1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I got a call from a friend....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TB3, Dec 10, 2000.

1. TB3

TB3 Member

who told me about rumblings in the Chicago press about a blockbuster 3 way trade between Chicago, Minnesota, and Houston. Supposedly, Minnesota wants cap room, and Chicago wants Garnett. I fooled around with the realgm.com for an hour and this is the only trade I could get to work. Has anybody else hear the same rumors?

houston trades: Hakeem Olajuwon $16,700,000 to minnesota
    houston trades: Shandon Anderson $2,200,000 to chicago
    houston trades: Jason Collier $1,190,760 to chicago
    TOTAL: $20,090,760
    chicago trades: Ron Mercer $5,515,152 to houston
    chicago trades: Brad Miller $4,000,000 to houston
    chicago trades: Elton Brand $3,629,160 to minnesota
    chicago trades: Marcus Fizer $2,562,000 to houston
    chicago trades: Jamal Crawford $1,762,320 to houston
    chicago trades: Fred Hoiberg $880,000 to houston
    TOTAL: $18,348,632

minnesota trades: Kevin Garnett $19,607,350 to chicago
    TOTAL: $19,607,350

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to houston and minnesota being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. houston and minnesota had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

houston would also receive a trade exemption of $5,471,288 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Be aware that this exemption will be extinguished if the team which possesses it falls below the cap by the combined amount of the exemptions it currently possesses.

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

I don't know about that trade. . . I doubt that Minnesota would trade Garnett for anything, but I also don't see where Chicago would benefit too much either. If they kept Fizer, I could see this helping them, but it seems kinda lopsided for the Rockets right there.

4. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Member

from a rockets standpoint it looks ridiculous. fizer hasnt played that great. we trade dream for no guranteed star. the press will grill us. we dont need crawford or mercer. we already have one ballhog SG.

dont even get me started on fred hoiberg.
    brad miller is a backup. tell me why we do this trade? unless chicago gives us all there draft picks and brand or somehow delivers odom or marion sorry no i wouldnt trade dream. we arent some NBA broker team.

------------------
    --TEX

5. AT

AT Member

That trade looks horrible and would most likely end my being a Rockets fan.

------------------
    "He said hop on his back and he was goin' ta take us to the promise land...and that' what he done." -- Robert Horry '95

6. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Finally, a trade scenario in this BBS NOT in favor of the Rockets [​IMG]

------------------
    Will the REAL Steve Francis, please step up! I repeat....

[This message has been edited by CompaqC (edited December 10, 2000).]

7. TB3

TB3 Member

I am not saying this is a trade that might happen. I just heard a rumor about a three team trade to create cap room for Minnesota, get Garnett to Chicago, and it had the Rockets involved.

I am just trying to figure out how that kind of trade might possibly work.

------------------

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If the Rockets are gonna be involved in such a trade, I don't see why they don't just swap Hakeem, Shandon, KT, and as many draft picks as possible straight up for Garnett.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

9. grummett

grummett Member

Agreed. Why is Chicago's involvement necessary?

------------------

10. Stone Cold Hakeem

Grummet --

From the looks of it, its a Brand for Garnett swap with Houston brokering the deal.

I dunno -- I think if Fizer and Crawford were sent to Minnesota and Brand moved here it'd be a pretty decent deal.

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

How is that a bad deal for houston? even though the trade is made up.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

No Mercer! He's got no defense, and isn't much different than Cut-Tino. In this deal, maybe send him to Minn.(they do need scorers) and send Sczerbiak to us?

So in the aftermath, that'd leave our lineup at:

Cato/Miller
    Taylor/Fizer/KT
    Sczerbiak/Walt/Bullard/Langhi
    Mobley/Crawford
    Francis/Moochie

I don't see Chicago giving Crawford up in this deal. With this lineup, hypothetically, I would look into obtaining a good defensive SG (Tariq Abdul-Wahad comes to mind) in exchange for Walt and/or KT.

So, Rockets side looks good IMO.
    Minnesota trades KG and Sczerbiak for Mercer, Brand, Olajuwon (cap room, big man tutor, "star" in Brand, good scorer next to Brandon in backcourt.)

