1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I want some players I can grow old with

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Mar 13, 2012.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just came to a realization about why I don't watch as many Rockets games as I used to. Its not because of the losing. The Rockets were a .500 team when I fell in love with them the year we went to the finals with Moses. We haven't been even close to contending since Drexler retired 14 years ago. The reason is because with the constant player movement. I don't get any time to get attached to any of the players or coaches. As soon as I get comfortable, they get fired or traded.

Les has it wrong. Its not just about winning a championship. Its about seeing players develop and grow and become part of the rockets family. Murphy never won us anything and lost more games than he won as a player but somehow he's probably the 2nd or 3rd most beloved rocket of all time. Its because he was a Rockets lifer and he is part of the family. This is a reason why Franchise was so popular even with his flaws. Les just doesn't get it.

I want the Rockets to settle on some young players, and I want to watch them grow and see what happens. If its a championship, then I would be ecstatic. If its not, I will keep hoping, dreaming, and supporting my the team. I want the Rocket's "family" back.

5 people like this.
  2. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I understand completely.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Some of our players are making me old. :rolleyes:

4. mario713

mario713 Rookie

WELL SAID!!!!

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

first you get the star, then you build around them

until that time, don't get attached to anyone

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't grow old with the majority of our roster. Screw that.

If we had Moses and Calvin to build around, things would be different.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

We have to get out of the 14th pick of the draft every year first. I completely agree with your point though!

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan, not a players fan. I don't care if we trade half the team every year or not, I just care if we win.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Serious question: Would you rather watch a bad ballclub year after year if all the players remain? Or would you rather watch a ballclub contend with roster turnovers?

I'm guessing most fans choose the latter. Just look at ticket sales for the Heat after they got Lebron/Bosh. In general, fans watch winners, not players they grow old with. It just so happens that star players rarely get traded, so you can grow old with them. But until we get a franchise player, it's not like I'm pumped to see the likes of Chuck Hayes night after night simply because he's been around for a while.

11. zigzag

zigzag Member

Man you've said exactly what I want !

This time I hope K-low can stay and retire in Houston.

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

99% sure this has more to do with Calvin being a Hall of Fame caliber player than it does with anything else.

13. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Valid point my friend...I think a lot of ppl are just player fans instead of being a team fan...cause the players are revolving doors but the teams stay forever

Been a fan of my Rockets since 1990 (born in 86)

14. hoplite

hoplite Member

I for one, disagree. It hasn't been that long since we had Yao (a fan fav and a houstonian for life), Les wasn't trading him, he was our player to "grow old with." now we are stuck midway and we are looking for that type of player we want around. I'm about winning. Championships, not losing every season. Losing every season makes it hard for players to want to be here.

I think there will be a day where we have our star and he stays in Houston for many years, but I never want to remain complacent with losing just so I can feel players are part of the family (too a degree), instead I want a powerhouse organization where players want to come here and be a part of Houston.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

This strategy sure is working well with the DHoward's and LeBron's of the world.

Unfortunately, it's rare nowadays that a player stays all in one place.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Always been a fan. Even after trading Steve Francis, Mobley, Hakeem Olajuwon!!!! Heck even when they traded for Barkley. That was the only time they should have never made a trade but I still stuck with them throwing away future runs by getting rid of Horry, Elie, and Cassel so they can go on to help other teams win many more Championships and playoff games. Will still be a fan if they start Johnny Flynn at point guard for the rest of the year.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Great post I couldn't agree more. Well maybe I want some players I can die with.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would have smashed my monitor by the third game

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Its not that I don't expect player turnover. I just want to see some continuity.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Moniker irony.