1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston -- oldest team in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lalala902102001, Nov 17, 2004.

1. lalala902102001

I just find it interesting that we are the oldest team in the league:

Average Age

and the team with the most experience:

Average Experience

Does this have anything to do with our lack of energy at the end of these games?

1 person likes this.
  2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

we had the same problems when we were the youngest team in the league roughly 3-4 years ago. or when we were the most inexperienced team in the league 2 years ago.

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Right now Rockets are the chokest team in NBA too

4. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Yeah, but if you don't count Dikembe, we're tied with the Clippers.

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

We have looked like the oldest team in the NBA.

Mutombo, Howard, JJ, Ward, all old. Yao often looks like a 50 year old out there. Mcgrady has been hobbled with injury and really hasn’t been all that explosive. The few athletic players we have (Boki, Gaines) are buried in the bench.

I think the front office may have overdid it with bringing in only smart veteran players. A team also needs young athletic players. The NBA today is a young players league.

6. Charvo

Charvo Member

Old players can still shoot the ball well. Eddie Johnson played well into his late 30s. He still shot the 3 well.

The team was compromised in terms of athleticism when the TMac trade went down. The defense was going to suffer especially in the frontcourt. This was to be expected. However, the increased scoring due to "better" shooters being on the court along with Mo/Juwan playing alongside Yao would more than compensate.

What is seemingly going awry is the shooting accuracy of Charlie Ward. Lue is also a bricker. JJ has gone down a notch from his career year from behind the arc last season.

JVG needs to watch the tape of the Sacramento/Memphis games. Get back to what got him those wins. Put the ball in TMac's hands. Don't put the responsibility of ball handling on Charlie Ward who got stripped by a rookie. Understanding the limitations and strengths of the players is a duty of the coach. JVG is at fault here.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Thank God I decided to supplement my interest in the Rockets with significant interest in the Magic. It allows me to forget about the damn nonsense that CD and JVG have thrown at us this year. SF is having an MVP season so far and all the things we lamented about him seem to be essentially absent now.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Not too metion the most tired coach.

9. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Oldest Team = Slowest Team.

man watching our whole team get up and down the court has been torture.

We need a nice blend of vets and young guys.. we dont have that. we have no balance.

J

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

That's your perception. He's screaming on the inside.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

boy it wasnt too long ago when we had like the youngest team or 2nd youngest team in the league. I do have to agree ever since Yao and Boki were drafted I cannot recall the team doing anything with their draft picks except trading them, when was the last time we got a rookie and played them since the Yao Boki trade? Spanno and Malick are overseas still.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

[rant]
    We wouldn't be the oldest team in the league had we gone after Steven Hunter this summer like i really wanted us to. That guy's putting up great numbers right now. have you seen him? He's giving Phoenix 6 points, 3 boards, 2 blocks, and shooting 65% while playing only 15 minutes a game.

All you guys that wanted a young, atletic pf, there he is. He's quicker than most PFs, and he's 7 ft tall. And he was up for grabs for peanuts this offseason. Why not take a chance on him instead of Ryan freakin' Bowen?

But noooo, some people thought he was bad because he was waived by Cleveland, not paying attention to the fact that it was in a deal that was reported by espn to have been pre-arranged in return for his helping to make the Gooden trade work.

God, this pisses me off so much. We could've had him. :mad:

[/rant]

yeah, we're old.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Maybe you should be mad at CD/JVG? Not us.

But I'll take Hunter over Bowen anyday, but then again, I'd take a lot of players over Bowen.
    :)

14. winwook

winwook Member

Spells trouble in the future. You have to take advantage of young developing players. They are locked in for at least three years and cost next to nothing, and are likely to get better with every year. Right now the Rockets are packed with old vets that are just going to get worse over time. Think Moneyball.

15. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

My, how time flies.

Just roughly 8 years ago we have the oldest team in the NBA running on the Van Gundy system which was anchored on the principle of defense, And now we have the youngest team again (for the second time since Francis) in the NBA who runs and guns like there is no tommorow. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  16. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

And I couldn't be happier... This team is really fun to watch and they're only going to get better

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Who is Steven Hunter? Never heard of the guy.

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

19. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Dat necromancy

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My first impulse was to get annoyed with you at the necrobump, but that wouldn't be fair as I necrobump your mom on a regular basis.

1 person likes this.