inseperable from our daily lives no matter who you are.

Ideally, as Americans we SHOULDN'T take race and religion into account ...but fact of the matter is ...we do. Once we acknowledge that race and religion aren't "politically correct" topics and instead treat them as "matter of fact" topics" and willing/able to talk about them openly in an educated manor, we'll always be in a quigmire.

The cliche is "we all should be color blind cause race doesn't matter" BULL$h1t.

Someone's race is their identity. Just like you are PROUD of what school you graduated from or what city you grew up in, people of different backgrounds are PROUD of their background and like to talk about ...with people who don't say uneducated things about them in the process.

So to tie it in, if people understood Muslim's better, this topic wouldn't even be relevant. Unfortunately, the topic is relevant.

But would I vote for him if he was Muslim? I dunno! If we WERE Muslim then he'd be a different man. Just like somebody else said, would I vote for McCain if he were black? If he were, McCain wouldn't be who he is today.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Look up "reasoned argument"

Look at the definition and the spelling.