1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"I have no idea whether we'll find out who the leaker is," Bush told reporters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Oct 8, 2003.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

White House Says Three Senior Aides Innocent in Leak
    Oct 7, 5:47 pm ET

By Randall Mikkelsen
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House said on Tuesday it had ruled out three senior aides as possible sources for a news leak disclosing the name of a CIA operative and President Bush said the case may never be resolved.

"I have no idea whether we'll find out who the leaker is," Bush told reporters after he met with his Cabinet. "I'd like to. I want to know the truth."

He spoke ahead of an internal White House deadline for officials to turn over information sought in a Justice Department probe of the leak, which has become the latest controversy surrounding Bush's decision to go to war against Iraq.

After the 5 p.m. deadline passed, White House officials said the records were still being compiled and could not immediately be characterized. Democrats launched new criticisms, urging senior Bush political aide Karl Rove to resign over the case and raising concerns over White House handling of the records sought.

Earlier, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Rove, vice presidential chief of staff Lewis Libby, and National Security Council senior director Elliott Abrams had each told him they denied leaking the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

"They were not involved in leaking classified information, nor did they condone it," he said.

Plame's husband, former diplomat Joseph Wilson, has accused the administration of disclosing her name in retaliation for his public criticisms of Bush's case for an Iraq war.

Abrams pleaded guilty in 1991 of lying to Congress in the Iran-Contra controversy and was pardoned by former President George Bush.

Democratic U.S. Rep. John Conyers of Michigan urged Rove in a letter to resign, saying Rove sought to give the leak "wider currency" even if he may not have been the source.

Bush said he did not know whether the criminal probe would find the leaker.

"I've instructed this staff of mine to cooperate fully with the investigators," he said. But he said Washington was "full of people who like to leak information," and reporters were practiced at protecting sources.

POLITICAL DAMAGE FOR BUSH?

The issue has threatened further political damage for Bush, whose poll standing has been hurt by continued instability in Iraq following the U.S.-led invasion in March.

Wilson has accused the administration of retaliation after he published an article disputing Bush's claims that Iraq had tried to acquire nuclear-weapons material in Africa.

The claims, which Wilson had investigated in Niger on a mission for the CIA, were part of Bush's case for war. The White House later said the evidence was unsubstantiated.

White House counsel Alberto Gonzales last week directed staffers to hand over records relating to Plame or Wilson and his trip to Niger.

Also sought were records of contacts with columnist Robert Novak, who disclosed Plame's CIA job in July, and Timothy M. Phelps and Knut Royce of Newsday, who cited intelligence officials as confirming Novak's story.

White House Chief of Staff Andy Card told staffers, "The sooner we complete the search and delivery of documents, the sooner the Justice Department can complete its inquiry -- and the sooner we can all return our full attention to doing the work of the people."

McClellan said responses would be collected by Gonzales before being handed to the Justice Department, which he said has various deadlines over the next two weeks.

New York Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer he was "troubled" by Gonzales's role, but McClellan said it was customary.

"The White House counsel seems to be a gatekeeper and I want to know what precautions Justice is taking to ensure that it gets all relevant information," Schumer said.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sounds like he wants to get to the bottom of it.

Nice to have a president with integrity.

DD

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am glad to know from the outset of this investigation that Karl Rove, Lewis Libby, and Elliott Abrams are completely innocent.

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Early on, he was confident enough to promise to track down terrorists hiding in caves on the other side of the world, but early on, he speculates we may never find the leak in the Whitehouse?

Not sounding too good to me, DD. Do you really think that rings with integrity?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is like OJ pledging to find the real killers. Or Bush when he pretended that he wasn't friends with Ken Lay.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hmmmm...not Rove, not Lewis Libby, and not Elliott Abrams....

Where's John Dean when you really need him? :D

7. Murdock

Murdock Member

This is like OJ pledging to find the real killers. Or Bush when he pretended that he wasn't friends with Ken Lay.

