1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I stopped listening to Music for 3 months..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Jul 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

.. and I swear to you I became smarter. Somewhere around the 1st or 2nd month, I stopped watching tv channels and resorted to picking and choosing which shows I want to watch online. I also cut out radio (except news, sports, talk radio, etc).

I'm telling you, it had a profound effect on me and I became so much more productive with my time.

I used to listen to music basically 24/7.

I've decided to stick to this plan while selectively creating a database of songs only for when I go to the gym, and the songs have to fit a ceratin criteria: no cussing, no hoes, no alcohol, no drugs, etc + it has to send me a positive message (something that will push me to do something good/productive).

Has anyone else ever tried this? I think those who are listening to music ALL the time must have probably had a similar experience at some point.

2. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

That's pretty cool that you have been more productive. I've never seen music to be such a distraction though. Were you downloading new stuff everyday, or just listening to your collection?

I've been thinking about cutting down on my tube time - after all it is a time vampire with little or no productive value.

3. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

music is my life..

i don't think i would ever try this..ever...but thats just me.

maybe you should try not listening to music like for 5 years straight..hopefully you'll get so smart you'll discover a cure for cancer or something.

anyways, congratulations on becoming smarter! :cool:

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think if I stopped listening to music, I would actually get dumber.

5. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Stop listening to music? What?

I just wanna dance......I wanna dance!

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't listen to much music any more.

I attempt to play it though.

Guitars is fun'

7. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I don't ever listen to music unless I have to. I play music for a living and I'll listen if I have to learn a song, but when I'm in the car or at home I don't listen to music. My ipod has audio books on it so that's what I listen to when driving or doing work around the house.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I like that you think music is a waste of time, but you'll still listen to sports/talk radio. I can't think of a bigger waste of time than those.

9. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

So did this guy.
    Kinda NSFW
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8ScQoSuEYo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8ScQoSuEYo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I went to a Coldplay concert at an outdoor pavillion with my son and wife a week back. They played Yellow...there were clouds all around us...and flashes of lightning....and I listened to the music considering that the sentiment in the lyrics was akin to something God might say to mankind. And I felt very much connected to God in that moment.

I don't know if I'm dumber for it....but I'm glad I had the experience.

I went to see The Fray Saturday night at the same outdoor pavillion with my wife; a group we both enjoy. Sharing the experience of music with someone I love deeply.

I don't know if I'm dumber for it...but I'm glad I had the experience.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

you must be listening to a lot of crap :rolleyes:

12. sbyang

sbyang Member

I bet you'd get even smarter if you stopped the sports radio.

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

My theme song:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vgXXnEC_37w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vgXXnEC_37w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ain't gonna happen around here buddy.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Manny faints.

4 people like this.
  15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Life is a big block of time to be filled. You should strive to fill it with whatever you find positive and rewarding. Love, kids, work, music, TV, a buzz, religion, meditation, academic study, athletics, exercise, charity work, animals.

As a confirmed slacker and misanthrope I choose the more passive forms with very little guilt. (well, a little guilt)

What you don't want to do though, is to get committed to more negative experiences than you have to. Worry, hate, uncomfortable relationships, pain etc. A lot of that comes at you in unavoidable ways anyway so you need to be considering what makes you happy and making the choices you can to maximize that.

That does take some honest self reflection. And music can be a good background or even catalyst for that. Seems the OP has decided to limit what he sees as negative distractions. good work!

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I had a similar experience at a Weird Al concert a few years ago. ;)

But seriously, to the OP.. some of us think that listening to music IS a productive use of time. Maybe the music you listened to was more of a negative factor than the fact that you listen to it a lot. You'll have a hard time convincing me that listening to something as beautiful as Smetana's The Moldau, for instance, is anything BUT a productive use of time.

17. Convictedstupid

Yeah Coldplay was freaking amazing that night... It was such a good show.

Im not that big of a fan of the Fray, but I went anyways... Not a bad concert... Im just not the biggest fan and they played the 4 songs I do know at the beginning so that sorta killed the rest of the show for me.

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

70's - Turned off the radio when disco hit the airways
    80's - Heard contemporary music as a bartender in numerous live venues around Houston
    90's - Talk radio fan, Christian Rock fan
    00's - MP3 fan

Except for the 90's, I lived without the radio, BUT music was never far from my reach...like from the couch to the guitar stand, easy reach! :cool:

19. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I usually cycle through the radio (plain FM - no satellite, no HD). I'll listen for a while and get tired of everything out there, stop long enough to be out of touch, and then start listening again. I think it's because I'm too young to be out of touch with music just yet. And because I'm horrible about exploring and discovering new music on my own. I need the radio to boss me around.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have over 40K tracks scrobbled on my Last.FM account. I would go insane without music. But regarding tv, I watch about an hour or two per week. I haven't turned on the radio in years though as well.

Here is a scientific study on music preferences and smarts.

[​IMG]