1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Yao fit in with our current group?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Mar 18, 2010.

1. BetterThanEver

Check out some of Yao's passes in this clip. I expect Martin and Brooks to be on the receiving end of many of these passes now.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HvZIRxajAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4HvZIRxajAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

I'm fairly confident that Yao will fit in better than the corpse of Chuck Hayes on both ends of the floor, to win the playoffs, which I assume we all want, we will have to play in the half court, plus we also need his size to protect the rim for our awesome but matador (copyright Stevie Franchise) like defending backcourt

3. anchel

anchel Member

The proposal for quick shots and fast offense is especially an answer for a particular need this year. Without stars it has been our best way to score points. Remember we have had often many difficulties with the half court offense. Problems to close the games, to create something regularly down the stretch.

I think we will see something very similar to what we saw last year since Brooks was the starting PG. We did a pretty good 2nd half of season last year. With a fast pace, with fastbreaks (remember: Brooks, Lowry, Wafer, Scola, Landry...) and also with a good static offense, stained by those 1on5s by Artest or those "I won't put the ball inside" by Artest-Wafer-Brooks.

I think Morey and RA have considered all that stuff and they have reacted replacing some of these players for the Budingers, Martin and Arizas, raising the basket IQ, the passing and also the athleticism. I think surely we'll see more fastbreaks, but in the half court offense, we'll see basically the same things, hopefully with a more regular, moderate and reliable offense.

I think it will be decisive the Brooks adaptation after a 20 ppp season, because logically is him who will have to adapt to the change, not Yao, a proved elite inside reference.

4. MadRox

MadRox Member

With Yao we won 52,55,53 games in previous 3 seasons, obviously RA is smart enough to go back to Yao offense which is proven to work. And now we actually have people that can make shots consistently when Yao kick the ball out. I just wish Yao can develop that 3pt shot, drawing opponent's big out and so AB+Martin can drive freely to the basket ...."try to front me out at the 3pt line!!" he'll be unstoppable lol

5. T_Man

T_Man Member

Before I even BEGIN to reply...

Please Please Please explain to me why the current system stinks????

6. T_Man

T_Man Member

So would those years be from 2006-2007 to 2008-2009?

If so then you really need to re-write your statement.... The only year Yao even played more than 60 games was in the 2008-2009 year.

7. Yetti

Yetti Member

Yao Career
    02-93 72gms
    03-04 82gms
    04-05 80gms
    05-06 57gms
    06-07 48gms
    07-08 55gms
    08-09 77gms

AVE 67gms/season :p

8. T_Man

T_Man Member

So back to my ques... What years are we talking about???

9. redao

redao Member

Yao played all 82 games in his rookie season.

He was hit by the max contract. Since then, he is just averaging 59 games a season.

10. T_Man

T_Man Member

Okkkkkkkkkkkk... Again...

What years are we talking about...

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yetti, the average of the first 3 years is 78.

The average for the years thereafter when injuries became material is just 59.

Yao was very durable during his first 3 years, not so much for the latter years, especially when the team was counting on him during the playoffs.

12. MadRox

MadRox Member

You're correct, Yao did not play all 82 games....
    Let's not look at it from a 82games perspective, lets only look at the games that Yao did play.

06-07 48games
    07-08 55games
    08-09 77games

Don't we have better winning percentage during those games with Yao than our current record of 35-31 PCT:0.530? All I am saying is that Yao offense is a proven system, why go away from it.....

13. T_Man

T_Man Member

Actually, I think we were better with Deke and the team played more fluently with Deke also...

14. BetterThanEver

Is your average right? The 1st season has 1993 as the 2nd part of the season. ;-P

Shouldn't it be 02-03 82gms

Is your average based on the 1st year being 72 games?

15. A13

A13 Member

If, Yao is healthy.
    Only if...

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No problem. As others have said, the fast break players go down court first, score if they can; if nothing's there, Yao will be getting down court at about that time and you can go into whatever mode you want. He won't be making cuts all over the place, but everyone else will be mobile and he will demand defenders. He will make the half court game easier for the outside shooters. Expect a three-point bonanza.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

No problem. Just take all the minutes that is being played by Hayes and Anderson and give them to yao.

Reduce the play load of Scola and give it to Yao.

Voila.

Anyhow, with Yao there in the middle, I sees a lot more steals attempt that will lead to even more fast breaks. Along with a whole lot more jump shots instead of points in paints, which will leads to more rebounds and hence an even faster transition game.

I just can't see how the pace of the game will dramatically reduce, unless they are playing half court sets which prioritize Yao getting position in the post at EVERY single possession.

18. leebigez

leebigez Member

Not to mention the minus 82 he will have this season. For some strange reason, the rockets have won as many games without yao as with him. If the had a legit 7ft guy playing center, they would have at least 4-5 more wins.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Of course Yao will be able to play with this team.

Guys act, like we are the Phoenix Suns or something. Yao did well enough last year, I don't think we've changed so much with the acquisition of Martin that Yao will have no place. Heck, Landry for most of this season were feed the ball, almost exactly like how Yao was, Scola is at times as well.

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

The Rockets haven't played a half court offense since JvG. Adelman's intention has always been to institute some kind of hybrid motion offense. Somehow this topic comes up every year, despite what Adelman said when he was first hired.