1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

How about we re-unite a couple of Zona players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Dec 9, 2009.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I was looking thru that article Captain Rox posted about Tracy and Rick, I caught at the bottom that Bayless is/could be asking for a trade.

Is there anyway that we can package Shane for say Bayless and Fernandez, yes he's injured for a few weeks but I know how everyone here has still been itching for his services. Possibly throw in a pick, I mean they would seem to covet a solid leader/defender like Shane to make a serious playoff push.

It seems like the chemistry in Portland has been taking a turn for the worse recently and I doubt the addition of Turkoglu instead of Miller wouldn't have had the same affect on Roy as Miller. He, Miller, and Roy need the ball in their hands to create offense so that would have caused the same problem, IMO.

Is there anyway we can cash in on Pritchard's search/blunder for all youth no vet team? I know Brandon Roy is almost nowhere near a possiblity no matter how unhappy he gets, they're not trading him, but can we possibly get some young talent to stock up on ourselves to contribute to our core?

I know he's a PG but I see him as being able to move to the SG spot and give us scoring/playmaking there. He's young, tall/strong, and athletic plus has a nack for scoring.

Thoughts...

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would LOVE a Battier trade for Fernandez and Bayless.

Greg Oden going down pretty much kills that. They aren't a contender without a low post player and therefore will just pack it up for next season.

It could still happen but we'll have to see what they trade Andre Miller for(they WILL trade him).

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not a bad trade suggestion.

4. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

We don't need to get any smaller.

edit: Fernandez is 2" shorter and ~40 pounds lighter than Battier. I think we need Battier for his defense, and another PG doesn't really do anything for us.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He's not as small as you think, just about Francis' height when he was playing for us and way taller than Lowry/Brooks.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jerryd-Bayless-1067/

STRENGTHS:
    - Ability to get to free throw line
    - All-around offensive polish
    - Go-to scoring mentality
    - Ability to create own shot
    - Ball-handling skills
    - Commitment to playing defense
    - Lateral quickness
    - Confidence
    - Potential
    - Strong Intangibles
    - Unselfishness
    - Work ethic
    - Excellent first step
    - Explosiveness
    - Fluidity
    - Incredibly quick
    - Ability to come off screens
    - NBA 3-point range
    - Perimeter shooting ability
    - Pull-up jumper
    WEAKNESSES:
    - Decision making
    - Dominant ball-handler
    - Not a true point guard
    - Shot-selection
    - Stuck between 1 and 2
    - Left hand
    - Ability to defend position at next level?
    - Ability to fight through screens
    - Did not win in college
    - Not ready to contribute immediately
    - Average wingspan
    - Size for position
    - Undersized

Team: Trailblazers College Team: Arizona
    Physicals Positions Rankings Salary Misc
    H: 6' 3"
    W: 199 lbs

Bday: 08/20/1988
    (21 Years Old)
    Current: PG/SG
    NBA: PG/SG
    Possible: PG/SG
    RSCI: 8
    Agent: Jeff Schwartz
    Current Salary:$2,143,080
    High School: St. Mary's HS
    Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
    Drafted: Rnd 1, Pick 11 in 2008 by Pacers
    Best Case: Monta Ellis (w/better PG Skills)
    Worst Case: Louis Williams

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Battier is worth more than a Bayless who can't get run in Blazerville. Fernandez is a talent but gets little run in Portland.

Battier is more than a great defender and team guy on the court. He is also the glue off the court for many. Don't discount Shane.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

What? How is my trade scenario discrediting Shane of anything he does?

We would be getting a 1st round pick (#11 overall) in Bayless & another late first rounder in Fernandez, plus I added to throw in a pick, more than likely a protected 1st rounder or 2nd round pick.

That's why all these trade scenarios get derailed, by you guys coming out talking about how he is the glue guy and the team guy. We understand that, he is great as a team player and captain. But don't overvalue him to the point were it seems the only thing that you'd want is a #1 overall or LeBron/Kobe in a trade.

You guys are ridiculous with that stuff, seriously. :rolleyes:

8. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Blazers fans laugh at your proposal; with their season down the drains, they are even less likely to want to trade Battier for their young talent.

Visit some trading forum and get a grasp of player values first.

9. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

They still have Priz. Their team is pretty balanced, I i think they would benefit from this trade.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Plus, it's not that great of a trade from Rocket's perspective, either. It's unclear what Bayless will ever become and Fernandez benefits from an irrational love fest by the fans. Good player, sure, but a 6th or 7th man at best.

Not that it'd be a bad trade. You'd get two young players with potential. I just think it you were going to trade Battier this year, closer to the trade deadline, there might be other options to explore.

