1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

How often do you visit your parents or even call them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by homeboy1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. homeboy1

homeboy1 Member

You are starting to worry me. You do realize that your parents love you and want only the best for you. How hard is it to call them after work just to check up on them? Why do you keep procrastinating in calling them and telling them that you are A-OK? Come on pal, you need to stop the drinking and settle down and squirt your juices into a woman to produce three lovely children that they can spoil to their heart's content. What is wrong with you? They just sit at home collecting cobwebs on their bodies in their rocking chairs staring at the phone waiting for their son to call...throw them a bone and just call already! You insensitive b*stard. And why just call? Go visit them and ask them how they are doing and take their subtle questioning about your sexual orientation --because you never have a steady girlfriend-- in stride. You suck as a son!

1 person likes this.
  2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I talk or see my Mom everyday. My Mom is the reason I wasn't a statistic and she did all as a single mother.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Dammit. This thread worked. Calling mom now.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Do it. Can't call my mom anymore but I did while she was alive.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I talk to each about once a week. I only get to visit about once a year. They live halfway across the country. I wish I could visit more.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Both of my parents are dead, so if you have one to call by all means do it as often as possible. It's true you never appreciate something, until you don't have it anymore.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I visit them every time I get out of the basement.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Meh. I'm sure they are doing great in the home I put them in. Besides their old house is about to close and I'm going to use the proceeds for drugs and hookers. I'll stop by and visit when I got the time.

9. Prince

Prince Member

Almost weekly.

via phone or yahoo IM.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I visit my parents often on Saturdays and we go to lunch. I have to drive an hour to get to their house as they live in another city. They rarely visit me as they have a dog and don't like leaving her alone (they insist on dropping her at doggie day care but don't even want to do that anymore). So, they either bring the dog (which is very limiting as we cannot go out and must take-in food) or don't come at all...putting the burden on me to always visit them. I do the best I can.

As far as talking to them on the phone, they rarely call me and usually only when they are trying to firm up plans or get me to come over after not seeing me for a while. I don't call them that often, either, unless I need parental advice on a problem (such as a car issue I talk to my Dad about). We just don't have a lot to talk about on the phone...beyond the typical "how's it going?" bs...unless something is actually going on (something usually being some kind of crisis).

Whatever we have to say to each other is usually talked out in the first hour. It's not like we are trying to solve complex math equations or something. But, they are my parents and I'm there for them always. It's not easy when parents get to that age (70s), grown kids have jobs and work full-time, and all the while your trying to live your own life while accomodating your parents' wants and needs at the same time. And, it's only going to become more involved as they won't be able to take care of themselves at some point. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to hold up in the future...let alone them.

#10 Surfguy, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  11. VanityHalfBlack

They're locked in the basement, I accidentally threw away the key, ****!!!!

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I talk to my parents a few time a week and will take them out for a movie and lunch on Saturday most weekends.

About my mid 20's I really started to appreciate them more and really make an effort to spend time with them when I can.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

They live in Katy, I live downtown. I go once a week and have dinner with them and call my mom every other day or so. Can't appreciate them enough. Having mom's food once a week is a luxury I look forward to every week.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

They live in Pasadena, I live on the west side inner loop. I talk by phone at least 4-5 times a week and we go see them and hang out by the pool usually twice a month. I also kept their dogs for 11 days while they started vacation.

We have a super freaking close familia, so I'm not even embarrassed by this. They're in their 60's now, I worry that there's not much time left to give 'em thanks for doing a great job parenting two psycho high school boys.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Talk once a week, visit them twice a year on average. Have been away from TX for 19 years now. :(

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

When I lived in Boston, I'd talk on the phone with them at least 5 days a week. Now that Im in Houston, I talk to them almost daily and see them probably 4 days a week. I usually swing by after work, on my way home.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not enough. I'm not a big phone person. I used to see my mother a lot when she lived near me, but since she moved to OKC, I talk to her once a week if that via email or phone.

My dad still lives near me. I conversate with him when there is a reason to. Neither of us are social people.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I talk to my dad about once a week, I can no longer talk to my mom as she died from Luekemia a few years ago, and I wish I talked to her more often.

DD

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Call my mom all the time.

I'm youngest of 8 kids, with 20 nieces and nephews, plus a goddaughter...hard to track them all, but they say I'm the best at it. I suppose that means I'm their only uncle without kids, so I call them.

It's all cool.

but my dad is an ******* whose stories would make the hangout cringe. you can guess. yep.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I talk to my parents on the phone once a day and visit them in Houston once every month to two months.