Chicago gets Garnett, Collier, Shandon, for Brand, Fizer, Crawford (?), Hoiberg making their team:
    Tarlac/Bagaric/Collier
    Garnett
    Artest
    Anderson
    Crawford(?)
    Not deep, but talented.

I can not see a blockbuster of this proportion happening, but your friend could be right, and some form of this could happen. How reliable/connected is he?

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Why would Minnesota want to create cap room by giving up one of the best players in the league who happens to be in his early 20s? Damn, I'm so bored that I have to respond to these types of threads.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

NIKE: agreed, Mercer bites. I do not want him on my team. I think Cuttino is way better than him, skill-wise and morale-wise.

I don't know if your scenario is that much better though. Maybe if the Rockets ended up with Chicago's #1 pick instead of Crawford... [​IMG]

------------------
    snap crackle pop

15. Achebe

Achebe Member

This is interesting... add to this that old rumor of Houston for T. Brandon and things get saucey... perhaps a 2nd deal that facilitates Chicago getting a point for their newly acquired MVP candidate.

Chicago would get instantaneous respect by FAs if they had KG. If the $$$ situation is truly debilitating to Minn., acquiring Brand is definitely making the best of a bad situation.

I still think the Rockets should try pulling the Heisman w/ that Camby + Houston = Dike rumor. Dream's better than Dikembe, and Camby + Houston would get the Rockets into the POs this year.

But, TB3's rumor totally blows from the Rockets' perspective, so it must be true.

------------------
    Senior GOP strategists say privately that a key reason the Bush campaign did not ask for a statewide recount was it feared that Gore would pick up more votes than Bush, because of the high rate of ballot spoilage in black precincts. - MSNBC.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

HEB-Hakeem doesn't shut down an offense like he used to, and Mutumbo can. In the event of a trade, I don't see nearly as much interest or offer(s) for Hakeem compared to Mutumbo.

On Mutumbo, didn't The Suns have something like Marion, Googs, and Rogers on the table for him? Now, The Suns won't even give Marion.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

17. Achebe

Achebe Member

NIKE... I pulled this out into another thread just to get more input on this exact topic (and to not take away from TB3's thread).

------------------
    Senior GOP strategists say privately that a key reason the Bush campaign did not ask for a statewide recount was it feared that Gore would pick up more votes than Bush, because of the high rate of ballot spoilage in black precincts. - MSNBC.

18. vj23k

vj23k Member

i dont think i would do this deal. giving up an icon, my favorite player(tied with steve, dream, and a couple others), and a rookie that i like, all for a pg that hasnt done a thing , a 6'7 power forward that hasnt done a thing, a ballhogging sg that cant even shoot, a better than average BACK UP(nothing else) big man, and fred hoiberg(probably just cap filler

would this trade make minny better? no way. KG is the franchise. he led them to their first playoff series in his second season.

Would this make Chi-town better? maybe, but it takes away the little depth that they had.

Would this make houston better? I dont think so unless fizer picks it up, mercer plays some defense, and crawford SOMEHOW develops into a good player while playing behing francis, mobley, mercer, and maybe moochie(Rudy might opt to let crawford develop and make mooch take a seat as the 5th guard on the team)
    and since i think mooch is one of hte best back up point guards in the league i dont think that should happen either.,

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

the only thing we want from chicago would be their picks. the only thing we want from minnesota is garnett. no way should hakeem be traded for anyone else. actually hakeem should not be traded period!

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    THE WASHINGTON SUCKSKINS!!!!!!! My Cowboys might SUCK, but its nice to know that we can always rely on the SUCKSKINS to be our B**CH!!!!

20. Live

Live Member

Sounds like wishful thinking on Chicago's side. The worst thing that the Wolves could do right now is to trade KG. Not only would you move one of the best in the league, but it would undoubtedly ruin team chemistry and official place Minn. into a massive rebuilding project. They've already made one mistake and been caught, so why make another one? [​IMG]

And IMO, when the dust settles, Minn. might be better off for getting caught and NOT signing Smith to that HUGE "secret" deal. NO WAY Smith is supposed to make more than 3 MIL a year (and THAT'S generous). It's as if someone inside the organization leaked the deal to the NBA in order to save the franchise.

------------------
    "We make a lot, but we spend a lot." Patrick Ewing, alumnus, Georgetown University