1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Huge Computer Question...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Two Sandwiches

Okay, so I have my graduation money in...it was 411 bucks...with small amounts still coming in.

So, here's the question...

There are two computers in question. One is less expensive, comes with everything I need, but is a little less equipped. The other is more equipped, doesn't come with a monitor or printer. Remember, I'm only getting this computer for internet(research, aim, etc.), college papers, and maybe a little (nowhere near hardcore or anything) gaming. By gaming, I mean cheap, easy games, too.

Here are the specs...you tell me which is the better deal, and which I should go for:

The cheaper one:

299 dollars, plus shipping (about 398 bucks for 2 day shipping)

-Intel Celeron Processor(2.40 Ghz, 128kb Cache, 400 Mhz FSB)
    -Windows XP
    -256 MB Shared DDR SDRAM
    -80 GB Hard Drive
    -17'' Monitor
    -48x Cd burner
    -Dell a215 Speakers
    (It's a Dell)

The other is an Emachine, that I could get shipped (hard drive alone for 417 bucks...meaning I'd have to save a little more)

Processor Brand IntelĀ® CeleronĀ® D

Total Memory 512MB DDR

Capacity 80GB

Optical Drive Type DVD-ROM/CD-RW

Audio Description Integrated Audio

Graphics Description Integrated Graphics

These are just copied from other websites, so I know nothing else about them. Thanks for any help and guidance.

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

build your own pc

3. Two Sandwiches

I don't know nearly enough to do that, and I don't know of anyone that could for me.

4. droxford

droxford Member

I don't like either spec. I don't ever recommend a celeron. Can you wait til a Pentium deal appears? (watch www.techdeals.net everyday for a dell special).

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...n&s=bsd&DGSite=qIrAQtIR7hCqAkYzPW3m0038155069

Free flat panel Monitor too..JUMP ON IT

just upgrade the hard drive if you want and the burner and it should run about $500

much better than the ones you posted above

Celerons are weaaak

BUT since your doing like word processing and what not the celeron might be ok but still I would still get the Pentium 4 its only $100 more than your willing to spend but I think its a worthy upgrade

#5 KaiSeR SoZe, Jul 11, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Yeah, your priority should be to get a flat panel in the bundle since, fast or slow computer, you'll be seeing that screen all the time.

7. Two Sandwiches

Is an AMD Sempron processor a viable option, or are those crap?

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

Those are if not cheaper, than AMD Durons, if im not mistaken.

I'd hop on that Dell deal.

One word of advice, stay away from the E Machines, those are the most POS computers out there. I've worked for EV1 the past 5 years, and those POS were at most of the customer's PCs. Those give hardware issues all the time, plus their software they put is crap.

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

Guys, if he is going to be using the PC for only internet, papers, IM and some games like minesweeper he will never notice the bump in the core or FSB.. the ONLY things I would look for besides a cheap price is

1. Most RAM for money

2. Best Warranty (at that price you wont get onsite, but look for a longer send in)

3. Best Monitor (stay away from the "F" line Dell 19 Inch LCDs

I've only delt with 2 Emachines before and one of the PS die and had to be replaced.. So I cant tell you about overall how good or bad they are..

10. huypham

huypham Member

Jump on the dell, get the 80 gig HD for $20 more. I know it's a tad out of your price range, but it's the most bang for your buck. You do NOT want to be running less than 512 megs of RAM. The 17inch LCD is worth $175 at least, and you're getting it for free.

Celerons should be okay for what you're doing (along with Durons). BUT - if it's only ~$80 more to get the GOOD chip, rather than the stripped down version, it's totally worth it to get the extra cache and performance. Think of it as a long term investment. You don't want to be upgrading anytime soon.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

FORGET a new computer. Invest that valuable money in a DRUG COMPANY's STOCK. I hear it's going well for them, since they're starting to train ALL their employees they think will succeed. I see you're turning 18, so I think it's best for you to do that now. If possible, get a job with them. Man, that would be awesome, to get a job, get trained, and get stock from the same company! SWEET.

Unless, of course, you have some health reasons or missing some body parts, then I'd use the money for the HOSPITAL bills. ;)

Dude, you're getting a DELL.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, just ask all those former Enron employees!

13. swilkins

swilkins Member

Neither would be considered a huge computer. ;)

I would have said the first one, had it not been a Dell. I'm not a Dell fan. Been burned 9 ways to Sunday on that.

If you can gather another 200 bucks you could look into a decent notebook. Then you can take it to and from school.

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

While on the subject of new computers....

I got alot of help here a while back on what computer I should buy so I guess I'll give an update here. :D

I ended up getting a Dell with 512mb of Ram and a 160Gig hard drive for just over $900 Aussie dollars. I didnt get a DVD bruner as I have one already I will use as an external DVD burner.

Anyway, I was really happy with the deal I got, its CHEAP for what I wanted. I couldnt have done it without a bit of help from CC.net. ;)

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Member

Glad to hear it

"OH... By the way, YOU"RE WELCOME!!!"
    [​IMG]
    ;)

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Thanks! SIncerely,
    [​IMG]

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

I'll help you pick the parts and build it when the parts arrive. Once you learn how easy it is, you can spread the joy to others. :) Give me your aim and we can discuss what parts you want/need.

18. davo

davo Member

If there is one thing you ever take from me, it should be this advice. Do not, under any circumstances, buy an emachine. My emachine experience was excruciating, and is weell documented in this forum.

Go to http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php and get that Pentium deal for $449 delivered.

19. Two Sandwiches

After searching just about everywhere I could think of, I gave in and bought this one...it seems to be well-adapted to suit my needs.

EBAY!

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

That's a decent deal Eddie. I'd look for a video card. One with 256 onboard RAM will future proof any requirements (like Longhorn). I'd also up the RAM at least a gig.

None of these are pressing for your needs and Longhorn won't ship at least until early next year.

Nice.

I got a good deal on my Dell too.

There are good and cheap deals from them whenever the financial quarter is about to end.