1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How would you react if we drafted Tyler Zeller and Perry Jones?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ObamaFan, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

I honestly think that would be the best route for us. In Zeller( you have another case of Parsons with college production over potential). And with Perry Jones you have a case of untapped potential who seems to be coachable

I mean i know we should look for a backup PG to Gogi, but i think McHale reitterated that he likes tall players with size. I remmeber that interview with David Alridge at last years draft when Mchale kept preaching we wanna a bunch of 6'10 guys.

If we should somehow take Perry Jones with the 14th pick( if he falls there). Then maybe we can draft Austin Rivers with the 16th pick and trade him to the Celtics for their late 1st rounders. Then maybe if we are lucky Tyler Zeller slides down there to #21( highly unlikely), and then we can take Marquis Teague with #22(who i hear the Rockets are also really high on)

Anyway you look at it, this outcome is highly unlikely, and who knows what Morey could be thinking or coming up with as draft day arrives

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would be okay with PJIII, but don't want Zeller. Dude already maxed out his potential and likely won't improve in the NBA. Solid backup C for his career, don't see more in him. Hope we trade up for a #10 pick to get Leonard.

1 person likes this.
  3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Two guys with size. Not bad.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

By destroying a perfectly innocent television.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Do not want Zeller. I'd rather take a chance with some sg left.

6. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

I would be completely on board with these picks. Just from a value standpoint its well worth it. Zeller should go somewhere between 12-16, while I expect Jones to be in the lottery and really in the top 10. So if we were able to swing Jones at 14 and Zeller at 16 I would be stoked. Now from a team standpoint, Camby and Dalembert are not in the long term future of this team. Also I would suggest that drafting these two bigs would be as close to the Rockets giving up on Patterson as possible. Because moving forward we would have Motiejunas, Zeller and Jones to split the big minutes. The good thing about these three is that we can play any two on the court together.

Now back to Patterson, if this happened I think he would become expendable. Kinda tough to know beforehand, but if I knew I was getting Zeller and Jones at 14 and 16 I would be looking to package Lowery, Patterson and the Mavs future first rounder to move high enough into the lottery for a chance at Beal or Kidd-Gilchrist.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets are in a dire need of a 5 to develop. If Zeller and Leonard are gone by the 14th the best case scenario might be to try to trade down for Boston's 2 first round picks. Use 1 on Mello and another on a backup PG (Teague?). At 16 you probably should take the best SG available. I don't believe that Martin will make it past the trade deadline. Unfortunately this means that you are drafting no "high potential" players except perhaps Melo.

With D-Mo coming I see absolutely no reason for the Rockets to draft a PF. No one out there (including Jones) is taller or has a higher upside.

8. smr6

smr6 Member

I'd be happy with it. We get a guy who we know what we are getting in Zeller and we desperately need the size at center knowing that Camby and Dalembert won't be around forever or even next season for all we know. We all saw how much it hurts having no size at the 5 spot after Yao started going down up until this year.

And Jones is one of the few PF's in this draft that I would be okay with getting. I do not want another PF that is "nba ready" but doesn't have much room to grow. Having those players while they can give decent production doesn't make us any better because it isn't much of an improvement if any over what we have there already. However if we do take a PF it needs to be one of these huge upside guys like Jones. We need to take chances in order to get better and playing it safe just makes us the same team with a different player.

9. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

I want Perry Jones. The guy is top 5 in the draft in raw talent and size for his position. Sure his motor is questionable but c'mon. He's a 6'11 SF with handles. These are exactly the types of picks a superstar-lacking team needs to make. High risk high reward.

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'd be cool with that, but my dream draft (without moving to top 5) is Austin Rivers and Perry Jones or Meyers Leonard.

11. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

My dream scenario is Barnes + Sullinger

More realistic dream scenario is Sullinger + Perry Jones

But this would not be a bad option

12. cdastros

cdastros Member

PJIII doesn't like contact. I would rather have Zeller. I think people are underestimating the athleticism of Zeller. He is a 7 footer that moves just as well as some PF. Zeller, DMO, and Scolla's speed will be scary on fastbreaks.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Very happy. Zeller is gonna be solid in the NBA, I think a solid starting center, maybe Gortat-lite. Jones has loads of potential. If that's the best we can do then yeah, I would be ok with it.

14. cheifbootknocka

Myers Leonard + Sully

15. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Rivers and PJ3

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

My dream scenario if we keep the picks is Leonard and Rivers. Trade Kevin Martin for #15 and bring in PJIII or Moe Harkless.

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I actually like Tyler Zeller as a prospect. I mean he did measure a legit 7'0, is a good run and jump athlete, can knock down the mid-range jumpshot and has a good developing post game. He's also a great cerebral player defensively, can take the charge, and as he develops his strength he can become a great team and one-on-one defensive post player on the block.

As for Perry Jones III I would love to draft him if he falls, and take a gamble by playing him at the 3. He has great handles, can knock down the mid-range jumpshot, has great lateral quickness, and is an athletic freak testing with a 12'2 max vertical reach. Even though there are question's about his motor, I think at 16 he's worth the risk.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

How many PF's do we need?

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Indifferent, like I would for most prospective draft choices that have been suggested for the Rockets.

I do think some are better than others and have greater potential, BUT ... it's a crap shoot at the end of the day. Outside of the LeBron James/Kevin Durant/Shaquille O'Neal types, there are no sure things.

Most of the top 20 or so picks, I'd be ok with any of them. I do not see one player who I can say will be a most definite bust, unless they are drafted too high.

20. CertifiedTroll

I would love to see PJ3 grow into his potential and dominate the game. But honestly I just don't feel it is in him to bust out. Maybe a sports psychiatrist could work wonders on him, but I would rather Jeff Taylor or Ross before him..