1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How big a contact would it take to get Sergio Llull on the Rockets today?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Nov 21, 2013.

1. basketballholic

I know we don't have cap space.....at least not right now. But if we had cap space or could open up the space to sign him, what is the least amount he would take to walk away from Europe today?

2. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

you would need Llull to decline the 6 year extension Real Madrid offered him.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We don't need him

4. basketballholic

He has a buyout.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

Who knows. I'm guessing around MLE money for him to even considering coming over.

Madrid is currently destroying all of Europe. They are the best team by far. Their games are usually over by half time, which is why their bench players end up playing more than their starters. They've been winning games most of their games by 30 points or more, even against good European teams. Couple of wins in the 50-60 points area, I think. Totally nuts.

6. basketballholic

So you think he'd walk away for....say....$25 million over 4 years?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I'm actually a big Llull fan, but I dont really see him making a huge upgrade from the Lin/Bev combo. He's a much improved 3 point shooter from when he first starting playing professionally, and can play some pesky defense, but IMO he's still not really someone you want running the point for you long term. You'd probably want him in more of the 6th man role coming off the bench which is what Lin is really excelling at now.

As for contract, here is BimaThugs' previous answer to this question before the Dwight signing from this thread

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=240422

-

8. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

He's the leader of the team for Real Madrid and they're doing a great job over there. So I don't think he'll come over

9. basketballholic

Yeah, I'm talking about today. If we were able to and we set $25 million over 4 years in front of him, would he walk away from Madrid today?

Personally I don't think $10 million over 3 years will get the job done now or next summer. On the other hand if we were able to give him a 4 yr. $40 million deal if he signed today I think he would obviously walk away from Madrid for that. So whats the number that would cause him to say bye bye to Madrid immediately?

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Sergio Llull would be a cheaper replacement for Jeremy Lin at this point. If Lin gets paired with Asik in a trade or dealt this summer, I could see the Rockets making that offer that Bima outlined.

11. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

I couldn't tell ya. I don't think anybody knows how serious Llull is about joining the NBA, even the folks covering the ACB/Euroleague. I follow the Euroleague scene, but I've only seen one of their games so far. You usually don't hear much chatter about guys like Llull considering the NBA. He's obviously in a very good situation.

I wanna say Bo McCalebb was offered (near) MLE money to join the NBA and declined to play in Turkey. And he's from the US, obviously. I don't think it's a safe bet Llull would take the MLE, if offered to him, but I'm totally speculating.
    I don't think anybody knows for sure. I know Jonathan Givony was tweeting a while ago about Llull not being all that interested in coming over anytime soon, which very well could be true, though it's usually a fluid situation with these sort of things.

#11 HMMMHMM, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Would I want to give him 4 years 30 million.... hell no... not even if they had to cap space to do so. There is no guarantee he's even going to transition well to the NBA and make a huge difference on this team. 3 years 10 million is pushing it. For the amount of money he's worth in the NBA vs. what he's making in Europe on the team he is on, and the role he has, its just not really worth it to splurge to get a player you have no idea is even going to be impactful.

However, a team like say the Knicks this Summer maybe that's a good situation for Llull, and he works out as a nice sweetener in a Shumpert trade, or something kind of deal like that. I dont think Llull agrees to come to the Rockets and I dont think they agree to pay him what he wants (on top of the hefty buyout), if Lin is still on this roster, and they want Canaan/Bev as part of their future. You can do much better with your mid level this Summer elsewhere.

Unless Lin is traded, I think Llull really should only be viewed as a nice trade sweetener to a team that wants to make him their PG this Summer or a big part of their PG rotation.

However dont be surprised if Morey still has conversations with his folks this Summer either way though, and dont be surprised if his name is brought up in the case of a Lin trade.

13. basketballholic

Yeah, the money has to be right and the role on the team has to be right. I think winning and being a primary starter on a championship caliber team are important factors that go along with money for him.

Those things may have been a factor with McCalebb as well. And the net money difference between what they can make in Europe combined with all the free stuff combined with wining and superstardom over there all weigh against the money, taxes, free stuff and possible lesser role over here.

Thats why I'm asking. If Morey had cap space today and he could offer Llull $25 million plus the starting guard spot alongside Harden, Dwight, and Parsons on an NBA championship contending team would that be enough for Llull to buy out his Madrid contact and move to Houston......today? Not next summer. But today.

14. Remii

Remii Member

There's no guarantee he even wants to come play in the NBA. Has he recently said so...??? Many Europeans don't want to play in the NBA because it's so physical. But it took Morey along time just to get Bev out of Europe. I don't see Alexander flipping the bill to get him.

15. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

€5M buyout ($6,724,500)

16. maczmina

maczmina Member

2.5M buyout, will not gonna happen . The teams only pay about 0.800M to the buyout, the rest is the player contract, Llull has a great contract in Spain, losing money it is not an option.

17. basketballholic

He obviously hasn't wanted to come to the nba up to this point. Do you think he'd come over today for $40 million? If you answered yes (which you should have) do you think he'd come over today for $30 million? If you answered yes to $30 million, do you think he'd come over for $25 million?

What is the figure it would take to get him to say yes and come to the Rockets today?

18. basketballholic

So if he were offered $40 million guaranteed he'd say no?

19. maczmina

maczmina Member

If we can pay this money, will offer to the different player, maybe in 2015

20. basketballholic

Useless post. Has nothing to do with the thread.