1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How similar are the Rockets and the defending champs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RobKsports, Dec 16, 2016.

1. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

- Rockets offensive rating: 3rd (111.6)
    - Cavs offensive rating: 4th (110.8)

- Rockets defensive rating: 18th (104.8)
    - Cavs defensive rating: 14th (103.9)

- Rockets net rating: 5th (+6.8)
    - Cavs net rating: 4th (+6.9)

- Rockets true shooting %: 2nd (58.6)
    - Cavs true shooting %: 4th (57.8)

- Rockets effective FG%: 2nd (55.5)
    - Cavs effective FG%: 3rd (54.1)

- Rockets win-loss %: 4th (.731)
    - Cavs win-loss %: 3rd (.750)

- Rockets rebound rate: 3rd (52.2)
    - Cavs rebound rate: 13th (50.3)

- Rockets assist rate: 3rd (18.4)
    - Cavs assist rate: 12th (16.9)

- Rockets turnover ratio: 27th (14.3)
    - Cavs turnover ratio: 14th (12.8)

So besides the Rockets leading big in rebound rate and assist ratio, and the Cavs leading in TO ratio, they're pretty much neck-and-neck in every team statistic.

(stats via John Hollinger: http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats)

2. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It's too early in the season to be buying into any of this stuff, man. The Cavs have like already started resting guys and my guess is that they're not in playoff form right now, either. But, I have to give the Rockets a lot of credit too because they're exceeding dudes expectations right now but we don't really know what we have yet until the playoffs start. Cavs have already proven it, Rockets are still working on an unfinished canvas.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Offensive rating is similar to the GSW.

4. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

I'm looking as hard as i can, but I don't see the word Lebron anyway. I think that stat is probably most important of all.

Von Rafer likes this.
  5. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

Oh, I agree. Just thought it was worth sharing. Don't think I've seen two teams that similar in a while.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  6. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I can try something...
    - James Harden MVP probability: 1st (45.2%)
    - Lebron James MVP probability: 3rd (10.9%)

7. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

MVP = David Robinson Award
    Finals MVP = Hakeem Olajuwon Award

:D The one that gets awarded later means more.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  8. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

Well you asked how the Rockets were similar if the Cavs have Lebron. My response is they have an MVP-caliber player of their own this year.

9. Nivos

Nivos Member

Cavs are cruising there, not even trying. We're on a roll, giving everything we have.
    But if we keep giving everything we have we might get to that Spurs level.

10. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

And when you look at the rosters, Lebron and Harden isn't the only similarity. There's an obvious one between the team's PF's and centers, Eric Gordon is a more consistent JR Smith, and Kyrie is definitely superior to Beverley but Bev does serve as a nice foil.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

If it'd make more sense, you can compare the current Rockets to the Cavs stats in the playoffs last year, when they do in fact turn it on:

- Rockets offensive rating: 111.6
    - Cavs offensive rating: 112.5

- Rockets defensive rating: 104.8
    - Cavs defensive rating: 103.5

- Rockets true shooting %: 58.6
    - Cavs true shooting %: 57.3

- Rockets effective FG%: 55.5
    - Cavs effective FG%: 54.4

- Rockets rebound rate: 52.2
    - Cavs rebound rate: 53.3

- Rockets assist rate: 18.4
    - Cavs assist rate: 17.0

- Rockets turnover ratio: 14.3
    - Cavs turnover ratio: 12.0

*Still extremely close*

Obviously take it with a grain of salt because we're only 26 games in, but still very impressive. And I don't think they've peaked either, all of their stats have been trending in the right direction (off rating going up, def rating going down).

DonKnock likes this.
  12. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Haha I'm not trying to put you down. I actually appreciate you putting up the stat comparisons. Also with the projections from the stats..it speaks very positively about the rockets direction. The tongue in cheek manner about mvp is about more that Lebron when he steps up, is so dominating at times that stats going into a Finals series can nearly become irrelevant even if you have a reigning MVP on your team.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

We resting Harden almost every game...

14. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

I agree, and you can't really calculate the difference between Lebron when he's cruising vs. Lebron when he's gunning. But just from the available information, I think the Rockets this year are one of the best teams in the league and will not be a team anybody would want to go against in the playoffs if they keep it up. I honestly think teams would rather play the Clippers or even the Spurs as it stands right now.

15. Tha_Dude

True, but not for entire games.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

No we clearly don't, as soon as we get lead we often relax or stop playin seriously, we even come out of gate lackadaisical

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Only like every other possession on D?

18. Tha_Dude

Harden isn't going to make first team all defense, nor will he ever be in the running for DPOY. We all know this about him, its time we put it behind us.

However, Mike D'Antoni also coached another PG who played even worse defense but was disguised by guys like Raja Bell and Shawn Marion while also picking up two MVP awards in the process, his name was Steve Nash.

Harden is still the anchor of the team and there's little chance we can get away with him at current usage if we're going to be facing teams that can literally sit their three best players out for a game and get away with it.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Come playoff time, It's given that Lebron and Kyrie can turn superstar mode into maximum (Game 5 of the last NBA Finals). I'd say if we are to win the championship, there must be games where either Gordon or Anderson (especially Gordon) has to play at super saiyan levels.

20. Ndz

Ndz Member

Post season is where the defensive intensity goes up several notches and superstars really prove their worth. Big men also play a heavier role and this may be a weak point for us. Careless, nonchalant play gets punished heavily and turnovers may be our other downfall. It'll definitely be tougher on the team with less stars and one which relies so heavily on one player.