When did President Bush ever pretend that he wasn't friends with Mr Lay?

What? Do you honestly think John Ashcroft's Justice Department would be so corrupt as to not do a complete investigation?

What if anything has Bush/Ashcroft done to give you such a negative impression?

President Bush from early on in his administration has attempted to keep a very tight grasp on classified information, see this article form back in 2001

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/101001/LOCbushinfo.shtml

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Right here!!!!:D

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Sam.
    I think this gets to some of the meat in this article:

As for claims by the Bush administration that it can avoid conflict-of-interest problems by turning the investigation of leaks about Plame over to career professionals rather than to Bush political appointees, that's nonsense. That would merely turn the clock back to the initial Watergate investigation, which was conducted by career professionals. Years ago, I testified about how helpful those career attorneys were, and as the White House tapes later proved, these professionals (men with impeccable credentials) kept the Nixon White House fully informed of their investigation, as did the FBI, thereby facilitating the coverup.

Of course, Attorney General Ashcroft should appoint an independent prosecutor, or even two, as Calvin Coolidge did (a Republican and a Democrat) to investigate Teapot Dome. That would be the smart move, with a staggering 70 percent of Americans saying he should appoint a special prosecutor, and 83 percent of those polled saying this is a serious matter, according to the Washington Post.

But most importantly, I believe that Wilson and Plame hold the keys to resolving this matter: with a civil lawsuit. This was one of the hidden keys to Watergate, though it was never fully turned. But had Joe Califano's lawsuit not been slowed down by a Nixon-friendly judge, Watergate would have ended much earlier. So can this scandal -- if the Wilsons choose to take that route.

Bush is going to find himself a passenger on a runaway train... he better replace the crew in a hurry before his presidency derails.

10. Murdock

Murdock Member

Absolutely not, I think this will end up being little more than a mild annoyance to the Bush admin.. Considering that its mostly hard Democrat partisens that are pushing this invesigation and they have no power in the greater scheme than to complain and whine.

The fact remains that there hasn't been any proof of any wrongdoing given, other than alligations.

Republicans have seen no reason to doubt the integrity of the Bush Admin.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then, no offense, there are some Republicans with their head in the sand.

12. Timing

Timing Member

And other than the name becoming leaked of course. It didn't become known through osmosis.

13. Cohen

Technically, it's only a crime if the leaker was aware that Plame was an undercover agent.

Since no one is jumping forward, it could be a valid assumption, but it's still not yet proven.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's clear that whoever leaked the name also knew the status. The way Novak wrote it, what he said immediately afterwards, what Wilson related, and a host of other things support the fact. In addition, just yesterday, the President said it was a criminal act.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Cohen -
    What you say is true in a criminal court. The burden of proof and the function of intent are far different if they take Dean's advice and go to a civil court system. Think the OJ analogy...criminal = not guilty; civil = guilty.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Why do I have a feeling that Bush doesn't <i>want </i>to know who the "leaker" is?

Oh hell, president Rove doesn't tell him anything anyway.

17. Murdock

Murdock Member

Why do I have a feeling that Bush doesn't want to know who the "leaker" is?

Don't be rediculous, of course IF a crime has been commited in the Bush White House he wants to get to the bottom of it...

As I have illustrated earlier, the President takes leaks of classified information VERY seriously and has from the beginning... to the extent of even limiting information to congress..

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Don't be rediculous, of course IF a crime has been commited in the Bush White House he wants to get to the bottom of it...

Why do you think that Bush feels so powerless to discover who is doing this among his "senior officials"?

Does this reflect a lackk of competence on Bush's part or a lack of respect for him by his staff? I'm puzzled why he would feel so unsure of whether he could discover who did this>

19. Cohen

I'm only repeating what Wolf Blitzer and some analysts stated on CNN. I'm no federal attorney.

20. Cohen

I understand the difference between civil and criminal.

I am only referring to what concern me, which is criminal.