1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston City Politics Strikes Again!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketMan Tex, Dec 28, 2000.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/782294

There will be no Little Woodrow's across the street from Enron Field. A bar down the street has been deemed as too much of a threat to the young ladies of Incarnate Word Academy, yet Enron Field itself is allowed to sell beer across the street.

Give me a freaking break.

I'm sorry, but, in my humble opinion, I find this position extremely hypocritical and I see it as another example of the sleazy good-old-boy city politics we currently have here in H-town.

And, pardon me if I offend anyone with the following comment, but...

...despite the fact that he eventually supported the Rockets' new arena, Judge Bob Eckels is still a major league a$$hole who always seems to be for sale to the highest bidder. I guess Danny Evans couldn't afford his price!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

2. RocketMan Tex

How true. Maybe Danny Evans should have tried bribing the Monsignior instead of Judge Eckels!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Ummm..so what makes him any different than all the other bottom feeders...aka politicians, sleazy lawyers & crooked judges? Oh..and it's not just in Texas. Look around. Politics are just as scummy in New York or Washington....

------------------

4. RocketMan Tex

Nothing makes him any different. And nothing makes H-town politics different than the sleaze that happens in other cities.

I just happen to live in Houston, that's all. You deal with your city, and I'll deal with mine.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I get the impression that the school doesn't have much to do it with it. I would think it was Enron Field's doing so that they can monopolize the drinking-before/after-the-game market.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

The school has something to do with it. The school being there is the reason the bar cannot open. The bar is far enough away from the church to be in-the-clear regarding their alcohol permit. It has been the church and school who have fought the alcohol permit. Had the church and school not spoken up and marshalled their political friends, Little Woodrow's would have their alcohol permit.

If Enron Field is behind it, why do they not oppose alcohol permits in other places surrounding the ballpark that are just as close, if not closer, to the ballpark? Wouldn't they try to find ways to keep any bar in the immediate neighborhood from serving alcohol? Yet, that one location is the only one that faces any opposition because it's the one next to the school and church.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Easy there, trigger.... My intentions were not to be confrontational, just cynical [​IMG]

------------------

8. RocketMan Tex

No problem, Hoppity. I'm just a cynical as you are. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Also, the school is taking part in the lawsuit against the bar to prevent them from locating there.

I've played at Woodrow's before and have met Danny. The fact is that he did not think this through well before trying to move in there. I spoke to a guy recently who owns part of the Engine Room (he knows the Woodrow's guys well) and he told me that Danny pretty much knew in advance that there could be problems with the location.

He even had the opportunity to buy up another location that would have been more adventageous to both the new arena and Enron but refused because he wanted this spot.

Honestly, the former Sonora Del Norte which is one block from the new arena site and 5 from Enron Field would've been a better spot for him. He wouldn't have had to build, just remodel and I know for a fact that it was available for him when he bought this property because my friend is very close with Sonora's owners who are getting ready to sell at a dramatically increased price thanks to the arena.

I don't like the idea of the city getting in the middle of stuff like this but Danny had a shot to avoid all this and he chose to be stubborn. He knew what this would lead to but he did it anyway.

The church/school across the street got quite a few benefits from Enron - increased parking and free landscaping come to mind immediately - because of a deal they made with the ballpark early on. The fact is that Danny tried to force his way in instead of thinking about it. I don't like the premise but, knowing the person, it doesn't really surprise me.

------------------
    The way to use life is to do nothing through acting,
    The way to use life is to do everything through being. - Lao-Tzu

10. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Always been a big fan of Little Woodrow’s so I would tend to be biased towards them, but in this case is there not another plot of land they can purchase near the stadium?

I haven’t followed the case very closely and didn’t realize that the other establishments were to close too. Has the school said anything about them?

My main gripe about the city right now is to fix the freaking roads! Our roads are truly pathetic.

------------------

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

When I was at Enron a few weeks ago, they seemed to building a bar called THE BUS (THE Ballpark at Union Station) right accross the road from the Homeplate entrance. That would seem a bit unfair to me.

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

What amazes me is that the TABC was originally going to give this guy his permit because there is no legal reason to keep the permit from him. The laws that say places selling alcohol have to be a certain distance from schools do not apply to private schools (and even if they did apply, there are already other places serving alcohol within that radius that were given alcohol permits, something that would seem to be henky. Shouldn't the laws apply equally to all establishments?)

It's just that a politically-connected institution is able to use its influence to bend the laws to whatever they desire and keep out a neighbor whether the law is on their side or not.

If the church and school want to bend the laws to their own will, they should have to reimburse the city for any lost economic development and tax revenues that the businesses the church is preventing (through its politically powerful friends) from legally setting-up shop would've provided.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board