1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If not Bosh, make a run at Marc Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jzmagic, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Jordan Hill or Patrick Patterson + Knicks 2011 swap option + 2012 Knicks pick

Why would we do this? Marc Gasol is one of the best big men in the game right now and he's still only 25. Here are his stats:

PER: 19.3
    TS: .617
    PPG: 14.6
    RPG: 9.3
    BLK: 1.6

Just for a reference, here's Scola's stats:

PER: 17.2
    TS: .550
    PPG: 16.2
    RPG: 8.6
    BLK: .3

Gasol is extremely efficient, averaging an elite .617 TS% while putting up 14.6 points. At 7'1 with elite size, wingspan, and standing reach he blocks shots and gives us a huge defense presence that we really need. He's very versatile, can play both the 4 and 5, so he can play a lot of 5 with Yao only limited to 25 mpg. Jordan Hill or PP don't come close in size and length to Marc Gasol.

Anyone who watched the Lakers-Celtics Finals can obviously see how big of an impact an elite bigman has on the game. Pau Gasol/ Bynum/ Odom is easily the best front court in the league with both their elite size and skills, and I think Marc Gasol/ Scola/ Yao can easily match that.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I support it. Or terrorist Bron.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not sure about both picks, but if it was Hill / PP + 1 NY pick, I'm all for it.

4. HOUSTONROCKETS5

Nah I would rather keep those NY picks..

I would offer...
    Patrick Patterson
    2012 HOU 1st rd pick(top 10 protected)

for

Marc Gasol

--RB

5. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

am I the only one that thinks we should go after Bynum? Yao for Bynum or use Bynum as a backup to Yao. 22 years old,bad knees,(but that lowers his trade value otherwise we would have no chance)

a healthy bynum is top 5 center in league. just like the "swap" of artest for ariza, both teams won,lakers got the championship,and we got the better player (ariza)

honestly 2 years from now, bynum will still be productive,and yao will either be retired or on crutches.

i say yao for bynum(and phil jackson might even do it since he is a buddhist)

6. RyanB

RyanB Member

Gasol -Yao would be a terror inside

7. tofu--

tofu-- Member

The issue is Bynum is hardly ever healthy and he's worth a fortune.

8. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

That would not be enough to pry him away.

Bynum is injury prone, why take the risk?

And Yao will not be traded for Bynum.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I agree, Gasol is a FA after this season and the Griz may want something for him in case he leaves. They have Thabeet and both Randolph and Gasol are FAs, I would almost rather have Gasol over Bosh, a legitimate 7'1'' center with athleticism is rare.

Other players set to expire that teams may be willing to trade since they may leave.

Paul Pierce
    Josh Howard
    Carmelo Anthony
    David West
    Jason Richardson

10. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I like Gasol, but I would not give up both picks.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Everything I hear indicated Bynum's knees are so shot he's likely to be out of the league in a year or two. And at 22 years of age, he still hasn't had a healthy season. And you want to trade Yao for him? That might be the craziest notion I've ever heard.

12. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

The Knicks are going to sign some FA's this offseason, lets not kid ourselves, those picks will be late first rounders. And what are the chances we land a talent comparable to Gasol in the next 2 drafts? It's highly unlikely given our position.

13. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what? I want some. :confused:

14. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

First off I would never give up all that for Marc Gasol. First off Marc started the year off real hot but dwindled as the season went on. He's Talented But come on three first round picks. Whats in the water where you guys are at. Anyone that thinks any one of the trade proposal is reasonable for a second round pick who a averages 14 and 7 is on one. :rolleyes:

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You want to swap out one guy recovering from surgery for another guy that just had surgery? :rolleyes:

16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This deal would make the Rockets contenders, and is absolutely worth both of the NY picks. I'd rather see this than just about any other deal the Rockets could make. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely.

17. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

You never know, Marc Gasol is most definitely on the list of targets for Morey. I think its good value for Memphis's side as well, since Gasol will be due for a big extension after next season, and they get a chance at the lottery in 2011 and 2012.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

My bad. Bynum hasn't had the surgery, yet. He will have it next month.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Memphis isn't giving him up. Even if they're worried about his impending free agency, he'll be worth more in a SnT than we're willing to offer.

20. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

It'll depend on what they see in Jordan Hill. Also, sources say Memphis was extremely close to picking Patrick Patterson so we know that there is definitely some interest there.

I'm not sure how much more Memphis can get, they get a pf potential prospect along with 2 future 1st picks that could turn out to be very valuable depending on the Knicks free agency.