1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HPD attacks band Two Gallants at Walters during middle of show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr. Brightside, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/003687.html#more

My friend was at this show, and said it was utter chaos for a few minutes there. Stupid cops. Story is making national headlines amongst music circles. Watch the videos below.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I would say that was a pretty scary incident that occured, for the officer. All those people poking at him and such.

3. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The officer was an idiot for slamming the guy to the floor by himself. He should have called for backup and waited until they arrived before making an arrest.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Both sides were being idiotic. This was a noise complaint, not a drug bust. The officer felt that the people were not following orders and he also felt disrespected. I believe that if the officer acted in a calmer manner, the violence could have been avoided.

It's okay to go the gangbusters route too, but then the cop should have had backup instead of going solo.

Then there are the other morons. Yeah it was chaotic and the crowd is rightfully upset. But the comments in the article and also the way the people in the band and crowd reacted from the video is wrong. They're putting a bad image for people who like to go out and listen to music.

They were acting like punk kids. When an officer gives you a command to stop playing music (because it was too loud), then you do it, you don't ask why. Then the kids are like "don't get in my face". It's a stupid arrogance. "Get his badge number".

So the cop was being an ass. That's true. But when you're acting like an idiot in response to an ass cop telling you that you need to stop breaking the law, then you're still in the wrong for acting like an idiot.

The way these guys acted are no better than the way those crackhead losers you see on Cops act.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I disagree. Although its hard to tell what EXACTLY is going on from the video, I would suspect the cop was overreacting and escalated the situation if not initiated it. Just cause you're a cop doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you want. Power-trippin mofos.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

edit: don't want to start anything.

#6 pgabriel, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I agree with krnxsnoopy, cops do these things everyday and it pisses me off. I'm not saying all cops but just the crooked ones.. I don't even want to say what they did to my mom. and just the other day I was going to blockbuster and i didnt know a cop was behind me coming in.. and i didnt hold the door for him and he gave me a little attitude..

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didnt watch the video but it seems weird to go after the band like that. Should the officer not go after who is in charge of the event and have them take care of the situation? Seems like the more logical and appropriate route to take.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

that cop watches too much cobra and rambo for his own good.

10. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

the filth is at it again

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I also agree with krnxsnoopy. If I'm doing something that I think is perfectly legal and the cop tells me to stop, I feel I have the right to ask why. I'm no Pavlov dog that salivates on command.
    I was driving near Hermann park during Memorial Day and was waiting at an intersection as a cop was waving traffic through. I was on the cell phone and saw the car next to me go through so I thought it was our turn. Apparently it wasn't and the cop started screaming at me. (I had only inched forward about 6 inches.) And then he got mad and was screaming at me to pay attention and then he added for me to get off the phone. Of course I just ignored him.
    Would it have been okay for him to grab me by the neck and throw me to the ground? Hell no. I don't care if he's a cop. He has no right to tell me to do something that is perfectly legal without at least a reasonable explanation.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well, the singer was doing the right thing by telling the crowd to get back away from him and the cop. Certainly you don't slam someone to the ground for asking "why" -- i've done basically the same thing multiple times at parties over the years without incident. The cops have been annoyed, but they haven't ever reacted like that jackass ~ never a good idea to incite a riot with no backup.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

As long as no one is in immediate danger (and I did not hear the music so I can't say for sure...), people have a right to ask why and not have a police officer overreact. Unless the officer's ego is involved, he would just explain why.

There is no room for officers who think they're God because they wear a badge.

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Hahah good one.

I saw the Video, the cop seemed confused after he slammed the guy on the floor, but to his defense people seemed to be storming at him. I don't know what he was thinking.. he was acting a little to brave. People are stupid. Those tazer guns are loud. Ok now I'm just shouting out random things..

15. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Looks like when he stepped back and called for back-up, no one was touching him at all.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

moral of the story: Don't live next to night clubs.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Actually, I thought the video was pretty funny.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I read this article in the Chron yesterday.

Can't watch the video because it is blocked at work, but I will try to see it when I get home tonight.

IMHO, there is so much that is screwed up about the whole thing from all sides...

1. The Cop - if you are going to go Rambo, you'd better have backup
    2. The Band - if the Cop's story is right, the musician screwed up by mouthing off
    3. The Crowd - if the crowd went nuts, they screwed up by escalating things

and, last but not least....

4. The Club itself.

I've played Walters on Washington 6 times in the past 4 years, most recently in January 2006.

Every time I have played there, a cop has shown up during the course of the gig to check noise.

Walter's must get more noise complaints than any other music club in town. It's due to the club being completely surrounded by new construction condos and lofts. That stretch of Washington has seen alot of residential construction and neighborhood renewal in the last five years. IMHO, it's time for Pam (Walter's owner) to either pony up some cash to soundproof the club (if she is going to continue to book loud bands) or move the club elsewhere. She's lost Silky's Blues Bar and MaryJane's in the past few years, and she will lose this club too if the noise complaints get out of hand. People won't want to go if they think the set they paid a cover charge to see is going to get cut short. She should probably stick to lower volume music (Americana, acoustic, folk, etc.) for the time being until she gets cash to soundproof the place....and maybe expand parking in the process!

19. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

After watching the video, I'm with the cop. The dude got up and tried to front the cop like he was going to fight him. The cop should have slammed the dude with the glasses for trying to push the cop back too. He really did need back up. The situation could have got a lot worse. There always has to be the smart ass guy who talks back and ask 'Why?' when talking to the cop. When an officer is trying to get a situation under control, it really doesn't help to be a smart ass, you'll always be the first to kiss the concrete.

20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Yeah, trying to push the other band members back and telling them to calm down is obviously what somebody trying to fight the cop would do. :rolleyes:

There's better ways for cops to get situations under control other than attacking people, if the guy was being a smartass that's not really a justifiable reason for the cop to try and beat the **** out of him.