1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HP] Nowhere to Hide: Damian Lillard Defending the San Antonio Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedEyesKirby, May 8, 2014.

1. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/05/08/dame-defense/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Snippet:

Good article. Sorry but still salty as F&*k about the loss. But damn it, SPURS tactics was to play mismatches and holes in Blazers' defensive game. In their case it's obvious they were forcing Lillard to play to his weakness forcing him to run screens after screens chasing Parker around...

What the Rockets did instead is the complete opposite, we let their stars go wild and let their other starters pound on our defensive liability star. All the while we didn't expose their defensive liability match-ups except for game 5 when we made them run around screens.

Anyways, it's a good read for the off-season. Venting over and out.

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Screens? We don't need no stinking screens!! The ball got "sticky" and we didn't play "hard enough" -Milk Hair

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why oh why would you keep Kevin McHale...

DD

4. chandlerbang21

man it pisses me off watching the spurs/blazers series. If this team had a real offense and players didnt have brain farts on defense, it would be a rockets/spurs series. Houston would lose but that doesnt matter

5. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

'Milk Hair' and 'Ball got Sticky' are the best memes to come out of the season

6. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

If we had a real offense and a semblance of a defensive plan, we would have a really good shot at beating the Spurs.

If If if..

we would probably be a 1 or 2 seed.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I was on vacation and missed out on milk hair. Rep if you enlighten me!

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It honestly makes 0 sense. Which tell me Howard required that he be around when he signed or that luring a top tier FA is something Morey expects to do. I don't feel like you need McHale to do that though. Maybe it is Love...

9. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

1 person likes this.
  10. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

I hope Morey and Les read every article on Spurs vs Blazers vs Rockets.
    McHale's read and react, no offensive plays really hurt the Rox.
    Ball goes to Dwight in the post and every one else stands and waits. No screens to set up cuts, screens to make Matthews/Batum/Lillard play defense.

11. conquistador#11

" Houston gave up 5.4 points more per 100 possessions with Harden in the game than on the bench,"

oh wow. now that stat is new to me. I saw it with my Eye test but eye tests can be deceiving.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um actually the RnR is supposed to be against ISOs...that's why it's called read and react you READ where the defense is weak and you REACT to it resulting in an open look. This is in stark contrast to Hakeem-style ISOs where you throw the ball to the big man every single time and let him dominate the game.

Looking back on it I think the issue is that either our players are too young/dumb to run the offense or the coaches aren't masters at it. If you recall Rick the ruler was pretty much the pioneer of this offense (along with his own Tex Winter-style mentor), and he pretty much admitted his offense is hard to learn and takes around 2 years to grasp fully. And this is the dude who pretty much just ran this offense his entire career, what more guys like Sampson and Fitch who weren't part of his inner circle?

IMHO the current Rox cast is a bad fit for this offense because Harden is prone to chucking the ball and Lin is an instinctual b-ball player, it's hard to run the offense properly when Lin goes hard to the rim every single time he touches the ball and Harden keeps launching step back 3's. Also being young, the Rox as whole tend to break plays and just keep doing what they want. In contrast, Adelman's Kings were like clockwork machines, and everyone from Webber to Peja to Bibby knew their role and stuck to it.

Rather than that, if you watrched the playoff games the Rox were more deadly with set plays and especially that tight 2 man PnR with both Harden and Howard. I think the Rox coaching staff need to retool their offense and make it more Spurs-like, the Spurs also take very little mid-range J's but they run a lot of screens and PnRs for their players.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Because we love banging our head against the concrete wall. Trust me, it will crack one day.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

great plan, now let me go find tony parker on the rockets roster. oh wait we don't have a player like him.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

lmao pretty funny that now portland gets to experience something similar for rockets. go spurs.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Remember when Lin was heralded to be the next Parker or Steve Nash. LOL. What a delusional pipe dream.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

NBA decides that Portland is a better story than us and the Spurs is a better story than Portland. That's all.

1 person likes this.
  18. sportsfan

sportsfan Member

Even if parker is in Rockets, he will be trained to be corner camper.

McHail does not need PG. Tony will enjoy the camping life in Rockets.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

Also needed more "pop". Cowbell would help too.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We have Harden who is one of the best offensive players in the NBA though.