1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to watch rocket games using League Pass in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IndianPlaya, Mar 7, 2012.

1. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

I have purchased NBA League Pass Broadband and planned on using it to watch Rockets games since I do not have cable. However, since I live in Houston, the Rockets games are blacked out! :mad:

I heard there is a way to download some type of program so League Pass thinks you are logging on from a different city, and thereby enabling us to watch Rocket games in Houston using League Pass Broadband. Do any of you know how to do this? Your help is much appreciated... Thanks!

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm not positive but a VPN should probably work.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Like VPN into something outside of Houston?

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

And while you're at it, why the hell are the games not played in HD?

5. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

Not sure how either, but I'm interested to hear what y'all find. I've been all over forums where they warned about this, just when I was gonna buy LP.
    I tried LP while they had the free trial and yep, the games were blacked out.
    The blackout rules are ridiculous since they consider Fox Sport Southwest a local affiliate!!! They are only shown on cable, satelitte, etc., not our LOCAL digital OTA stations. I don't know if this will change once the new comcast sport network takes over, or if somehow more games will be shown on OTA.
    I have OTA and and Netflix and do not plan on paying for cable/sat or league pass until I know more.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just use something like ACE VPN.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

they are.

has anyone here actually ever had success using a VPN or are they just suggesting it?

I don't think there's a way to get around it.

8. Strawman

Strawman Member

Not sure, but if you have league pass you can watch the blackout games on your iphone even if your in the city.

9. Strawman

Strawman Member

You can also buy the cable which projects your iphone onto your tv

10. JustARide

JustARide Member

I've used Hotspot Shield in the past during League Pass free weekends and it worked just fine.

http://www.hotspotshield.com/

Just run the program and it'll give you a new IP. I just tried it out and checked my location via www.whatismyipaddress.com and it thought I was in California.

11. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

Thanks! I'll try that out next game. Really appreciate it!

12. okrockets

okrockets Member

I have league pass mobile on my iPhone and it blacks out local games by using the phone's location/gps feature. So it always knows what city you're in and will block the local games. If u disable location in settings, the app's video feature shuts off. Anyone know a way around this? I'd love to be able I watch Rockets on my phone when I need to.

13. okrockets

okrockets Member

Just downloaded that hotspot shield on my phone thru their app and it works! Thanks Justaride

14. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

That's strange, my League Pass mobile allows me to watch the blackout games anyways