1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston needs_a_good_passer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Baqui99, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The knock on Cassell has always been his defense and his lack of half-court vision. He has trouble passing in a half court offense. Hasn't Karl been trying to get Sammy to pass more rather than shoot so much?

The main knock on Steve (aside from D) is that he seldom takes the game into his own hands and instead sometimes overpasses. Sometimes to free him up, we move him to the 2 with Moochie running the point.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is interesting that you long for a point guard such as Cassell, while decrying the fact that Francis has a "shooter's mentality". Are you aware that over the course of Cassell's career, he averages more shot attempts per 48 mintues than Francis does?

Incidentally, John Lucas averaged over 9 assists per game for the Rockets back in the late 70's. I would venture to guess that he had a few back to back games of 12 or more assists.

Also, only once did Nash post back to back games this season of 12 or more assists, Cassell had 0.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bobrek (edited June 04, 2001).]

3. Band Geek Mobster

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned dfbreyes, but Cassell's not a pass first, shoot second PG.

------------------

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Steve Francis is a premier point guard in the NBA. He's not the best passing point guard in the league, but he's one of the best as far as bringing the entire package to the position.

As far as getting better passing on the team it would be nice for the rockets to move up and select Joe Johnson. Another player with the all-around game that would help the rockets florish against the zone next year.

------------------

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Or more specifically, Steve passes at the wrong time and isn't a great decision maker right now. He's a fine athlete who obviously wants to win, but it will take a few years before he becomes a true pg (if he ever does). Guys like Payton, Kidd, etc. have been PG's all their lives. I'm not sure you can say the same about Stevie.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. Bob

Bob Member

I would agree that Francis is more of a SG than a PG. Problem for the Rockets is that their two best players are both SGs. I think it may make sense to find a point forward to run the offense.

------------------

7. DJ

DJ Member

Shandon Anderson is a good passer. Anderson threw most of the alley-oops Steve Francis is famous for. In my opinion Anderson is the best at throwing alley-oops on this team.

------------------

8. franchise_3

franchise_3 Member

you guyz might disagree with me on this but i think Steve Francis is just out to flash his skills(well i think he was last year and this year) i think when he becomes more machure then we'll see an awsome all around PG with all the skills to be the best

i was reading somewhere saying francis wants to show everyone how good he really is and then in a year he will be a great great GREAt player

------------------
    ***FRANCHISE***

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That'd be great if all we did was throw up alley-oops. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Light travels faster than sound, so some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." -- Brian Williams (now Bison Dele) commenting on Isiah Thomas.

10. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I'll stick to my guns to say Houston still needs a better passer.

My point exactly, although Cassell has indeed a shooter's mentality first than a passer, he was the closest(maybe Kenny Smith) the Rockets had to a real point guard.

Remember Sleepy Floyd, so there...
    Historically, except for John Lucas, Houston has never had a premier passer like John Stockton.

I'll say this... get a guard from the draft like Jamaal Tinsley, or trade (Mobley) for someone like Steve Nash or Mike Bibby.

Then worry about Maurice Taylor's rebounding.

------------------

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have to disagree severly. I think that Steve is torn between being the PG and the leader of this team. Wondering what he is supposed to do in crunch time, pass or shoot.

------------------
    May I have another Snowball Clutch? Please may I? Ill be a good little mole.... I promise.

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Other than Nash and Kidd, are there any point guards you can name who come close to having Stockton's passing ability?

------------------

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What's so great about Nash's passing skills? Nash averages less than an assist (.8) more than Francis and Stevie has only played 2 years. With as many jump shooters as Dallas has, how difficult is it to get assists?

------------------

14. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I don't think Nash's passing ability is that great either aelliot. I was just conceding that Nash is a "great" passing pg so he had an argument.

------------------

15. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Houston needs a court general.

Steve Francis (6.5 apg) is good, but he's better as a shooter.

If seeking Nash is not realistic, (I'm sure Dallas wouldn't let him go) how about trading (Mobley) for Nick Van Exel(8 assists per game) or Mike Bibby ( 8 assists) or even Mookie Blaylock.

Then resign slasher Shandon Anderson.

------------------

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

our need is not in the backcourt we are set there for the next 10 yrs or so
    this is my prediction on the rockets offseason-a) i think unless cwebb has a change of heart bout sacto, hes coming here
    reasons-we have the cap room, good young nucleus,respected players coach,good nightlife, a heaven for offseason nba players,plus no state tax
    b)find a way to deal both or either of cato(maybe floyd in chitown)/walt(young team looking for a vet 3pt gunner-leadership)-including picks to move up in the draft
    c)-draft woods(ourfuture center-he will bulk up), and a small forward-like jefferson/joe johnson etc or move completely up get battier and with catos offseason trade sign marc jackson
    and that team has the ability to win the west as soon as next yr
    ps: steve francis is the 3rd best pg in the nba right now and id say in a season or two will become the best and lead houston to a title

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

17. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i agree with francis3422.
    i dont watch rockets games much, but the few that i saw, i personally dont think there's a shoot first mentality with francis. and forgive me but i think houston doesn't have much of a passing game going.
    i hope coach rudy t. is paying as much attention to next season's game plans (since the new rules) as he is to draft picks and free agents.

18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

I'm new to this forum, but have been following Rockets since their players were Mitchell Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd.

Although many of you Rockets' fans might not agree with what I'll say, I would love to hear your reactions.

Houston needs a real point guard like Steve Nash. I think Steve Francis is great, but he's got a shooter's mentality.

The Rockets have never had a player who posted 12 assists on consecutive nights.

With so many shooters like Mobley, Bullard, Norris, & Francis, Rudy Tomjanovich should seriously look to get someone like Steve Nash or Mike Bibby.

Then he could worry about resigning Shandon Anderson, Hakeem Olajuwon, and choosing a small forward. The players should know how to dribble well.

The Rockets found the jackpot when they Cassell but traded him- sadly.

The team is mostly is a one-on-one kind of team. A good point guard should make the offense flow better.

------------------

19. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Cassell doesn't have a shooters mentality, and Steve Francis does? I'd have to disagree with you there...welcome to the board.

------------------
    Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock...

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Steve is coming along just fine in the passing department. I like the idea of having a PG that can score at will and set up teammates. I think the Rockets are commited to Steve as a PG. And one more thing, Sam Cassell is not a passer...I thought all Rockets fans knew that.

Welcome to the board!

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

[This message has been edited by DieHard Rocket (edited June 04, 2001).]