1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hubie Brown

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mozart123, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

The guy is a wealth of Basketball information

He seems to know every player, and their strengths and weaknesses

He is usually complimentary of players but when they make mistakes, he points out players that did wrong (Howard 3 on 1 Fastbreak Jumpshot)

I like listening to his commentary more than

Mamma there goes that man....
    Doug Collins
    Reggie Miller

and many more

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I like Hubie, I love Jeff.

3. durvasa

durvasa Member

Hubie's one of the best.

I'd listen to a telecast with him or JVG any time.

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Member

Hubie is my favorite analyst. It really isn't even close.

A curious mind. A competitive mind. He doesn't want to have to have his son (a fine scout) fill him in, so he puts the work in himself.

Of all the analysts/writers/broadcasters who don't use advanced metrics (or, through their work, don't appear to), he is far and away my favorite.

5. baller4life315

Hubie and JVG are by far my favorites. Hubie is great if you just want pure knowledge and insight. JVG is great if you want knowledge mixed in with a little humor.

I just can't stand Doug Collins, his yellow hair and the constant reminders of how he used to coach MJ. Yeah, Doug we heard you the first 300 times you mentioned that. Walton and Reggie Miller get on my nerves too.

6. yo

yo Member

WOW. I actually muted it tonight because the guy just does not SHUT UP. Yes, he knows a lot, yes, he is extremely insightful....BUT HE DOES NOT SHUT UP. EVER. It gets to a point where you think he's parading his knowledge and enjoys the sound of his own voice. It's was like a breaking point for me tonight.

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Good thread and agree a 100%. Hubie Brown is the best colour commentator in the history of the NBA, hands down, no contest. The guy gives credit where credit is due, calls out anything he doesn't like (like the elbow on Scola, the first blow by Nowitzki on Yao, the non-call on a charge against AB, the quick trigger by Wafer) is spot on with 99% of his comments and never, I mean NEVER, talks nonsense like JVG / Mark Jackson / Reggie Miller etc.

I do not even understand how people can like JVG other than his praise for the Rockets and how he calls it like it is (what most ppl do not have the guts to say), but even that is negated by the rest of the crew simple laugh at Jeff; Jeff sometimes agrees and laughs with them like he just made a joke which makes him a joke. I do not even understand why they would use two colour commentators when they're both horrible and Mike Breen is just sitting there waiting to be laughed at.

The NBA Finals used to be serious and the commentators used the certain moments of the game when it was close to their advantage (so stopped talking during clutch moments or talk less). These guys will never shut up and the the constant lame jokes are really annoying, how can that make the Finals exciting ? I think commentating is very important to the entertainment value of a game and when guys do not talk about the actual game but what food they ordered in town earlier (a bit like the talk by Worrell and Clyde about Bull and his food, very annoying) it's not going to be fun.
    The Finals are turned into a joke, by the constant childish bickering of Mark & Jeff; it's more of a show than a ball game.

Anyway, I hope ESPN / ABC realise how terrible they are and they put Hubie back in the Finals seat where he belongs just like in 05 and 06. Does any1 know why he was replaced in 07 ?

8. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

The best out of all the national media commentators without a doubt. You get a lot of these idiots making comments without knowing a thing or watching any games(such as Mashburn declaring us done because T-Mac was out when we're 14-6 without him). Hubie knew we could still be a thread and said why... most of these useless hacks they pay to add comments wouldn't have a clue if the game doesn't include someone named Lebron, Wade, Kobe or CP3.

9. Gakatron

Gakatron Member

fixed

10. durvasa

durvasa Member

He was replaced because Breen-JVG-Jackson are excellent and got good ratings (I imagine). You're right, they interject more humor into the proceedings, but afterall its a show and its ok to try to entertain. The important thing is they understand the game and they provide good insight into what's going on. I don't understand the hate Mark Jackson gets -- I think he's a natural, and while he has a few stock lines he'll recycle he clearly knows the game. As for Van Gundy, I think he's just a great analyst.

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

JVG is a better comentator then a coach.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hubie and Doug Collins both talk too much. It's like they feel obligated to comment after each and every basket. More often than the others, JVG comments when he actually has something to say.

I do like Hubie Brown because he adds a lot to the game. Same for JVG. Doug Collins annoys me to no end. Hopefully he'll get hired as a head coach (please, not the Bulls) and we won't have to listen to him anymore.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hubie forgot more basketball in his lifetime than most of us will ever learn, and he STILL knows more than everyone.

14. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

lol, he is a broadcaster. talking is the name of the game. it's like asking a yao ming to not play basketball b/c it gets annoying to other people.

15. GATER

GATER Member

Another vote for Hubie. My favorite BBall analyst and whoever is 2nd isn't even close. Anyone who doesn't want to hang onto his every word during a game will always be just a casual fan and never a student of the game.

Van Gundy's very good as well. But his continous and repeated references to defense are....well, frankly why he has that job and not one on an NBA bench.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

"You're Hubie Brown. You behind the mike. There's younger guys around you. You're kind of old, you're not flashy, but you're crafty. You've got lots of experience. So you just got to outwork these guys and use your superior knowledge to put yourself in a position to help your broadcast."

17. durvasa

durvasa Member

He was sure complimentary about Shane Battier yesterday. ;)

18. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I like Hubie and JVG. I can't stand Doug Collins, Doris Burke or Mark Jackson.

19. ebu

ebu Member

i love hearing about the new rules the nba should have from JVG lol

But yaa, Hubie is great

20. Mr.TripleDouble

I agree. Hubie is the undisputed best commentator on NBA broadcasts. He may ramble on in certain situations like a previous member has said, but it usually pertains to what is going on in the game, and not just some random tidbit.

The only thing I can say negative about him is to keep him away from Laker games because he praises Pau Gasol virtually every time LA goes down the court. It's obviously because he coached Pau and liked him a lot, but it does get a little overdone when he's mentioned Gasol's name twenty times in just the first quarter.