1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to boil crawfish?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Dec 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And shrimps and crabs?

Can't really seem to find tips on line. Any videos anybody can recommend?

I know you season the water you boil em in, but when you take it out of the water do you season again?

Went to Boiling Crab a week ago and when they bring out the shrimp, crab, crawfish it is extremely seasoned and oiled. At what point do you add the oil (or butter)?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The trick is to leave them in the seasoned water to soak for at least 15 minutes after they are done. The longer, the more season the crawfish with be. Crabs are similar.

Shrimp is different since they overcook so easily. Shrimp cooks in about 3 minutes, so you need to season them before they even hit the water.

3. Asian Sensation

Step 1) Heat water in Pot

Step 2) Wait till water boils.. usually around 3 mins or so on high does the trick

Step 3) Insert crawfish And shrimps and crabs into boiling water.

Step 4) Depending on how much sea foods you put in and how quickly you do it... the boil may go away but fear not it will come back in a couple minutes.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

We always season after the boil, not during.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Seasoning the water is the only way to go. Leasoning after is just spice pored on top. The seasoning in the water permeates during the boil leaving no need for seasoning after.

I usually boil 150-200 lbs a season. It's really a bit early for crawfish talk, this is gumbo season.

6. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

yeah boiling crawfish is the only way to go, can't seem to eat it any other way. Any good gumbo recipes?

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Make sure you purge them first or all of your Yankee guests will be licking yellow poop off of their fingers while complimenting you on how good the 'spices' taste.

8. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

don't use water. use orange juice. /thread

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

boiling crab is damn good, do they have good crawfish aroudn this time? I always thought it had to be in season. I dont know how they season it though otherwise i'd be making it at home

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Its Gumbo season .

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I never heard of that. Does that really work? Wouldn't the crawfish be too sweet and citrusy?

12. Buck Turgidson

Purging will get rid of some of the waste in the intestine (the tube that runs down the back) and wash the mud off of the crawfish. It won't do anything to the yellow goop, which is crawfish "fat" - actually the liver & pancreas, it's delicious & highly desirable for cooking (in etoufee for example).

But it's gumbo season, like others said. Going to get a few ducks in early January for my Super Bowl gumbo, can't wait. I'll post my "recipe", such as it is, one of these days.

13. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

Orange Juice, crab/crawfish spice, chopped garlic, 1 whole onion chopped in half. Voilaa

14. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

I forgot, A stick of butter as well..

15. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

send me an email I will send you my recipe for crawfish

16. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Luckyyy is right, use OJ. It'll be awesome like boiling crab.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Boil it in oj? Seriously? So if I'm boiling like 30-40 lbs of crawfish I'll need what about 10-20 gallons of oj?

So lets say you boil it in seasoned liquid. When you pull it out, can you season again and add oil/butter?

Boiling crab definitely has some oil/butter in the bags when they bring out the shrimps/crab/crawfish. Its like a gooey mess of spices. DAMN GOOD!

18. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

+1 for the orange juice, crawfish boil, butter, and garlic

19. Buck Turgidson

I'm guessing this is an Asian thing? Never heard of it in cajun cooking. For my tastes, Luckyyy's recipe for boil sound immensely insufficiently spicy.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

rockets03, what if you use orange juice from concentrate instead of the jugs? It will be a lot easier to transport from the grocery store.

Luckyy, would concentrate work as a substitute?