1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kuku

kuku Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="zh-tw"><p>Rockets have as many double-digit comebacks (6; 2 this weekend) as all of last season. Games like Saturday's are why. <a href="http://t.co/M6Niyo3t" title="http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/01/rockets-escape-cleveland-with-a-win/">blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket…</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/287945310095953921" data-datetime="2013-01-06T15:34:46+00:00">1月 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. saleem

saleem Member

Possible 8th seed. Still got a long way to go.

3. Danbury

Danbury Member

Sounds like a fun team, too bad most of the city can't even watch them. I just can't force myself to crawl back to Comcast.

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

So you have ruled out Celtics and Lakers?

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I agree. By All-Star weekend, the whole world will see this.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I agree he can have the ball in his hands but don't just go 1-on-1 and wave off two screens in a row and take a difficult shot. Think about it, if he misses those, we would all be pissed he didn't try to make the right play, like attacking the basket for example. Those fade away shots at the end of the shot clock is not the best you can do in that situation right?

7. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Well said.

8. bongman

bongman Member

The best thing about what we are doing is that we will be very attractive in the free agency market.

9. meh

meh Member

What's ridiculous is that we're accomplishing this as the youngest team in the NBA. We play fairly disciplined ball, much more so than I expected. Most of our TOs aren't even boneheaded plays so much as trying to push the tempo, or trying to be too aggressive. And that we underachieved early in the season due to chemistry issues.

I think health/stamina issues notwithstanding, we're 45-50 win team. Probably 5th or 6th in the west, behind Clippers, Thunder, Spurs, Nuggets, and perhaps warriors.

But due to lack of depth on the perimeter, I think any injury to a perimeter player can send us into a tailspin.

10. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

To me the best part about this team is that i could see most of the players staying here for a couple of years...The last 5 years or so i expected the players to stay for maybe 1-2 years and then get traded or leave as a free agent. Its good to hopefully see some consistence; to not only build a culture but also we get to see the players go through all the trials and tribulations of the NBA through their career. Fans will get more invested in the team knowing the players aren't here just for a year or so...

That is what i liked about the Texans--> they kept their nucleus intact for years and years and hopefully the Rockets do the same. I think Lin, Harden, Parsons, Asik are all here for the long hall.

11. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

[​IMG]

According to this we have a very good chance of overtaking the Warriors for the 5th seed. Portland shouldn't pose much of a threat since they have the hardest schedule.

12. don grahamleone

To add to this, the Warriors upcoming schedule:

1/9 Memphis
    1/11 Portland
    1/13 Denver
    1/16 Miami
    1/18 San Antonio

We are 2.5 games back and 3 games on the loss side. They could easily go 0-5 or 1-4 in that stretch. I'm watching a replay of them against the Clippers. I can understand why they're good.

Mark Jackson is a good coach, Biedrens, Landry, Curry, David Lee, Barnes... these guys are young, athletic, long and deep. Jarrett Jack looks outstanding this year. He's so much quicker than he was a few years ago.

13. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Can be good and will be good are two totally different things. We all know this team has a lot of potential, it's just a matter of how well we develop and how far we can ride this thing.

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

The Rockets are super fast. Is that good?
    By MICHAEL PINA | JANUARY 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

The Houston Rockets play basketball like the Starship Enterprise flees danger. It’s beyond entertaining to watch—with a style that offers very few opportunities for blinking, let alone bathroom breaks—but looking at it from the big picture, is their blistering pace a good thing?
    ... ...

Read on
    http://www.*****.net/fast-good/10804/

BTW, it was fun to listen to Austin Carr's commentaries on the game vs. the Cavaliers. Here are some of the gems.

They know how to play passed being tired. They don't worry about being tired. They just keep going.... Get the steal. They just take off immediately. They don't wast any of your time. They get the ball up the floor by the pass....

See? With this type of offense, they're always running downhill. They're never back up. Everything is going downhill to the basket. And they are the finishers. They just play their mindset, that's how they know they win, that's how they play.

15. robotom

robotom Member

I am secretly hoping for Dirk Nowitzki, given the recent news out of Dallas... Instant contender status with likely a 2 year window at the sacrifice of years 3-4.

16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Member

Right now this is a young, fast, competitive team that is playing the type of game that fits the talent that they have. We don't have a post-up threat so we have to play uptempo to use our speed. We are developing good chemistry amongst our players. We have a go-to-guy in Harden that can close out games.

This team will probably look a little different in about a year or two. Hopefully we can get another SF and/or PF(post scoring) to fill out the roster. We are headed in a good directon.

I am not expecting this team to go any higher than the #6 seed in the west as currently constructed. For this young of a team, that is over-achieving. I am just enjoying the ride right now.

17. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Good post.

18. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

If Lin becomes a 3pt shooter.

If Harden gets aggresive on defense.

If Asik starts catching balls.

4th Seed.

19. don grahamleone

I can imagine a Batum or Deng on this team. Long, fast, drivers, shooters.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I have to eat some crow on this team. I thought and said more than once (though mostly before the Harden trade) that we would be terrible and reproached people who thought we could compete for the playoffs. Playoffs are by no means a lock, but that we're still in the conversation at all means I was completely wrong.