1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Hilton Armstrong and Jared Jeffries?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tomjc, Feb 19, 2010.

1. tomjc

tomjc Member

As opposed to many on the board, I really don't give that much weight to Kevin Martin, a Kmart-T-mac straight up trade to me is linear. I think that Rockets fans shouldn't read too much into this trade and Kmart should not be given pt until he shows he is better conditioned.

However, we gave up Carl Landry for basically Armstrong and Jeffries in the immediate future. These two pieces will show in the future how well this trade went down, will Jefferies become another Brian Cook?

But more importantly, how good is Hilton Armstrong?

1 person likes this.
  2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Jared Jeffries is SOLID defensively. That's all i know....hey he didn't get good money for nothing!! Someone must be a fool!

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

How good are*

4. RV6

RV6 Member

there's already a thread on armstrong, let me find it..

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Jeffries is pretty decent; he can guard 2-5. He is just an overpaid Chuck Hayes lite.

Hilton Armstrong is pretty much garbage, but he is 6'11".

6. Obito

Obito Member

Great potential and only 25 years old. Adds great depths to the 4 and 5 since we lost Landry and Dorsey. Hilton has always been a exceptional re-bounder and a very good shot blocker. I'm pretty sure that he won the 2005-06 Big East Defensive Player of the Year award, he collected like 100 + blocks that season.

I've also heard he's a incredibly nice person. I say we give him a chance.

I don't about Jeffries though, he didn't look to good with the Knicks but hey, who does these days right?

7. RV6

RV6 Member

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i was going to start a thread asking about who people think will get minutes behind scola and hayes...

it seems if scola is playing about 30 minutes per, and chuck is playing 22... we have a couple of options behind them jeffries and armstrong being the most likely choices. but any 2 of jeffries, armstrong, hill, and anderson could be the backup 4 and 5.

who do you think it will be?

9. Seth

Seth Member

Armstron sucks, but could be serviceable if you make things easier for him at the C because of his size.
    Jeffries is a quite decent defender, and in offense he is a lil better than Hayes. Still scratching my head on how he got 6 million dollars per year.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Hilton Armstrong scouting report:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Hilton-Armstrong-380/

11. RV6

RV6 Member

some in the media though battier and/or ariza would get some time at the 4, battier mentioned it as well today, so i guess some of the minutes at the 4 will go to battier. I dont think Hill will play a lot other than in garbage time. I think they got bigger plans for him, whether it's in a trade this season or future development i dont know, but i dont expect them to throw him out there this season. All that would do is risk injury and probably hurt him mentally. It's easier to come in as a rookie like bud and all you have to do is shoot the open jumper when is there and finish breaks, but hill's job would be more complicated, especially with Yao out.

12. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Neither will be a factor for us. Both will be on the bench permanently in about a week.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Last season, the Rocks played New Orleans 4 times, with Armstrong only playing in the first and last games, for a total of 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes he missed his only shots, didn't go to the line, grabbed 2 boards, 2 steals, 2 assists, had 2 blocks and 2 fouls. That's what I remember seeing of him. New Orleans lost both games. One of the blocks was nice. Honestly, not much to go on.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I expect Jeffries and Andersen to be the backups right off the bat.

Hopefully Hilton Armstrong can work himself into the rotation pretty soon. In fact, after a week or two, I would probably just start him. There's no use starting a 6'6 player at center when you've got a good shot-blocker and rebounder sitting on the bench.

Jordan Hill will get a chance to play, I think that is pretty much a given. We traded Carl Landry and got Hill in return. Let's see what he can do.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Jared Jeffries scouting report.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jared-Jeffries-2980/

Jeffries is like a down-graded version of Hayes on offense, but a solid defender. And Armstrong is very inconsistent, and he is playing for his 3rd team this season.

16. caffreys_irish_ale

This is where we see if our coaching staff is so good they can make something out of either of these players.

17. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

mostly any1 can thrive in a RA offense given that Rick caters O to a players strengths I imagine he'll find a way to put these guys in a position to be successful..
    altho Jeffries was overpaid Isiah Thomas knew Jared had at least SOME good attributes that would make him overpay for him.. but EVERYBODY goes to NY and their careers die in that atmosphere cuz Jared was actually a decent player in WSH b4 he went to NY

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hufYu-nq8M&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hufYu-nq8M&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
    Man this guy is raw! :grin: :grin: ;)

19. OpportunityCost

A down-graded version of Hayes on offense? I didn't think such a thing was possible.

20. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEtKjACpQEg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEtKjACpQEg&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
    This dude can flat out ball! Look how he denied Dwight Howard and Carl Landry! He has a nice midrange game and back to the basket skill! Also, he has his OWN song, his OWN song after him!