1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I think Raising Arizona is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 17, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

I don't think people recognize it enough or maybe they do. It's by the Coen Brothers, (Best filmmakers working in United States of America today) This was their first comedy after they made Blood simple which I believe was their first feature film. Raising Arizona is hilarious and I think it sort of set, which is now their foray into that sort of semi dark comedy rout which was repeated basically in most of their movies and a template of their style of film-making. It also has great performances by Nicolas Cage who people continue to **** on because they think it's funny but he's awesome in this movie as is Holly Hunter and that baby. I mean it has John Goodman in it, Frances Mcdormand, what more could you ask for? It's not like a serious movie or anything, just a brilliant film period.

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I think people started shatting on Cage after he came out with a slew of mediocre movies in the late 00s

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't think it was all that

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree

But as far as Nicholas Coppola is concerned. He is like Michael Cain. He will do any movie. Leaving Las Vegas was a oscar gift to him to legitimize him. He didn't deserve that oscar imso

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

You sumbitch. I think you're a damn fool, VHB. I said so - H.I. McDonnough. If you want to discuss it, you know where to find me: in the Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men State Farm, Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona! I'LL BE WAITIN'! I'll be waitin'.

crose likes this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

One of my all-time favorite comedies.

"I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash ya got."

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

nicolas cage? why do people hate on the man who gave us this greatness?

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  8. VanityHalfBlack

LOL:grin:

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

That Buford, he's a sly one...already knows his ABC's. Watch this. Hit the deck, boy!

crose likes this.
  10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I disagree on Cage not deserving the win. 96' was a weak year for male performances and of those nominated only Hopkins in Nixon was the only legit challenger but he'd just one a few years back for Silence of the Lambs. Sean Penn's 'Dead Man Walking' was total Oscar bait and people just hated him in general. Hanks (Apallo) or Gibson (Braveheart) might have posed a challenge but they weren't nominated.

Before cage started taking the money jobs in Jerry Bruckheimer films he was a really great actor with considerable range. Could give you manic performances and nuanced ones like Peggy Sue Got Married, Moonstruck and Raising Arizona. Bad Lieutenant was vintage Cage.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

it was one of my all time favorite films since I watched it as a kid growing up.

you got a panty on your head.

12. heypartner

Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking was a vastly superior performance to playing a drunk for 2 hours

Don't get me started. The Hollywood industry wanted to give the Coppola boy a win to legitimize him

13. Raven

Raven Member

After he won an Oscar, he stopped caring but his work prior to that was mostly gold. It's hard for anyone under 40 to believe that there was a time when Cage was considered one of the best actors of his generation, but it's true.

Note that he is the same age as the other brat pack actors yet managed to avoid working with any of them (smart move). He (along with Penn) were on another level. They were the cream of the crop, but then he won an academy award and decided he'd prefer to be a movie star instead of an actor and spent the rest of the 90s becoming a cliche.

Actually, looking at his filmography, he started going downhill after Vampire's Kiss, but he owned the 80s.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. heypartner

I told you all, don't get me started on this.

You say Sean Penn and Nicholas Coppola were the only brat packs on the same level. That's not correct

In the defining brat pack movie, Fast Times at Richmont High, there was three future male Oscar winners. Can you name the third? Here's a hint. He didn't speak in fast times

Nicholas Coppola was not even the 3rd best actor in Fast Times

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh...Fast Times at Ridgemont High didn't have any of the brat pack in it so I am not sure how it was their defining movie.

16. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Agreed, "Raising" is a gem that HARDLY gets it's due.

How often do you even see it replayed on cable? FU HBO. FU.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Forest Whitaker, but he did have some lines in the movie.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I always thought the defining brat pack movie was "St. Elmo's Fire"?

A boola boola boola oh oh oh.

lol. Hated that movie.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

"You got those Earth, Wind and Fire tickets?"

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Abortions, drug deals, prominent black characters and not based in suburban Chicago. Fast Times was a reboot and merging of the stoner/surfer memes and fairly pointed social satire, not a re-validation of white flight.