1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iceland Travel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lurch, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

So my wife and I are looking into traveling to Iceland next summer. Has anyone ever been and have any recommendations on places to go to activities to pursue? Anything will be greatly appreciated.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They knit wonderful sweaters. Can't leave without doing some shopping!

[​IMG]

3. Two Sandwiches

Always wanted to go, and plan on it someday.

Will follow this thread.

4. diogenes

diogenes Member

I went to Reykjavik back in 2006. Do a search there's an Iceland thread I started back then that might be helpful.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Iceland. I haven't been but the lava fields sound interesting and there are scenic glaciers, fjords and geysers. I've heard Reykjavik has a good night life. What I've heard is not very good is traditional Icelandic food or dealing with the very difficult to pronounce Icelandic names and language. Thankfully it sounds like everyone speaks English.

6. pchan

pchan Member

I visited Iceland earlier this year. I stayed at Reykjavik and really enjoyed my stay there. It is one of the greenest cities in the world. If you like natural scenery and outdoor activities, you will really enjoy Iceland.

Here are a few things I'll suggest in order of priority:

1. Glacier walk/climb - It was an amazing experience to walk on the glacier and also did a little climbing on the glacier wall. Our tour guide was quite adventurous and actually fell into a hole and nearly killed himself, so that was exciting.

2. Blue Lagoon - It is well worth it. Definitely suggest you to go after a day of physical activity. It is beautiful, relaxing, and the water feels amazing.

3. Northern Light - It will probably be higher on my list if I actually saw the light. But I went with a tour and we just got dropped off in a viking cabin in the middle of nowhere and waited for HOURS and saw nothing. If you don't see the light, they let you join again the next night for free, but I really didn't have the time/patience for that. I read there are some tours that combine an outdoor spa with waiting for Northern Light, so if you don't see anything you are at least relaxing in a spa.

4. All the natural scenery - waterfalls, geysers, volcanoes... etc.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member