In a somewhat far-fetched idea, if the Rockets look like they are going to just miss out on the playoffs (say San Antonio finally gets clicking, Oklahoma City continues to win, New Orleans improves and the Rockets stay stuck around .500 ball), and the Grizzlies continue to look like the Grizzlies of old, I'd offer Shane Battier to them for Marco Jaric and their unprotected lottery pick this year. Kind of a reversal of sorts from how we got Shane.

That'd likely make the Rockets worse for this year, but give them a higher lotto pick (their own), plus the Grizzlies lotto pick, plus result in a lot more small ball, where they seem to do well, plus give Chase a lot more PT. Just a thought...

I'm not necessarily advocating trading Shane, as with a healthy Yao and the rest of this current team, plus a tweak here or there (use the MLE on somebody, another Morey late draft pick surprise), you give it a good run next offseason...but I could see trading him if it means the possibility of acquiring a very high draft pick...

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

they wouldnt benefit from this trade...rudy is injured, so we wouldnt benefit immediately either...but they have oden out, and outlaw is also out, they already will have trouble making a playoff push. Right now they need more guys who can create because of their injuries, and a big man, not battier, he would help them if healthy.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's the thing, why wouldn't they do that.

Obviously they have more than enough playmakers in Roy & Miller to function without Jerryd, as you said Fernandez is out and so is Outlaw, they need someone at SF to take over those minutes and bring another dimension to their offense and defense, Shane has shown he can do that.

It's great how we have the overvalued and undervalued opinions of posters all in one thread. I guess it wouldn't be a forum without it. *shrug* ;)

I think both teams would gain help from this trade and whoever said an unprotected Grizzlies 1st rounder for Shane is insane. They're not that stupid, are they? :grin:

13. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

Exactly. Also, as I mulled the trade over a bit more, I realized again that Shane is the leader of this team in the locker room and on the court. Not only is he a good defender, but he is a defensive play caller. He knows the hand signals and calls that teams use to set up their offense, and will call it out to the rest of our guys on the court. Good luck getting that from Fernandez.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

As we say here Bayless is OVER-RATED. I was so glad when he graduated, the guy is turnover happy, unstable, and plus he likes fat white girls. Trust me, Chase is all the Zona we need.

15. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

they wouldnt do it because they give up significant youth in that trade and lthough they get back better defense and leadership, they also get older. Even with shane and a healthy team they wont be winning a ring for a good 2 yrs, maybe 3. They still need to evaluate the oden situation, if he can't recover or is always injury prone, they are left with almost no scoring at the center spot and Prz may leave via FA soon and he's getting older too. So it makes no sense for portland to give up 2 young pieces to get back an older piece at a spot they're not exactly struggling with. It serves them better to wait this season out and evalute their center spot over the summer, then trade some young guys for another center if needed. Also, Miller is quite old himself, he won't be around forever and Blake is a FA this summer, that's why their hesitant to trade bayless. Rudy and Outlaw may not be great defenders and but i think they can get the job dont for portland at the 3 spot on defense and definitely offensively. Their 2,3, and 4 spots are covered for now, why mess with it? Deal with the situation at the 1 and 5.

Them trading for shane is like us trading for a center this year, its a temp fix to a problem that's not long term and there's other holes to fill.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

They still have Pryzbilla and I think he is still the better player at this point between he and Oden. Oden certainly would have flashes and was starting (for obvious reasons) but I think the Blazers are better when Priz is on the floor.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

But that's the thing, they may not be a championship caliber squad in our eyes but they still have asspirations to perform well in the playoffs, P at the Center for them with Oden out, their top 2 scorers in Aldridge and Roy and the core guys needed for a good playoff push add to that an experienced well rounded vet in Shane Battier and viola, you have a pretty good team entering the playoffs.

I agree with crash Pryz was playing better with starter's minutes and they use of Bayless and return of Fernandez would be insignificant when they have Shane and Batum manning the SF position after the trade.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

againm all this is shortsighted, it's one year, that's how fans think, they want every year to be competitive, every year to be a playoff team and contender. If fans managed team we'd be trading a few guys every year...but the blazers' long term aspirations are prob more important to their front office than this year's playoff run. Shane, batum and outlaw at the sf position after the trade...that leaves you with two young guys and one older guy who doesnt fit with your core and is a FA next year. Chances are battier won't be with them for long..why give up nice players who fit with your main core for a one year playoff run when there's almost no chance of ring?

Again, it's like Houston trading for a center just to stay decent this year although it's gonna backfire next year..