1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to locate sprinkler valves?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Luckyazn, Feb 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I can not seem to locate the other sprinkler valves at my house.

I was able to only find 1 of the green cap in the back yard where the 2nd sprinkler valve was located, but there are suppose to be 5 total?

I dug up the dirt next to the garage behind where the sprinkler box is located and all 5 wires seem to be facing towards my back yard. That's where the 2nd sprinkler value was located.

After stabbing the ground with a long pole, and screw driver in the front and back yard. I can't find the other 4??

The issue I'm having is that one of the sprinkler, the 1st one, seems to be leaking when the sprinkler goes back down and the 2nd sprinkler being to spray.

Anybody every have this issue ... or advice how to find the other valves?

Is it possible to get a diagram of your house from the builders even after 9 yrs?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe your pole isn't long enough to stab the ground? :p

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If it's the first sprinkler head leaking, why not just replace that sprinkler head? It won't solve your other problem of finding the remaining valve boxes, but at least the problem'll be solved, won't it? Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Call a company that installs sprinkler systems, one with a good rep (do some research), and ask them to come out and service your sprinkler system (be sure to get a quote first. shouldn't be expensive). They'll find them. You know, tell them you want to make sure it's running efficiently.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some city water departments will do this for free (others... not so much).

6. BFF

BFF Member

It's quite simple.

Just go to an exact corner of the property and have a land surveyor look at it. I have several friends in the business, if you need the corveyed, as they like to call it.

Then, it's all about the downsell with sprinklers. Most aren't aware, but Houston is a down market for sprinklers vs LA or other venues. Regardless, any good salesman knows how to sell away.

The final thing I have to bring up is, obviously, Taylor Swift and why you dumped her. It is grocery store fodder, but dude. Not cool.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WA4iX5D9Z64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Are you having trouble finding the sprinkler heads or sprinkler valves? My system has only one box where all the valves are located.

Like Dr of Dunk said, you may just need to replace the sprinkler head that is leaking. If the other sprinklers on that line are working then it must be a broken sprinkler head. It sounds like your getting enough water pressure if your 2nd one is working.

If it was a problem with the valve, none of the sprinklers on that line would work.

Hope this helps.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

That song sounds like an over-produced version of this one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ka9mCmx9Jhs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. body slam

body slam Member

you could always dig and trace the pipe line from the sprinkler heads to the valves

10. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I believe the 1st sprinkler valve needs to be replace, because it doesn't go down and close completely when the 2nd sprinkler starts. Causing water to flood out of the 1st sprinkler head, while the other sprinklers rotate it turns.

I was told the 1st sprinkler valve needs to be replace to close completely?

I found one green cap and opened it, and it only has 1 valve inside which was the 2nd sprinkler. Watching some Youtube video it appears that some houses have all the valves inside one of those green cap/box in the yard.

Is there a way to get a diagram of your house?

11. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Anything beyond the main valve to the house they won't even look at. That's what I was told

12. updawg

updawg Member

Doubtful that anyone would have a diagram. You can get a company to come out and trace the wires. Not sure if you can rent the device to do it

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Can you clarify?

When you say the 2nd sprinkler starts, the 1st sprinkler still has water coming out. Are you referring to the 1st sprinkler "zone" vs. the 2nd sprinkler "zone"?

1 single valve will control multiple heads. If the 1st and 2nd sprinkler are on the same zone, then your problem is with the individual head, not the valve.

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Have you checked it that first sprinkler head? You may have quite a bit of dirt jammed down in there.

I was in a real similar position last year. My first problem was there was no indication of where the sprinkler valves were located. The previous home owner let the grass grow over the valve covers. Due to flooding in the yard I broke down and called a sprinkler repair shop. They had some told that allowed them to determine the valve location in the backyard. I wasn't home at the time, so going off my wife's description of how he found the valves.

Anyway, the immediate problem was fixed (busted solenoid), but I uncovered one thing after another with the way the sprinkler system had been laid. With the help of my dad I ended up replacing all the valves, as well as digging up and cleaning out the sprinkler heads or replacing some various sprinkler head parts.

I still have no idea where the sprinkler valves in the front yard are located. The labor to locate the valves in the back and replace the solenoid ran $200.00. I think the labor was $90.00/hr. The cost to service the sprinkler heads with the help of my dad took a Saturday and about $50.00.

I also had the lawn guy hit a sprinkler head in the front yard. Didn't damage the head, but the force caused a stress fracture in the pipe. That caused quite a mess of water rushing out when the head would pop up. I managed to fix that for about $30.00 with a YouTube video and trip to Ace Hardware (PVC pipe and glue).