1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Humor: Karma cost us championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Jul 13, 2018.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Gotta love dmorey’s Sense of humor.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/daryl-morey-rockets-missing-27-220931352.html

Do you remember what happened in Game 6 of the 2015 Western Conference Semifinals?

In case you forgot -- the Clippers led the Rockets by 19 points with a little over two minutes left in the third quarter. The Rockets ended up winning by 12 points and then won Game 7 back in Houston (before falling to the Warriors in the West Finals).

Do you remember what happened in Game 7 of the 2018 Western Conference Finals?

In case you forgot -- the Rockets missed 27 straight 3-pointers and lost at home to the Warriors.

"Basically, this year's 0-for-27 was a makeup for Corey Brewer, Josh Smith and Terrence Jones hitting 3s against the Clippers," Houston GM Daryl Morey said on The Bill Simmons Podcast. "It was like the karma flipping.

"The three worst shooters in NBA history are (Charles) Barkley, Brewer and Josh Smith. We had two of 'em."

In the fourth quarter vs the Clippers, Smith went 3-for-4 from deep and Brewer went 2-for-3.

Smith's career 3-point percentage -- 28.5.

Brewer's career 3-point percentage -- 28.3.

Barkley's career 3-point percentage -- 26.6.

Good stuff.

da_juice, Invisible Fan and ramotadab like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

At least we have Michael Carter Williams now.

RyanB, harold bingo, Easy and 5 others like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Now Melo will be here to shoot 24% from 3 in crucial games

RyanB and RayRay10 like this.
  4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

24% is better than 0% ;)

RyanB, rockbox, rocketman12 and 3 others like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think karma was a major factor - but nothing relating to that previous run...

for all the b****in and bellyaching about the officiating in the conclusion of the GSW series I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned, but...
    The officiating sucked - why? everybody automatically goes to 'basketball reasons' in that Silver had an agenda - wanted GSW in the finals vs Bron...

How about the officials dont like guys that make their job harder (who does?)... If I was an official... and I had CP3 and his history of phantom flops trying to trick me into making a wrong call... and James harden who basically made a mockery of officiating by 'manipulating the system' to get ticky tack calls, his previous utilization of the 'hook and pull the defender into me' move, and in general bringing about a greater level of scrutinization based on his unorthodox way of getting calls... this would be my least favorite team as an official...

As these points were brought up previously on this board... to a resounding 'idc, whatever it takes to win' ...well.... nobody likes someone making their job harder and bringing about greater scrutinization to their job and people manipulating the system they uphold - including officials... so while nobody on here cared about these actions (as long as they produced wins)... those chickens came home to roost.... karma is a b****...

el gnomo likes this.
  6. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Karma, who he? I thought he's a journalist.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Give me a break. Like the Warriors aren't equally offensive when it comes to egregious flopping, illegal picks, groin kicks, grabbing jerseys, etc.?

The Rox are no harder to officiate than the Warriors are. Maybe even easier.

RyanB, clutchdabear, da_juice and 3 others like this.
  8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Serious: why does Morey refuse to get, at least a couple, elite 3 point shooters?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is karma the name of the next Free agent signing?

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Morey is wrong. DMo's butt sweat is the bad karma that cost us the championship.

Easy likes this.
  11. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Yep, Melo would never go 0-12 in a game 7. He'll make atleast 3 of those 12 shots. Which is still alot better than none.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hahahaha - Morey throwing analytics shade at Barkley - that HAD to have been intentional. I love it.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats so impressive

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Was Karma in the bathroom when the Warriors were hot dogging it, celebrating with their stacked team during games as they blew teams out easily? That is the karma I want to see - those GS guys are way too arrogant to deserve to win yet another title.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trevor Ariza 0-9 from 3 point shots, 0-12 from the field. One problem is gone. Luc didn't play at all this postseason healthy.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

IB4TL

dupe thread

17. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

18. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Cp3 the victim of both

tinman likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

"The three worst shooters in NBA history are (Charles) Barkley, Brewer and Josh Smith. We had two of 'em."

I thought Murray was exaggerating for effect. Nope:

Here are the stats.

Of all the NBA players in history who have shot 1000 or more 3pts, those three are DEAD LAST.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

Rockets choked in game 7 aside from the refs, Ariza, Harden, Gordon & Green all were terrible. If only one had made around 4-6 we would've won. MCW and Melo will not make our odds better at winning in such a situation. Counting on CP3's health is also not healthy. Morey has to do some work at the deadline.