1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hubie Brown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mozart123, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

That may be so but just the fact she's a woman makes it bad. I just do not like it, because when a woman talks about men playing sports it makes them always sound like smartasses. It bugs the hell out of me, a woman as a sideline reporter is bad enough except for Hanna Storm, she was good but she wasn't like the rest, for example the worst one: that piece of shhhhh from TNT who hands out the award at the dunk contest, just plain awful. Same goes for Anna Megan or that other woman who does Rockets Insider with Bart Ennis. Sorry but I just cannot stand them.
    I rather have any male commentator who is terrible over a female. You just have to keep that separate, let women do the commentating and such in the WNBA not the NBA. The same as WNBA players in the Celebrity Game, doesn't make sense.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I had to turn the volume off the game yesterday because he was putting me to sleep

3. durvasa

durvasa Member

Wow, you're not even pretending to hide your sexism. Alright.

4. yo

yo Member

Agree totally. I already made my rant about Brown, but Collins is just as bad. He spews his feel-good garbage throughout the broadcast, like praising the 12th man on the bench for his relentless work ethic and patience. He is irritatingly verbose and just does not shut up. He's another muter.... it just gets too much sometimes.

5. JustLynCHN

JustLynCHN Member

I wonder where he is nowadays, refer to your thread, I know he is with JVG, am i right?

best wishes to him.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

It'll take the culture of the people watching the NBA to change before they adjust the entertainment style of commentating. It does come off a little unprofessional to start talking about food & fashion & the movie they watched the other day I think. Thats more cuz basketball moves along well enough to where just calling the game should keep commentators on task. As opposed to baseball where hearing about the on-deck guy's average with runners in scoring position is nice, but THAT kinda talk can draaaag.

Hubie is great. He doesnt have much biases, glass half full kind of approach, gives credit where its due, constructively critiques a bad play. He doesnt need to shout like an insane maniac Kevin Harlan style when he sees a good play. He does ramble on about stats and such, but when you know as much as he does and been around the game that long theres gonna be a lot of info coming out of him

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but it just an opinion. It's nothing against women but some things men are better suited for and other things women are suited for. A few sideline repoters like Hanna Storm is fine, which is how it was in the 90s with almost no women, but now it seems like a trend and they want to make a statement that men and women are equal by giving them the same jobs. The fact women annoy me is just personal, but if they do a good job who am I to say they suck right ? I mean, Hanna did a very good job and so does Patti Smith and probably a lot more reporters like them but please let them stay away from commentating.

Thank you

8. professorjay

professorjay Member

The job is pretty simple: talk about sports. Why would gender affect that? Men cover the majority of women sporting events too (golf, tennis, basketball, etc). Does that bother you as much?

9. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

I agree with you that JVG is better since he combines both humor and knowledge and so it's not boring listening to him. Hubie throws out stats all
    the time because you have to remember that he's doing nationally broadcast
    games. The audience extends beyond the fanbase of the two teams playing
    so not everyone will be familiar with the statistics of the players on the court.

10. ClutchCityReturns

The stats say that 84% of Dirk's shot attempts are jumpers, and that he gets to the line on 10.9% of his shot attempts, which from what I can tell is fairly mediocre for a star player.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08DAL12.HTM

11. Patience

Patience Member

"You love Robert Horry right now."

(typical Hubie second-person, with no context whatsoever)