1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about non-black people using or being called the n-word?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Aug 25, 2013.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's pretty common nowadays for non-black people to use the n-word. This happens across all races, white, asians, hispanics, indian etc. I've seen all of them use the n-word among their own circles in the same way black people do it. At first I heard it and I'm like oh wow, these people are racist. But really, how is it racist when they are calling each other the n-words? It's not like they're calling black people the n-word, they're calling their own people that word. They aren't using it as an insult, in fact they're using it as a form of affection towards their friends, much like how the word is used among the black community.

Further, black people have started to use the word outside of their own race, they are now calling non-blacks the n-word too in the same way they use it for their own race. I've been called the n-word casually by some of my black friends, and when that happens, I take it as a compliment. As I am close enough with them that to me I am no different from their african american friend, that they treat me and talk to me in the same way they do to their own race.

I think this is a sign that the youth of this world are moving towards a color blind society. I think we are slowly taking away the racism from the n-word, and instead turning it into something beautiful, a signal of a color blind society where everyone can be called the n-word as a beacon of friendship and equality.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The n word has no place in society. Neither does the word negro or Afro American. People should be fined for saying such things. Although I'm cool with black people saying it and to each other since they have earned the right due to 500 years of continual slavery in the USA.

1 person likes this.
  3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

***** please

4. paunguye

paunguye Member

Instead of using the N word i substitute with Ninja!

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I hate when people do that. Idk why, just really irks me.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yep... this thread belonged in the hangout.

7. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

It's both positive and negative. I see it as people's way of saying bro in a "cool" or "gangster" way. If you look at most of the people that say this that's what they try to perceive themselves to be.

If it's a sign of friendship or equality, then why do they still use the word to their enemies? Like say, "this n-word's r****ded/stupid" "you wanna go n-word" before a fight etc.

I don't use the word as its not typically in my vocabulary, its just not very comfortable for me to say it, even in a sarcastic way. I have no problem with people using the word on me, just don't understand the need to use it.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I saw this episode of South Park.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Free speech is a constitutional right in our country. People can say whatever they want as long as they are prepared for the consequences of exercising that right with specific words.

Personally, I despise the "N" word. I understand how context is everything but my wish is the term would die.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

"earned the right???"...lol at the hypocrisy...how about just not using the word...

11. mikennite

mikennite Member

I don't understand what you're saying here. You're against people saying the n word, but it's fine when black people say it? Through 500 years of continual slavery, why would black people want to be reminded by being given the right the say the n word? How is that helping in their situation?

Now I'm not saying black people(or any other race) are wrong for using the n word(hell it's their conscious and mind, they can do whatever they want) if anyone's implying that.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I feel great about it. :rolleyes:

13. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I think it's an awesome word when used in a friendly context.

But I also grew up around black people and am used to it.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah. The word itself just doesn't carry that connotation of slavery, death, and tragedy it does anymore. Its used as a friendly term. In either case you can't ban a word. Its a direct assault against our freedom of speech.

Just like you can't imprison someone or shoot someone for being racist.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9ewR9bKjlEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Personally, I'm only bothered by it when its used to denigrate someone because of their race. Using it in a different context, while its not something I do, doesn't bother me. One could argue that letting the word be used freely in a different context might make ultimately make it more acceptable to use the word in a racist manner, however, so I could understand why some would be against its use altogether.

17. Dei

Dei Member

It's stupid. Only black people should be called ******s.

18. amaru

amaru Member

I don't like it....but you can't control what people say. Most of the time, if a "non-black" person is using that word in front of me they are trying to get a negative reaction out of me....so I just ignore.

I will say that I have a hard time respecting any black person who refers to themselves, their friends and their family as "******s". I understand that on some level it is due to their upbringing and a lack of education on their history......but it is pretty damn pathetic when somebody goes through such mental gymnastics to "redefine" a slur.

There is nothing beautiful about the n-word.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If whites are using it with each other I really can't get offended. All the movies and music that re-popularized the word in the late '80s and early '90s were produced, written and performed by black entertainers and directors; and the "street cred" that compelled non-black critics and media companies to promote and mass distribute this stuff came from young, and middle-class and educated blacks culturally validating the product. There's really no way this didn't come directly from us.

20. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I remember when Saul Williams was in Tel Aviv a few years ago, he told the audience he was mortified when he was in the West Bank, and kids ran up to him shouting "******! ******!" thinking it would endear him to him. I've heard more (non-black) people say it general in Europe and the ME than I ever did in the US.

I think it's ignorant, no matter who says it or in whatever context with whatever intention.