1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Houston Chronicle: Francis talks to begin Thursday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 19, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1500454

July 18, 2002, 11:14PM

Francis talks to begin Thursday
    By MICHAEL MURPHY
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle
    Representatives for the Rockets and Steve Francis will meet Thursday in Las Vegas, and the sides expect to return with at least a handshake agreement that will extend the 6-3 guard's contract with the team.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson will meet with agent Jeff Fried and Rock Newman, who represent the guard, in Las Vegas, where Fried and Newman also have several boxing interests.

Francis, the No. 2 pick in the 1999 NBA draft by Vancouver who was traded to the Rockets, is eligible for a six-year contract extension that will probably be worth in the neighborhood of $100 million.

The exact dollar amount of the extension would be determined next year, when the league's salary cap is again calculated. Francis, who will play this season for $4,383,582, the fourth year of his slotted rookie-scale salary, is eligible to receive 25 percent of that future salary cap number.

"We have set up the meeting for the 25th, and we certainly plan in this week leading up to the meeting to go through most of the things (contract issues) on the phone," Fried said. "We've always enjoyed a very good relationship with the Houston Rockets organization, and that's going to continue.

"We expect real progress leading up to it (the meeting). Whether or not something is signed on the 25th, I certainly expect to leave with a handshake. I think that a handshake from Carroll Dawson means a whole lot more than a 40-page written document from many others.

"Our hope is to make progress leading up to the 25th, and that everything in the ordinary course will come together."

Part of the "ordinary course" is a clean bill of health for Francis, 25, which means addressing a surgically repaired right shoulder and the pounding headaches that plagued Francis last season.

Francis, who in late May underwent surgery to repair the labrum cartilage in his right (shooting) shoulder, has been working out with the summer-league team in Long Beach, Calif., and appears to be making rapid progress in his rehabilitation.

To address the headaches, Fried and the Rockets are setting up an examination at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. Francis missed six games in 2001-02 with the mysterious migraine-like symptoms and played through them in many more. Still, Francis, who averaged 21.6 points, seven rebounds and 6.4 assists last season, made the Western Conference All-Star team.

"I would imagine that before a club signs a contract with any player, they want to make sure he's physically fit in all aspects," Fried said. "That would be a customary practice."

And on the player's end, Francis wants to be sure the Rockets are making progress toward playoff contention. The Rockets have not made the playoffs during Francis' tenure, winning 34, 45 and 28 games in those three years.

"I think it's very productive to have discussions just about the direction of the team," Fried said. "Steve very much enjoys Houston and very much enjoys the organization, but like any couple getting together for a long-term period, it's always healthy to talk everything through."

The Rockets, who play such things close to the vest, are doing precisely that when it comes to the negotiations.

"We're happy with Steve and he's happy playing with the Rockets," Dawson said, "but until we start (contract negotiations), it's just speculating."

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Steve's tenure with the Rockets is already his longest with any basketball team he's ever been on. Let's hope the trend continues. :)

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm. Another prophecy of Troy that became true. Seems y'all jumped the gun on him.

4. Sane

Sane Member

LOL, I hate to be the party-pooper, but everything is so happy right now. We got the #1 pick, and kept the 15th. We picked Yao Ming and Nachbar, which will increase attendance BIG TIME and will probably shoot us from one of the worst teams last year, the a playoff team. Ming and Nachbar's contract issues are solved, and our biggest problems are which one of our 3 PF's to trade for someone who will play 8 minutes behind Cat.

Imagine something goes wrong, and someone snaps? What if Wefoffer a TINY bit less than (let's assume) 102M. SOmething like 99M, Francis takes it as a slap in the face, and demands a trade?

or maybe I'm just paranoid. I'm sure this will be done quick. I do NOT believe Francis is a MAX player, UNLESS compared to the salaries of other players int he league. My belief is, if you're a MAX player, you've achieved a team goal, you can play offense, and you can play defense, as well as improve every season.

Now Francis did great with tryignt o get to the playoffs with Dream. He's great at offense. He improves every season. He's a good leader, and improving. I'd give him the MAX today ebcause I believe he will lead us to the playoffs this year, while improving leadership and defense.

Potential costs a lot these days.

5. Old School

Old School Member

What prophecy is that exactly??

os

6. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

OS,

I think that was a dry attempt at sarcasm. I hope.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Troy who?

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He said Francis wants around 98 million. You called him a liar. He's gone now. Jeff, TroyBaros ;)

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I prophesy that Francis will play basketball. Trust me. We're tight.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I don't know how to articulate this, but I will try:

1)Steve is worth the max for more than his playing ability.

2) His additional worth is that every componenbt the Rockets have now has been built around him. He is our centerpiece- the pieces have been aquired to complement him.

3) Team Chemistry- Steve has been a positive voice- uplifting. He has not complained during this rebuilding period.

We need to pay him the max and move forward...

11. tozai

tozai Member

Sane--SHUT UP and stop worrying

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no no no . . . he won't play basketball unless les sells him the team so he can name himself GM . . . I know cause we boys. . .

He never do anything with out me . . . I . . . oops I gotta go. . .

"Where do you need to go to day Mr Francis. . . . Let me open that door sir. . "

rocket River

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

We should and we will take care of our Leader but remember there are many considerations on the mind of CD.He must protect the future of the other significant parts of the whole as well as the leader! Mobley,Griffin,Nachbar,Taylor,Thomas & Yao, etc!

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Rock Newman is Francis manager? I haven't heard his name since he started the mele in the Garden after the Bowe-Golota fight.

[off topic] Too bad Bowe had the heart/work ethic of a Derrick Coleman. Bowe had such talent; if he had kept at it, Bowe/Lewis would have been a fight for the ages. Especially with the bad blood between the two.[off topic]

15. Live

Live Member

Sure they're going to Las Vegas to 'negotiate'.

:rolleyes:

I just wonder how long the 'negotiations' are going to take.

CD: Whatcha want?
    Francis: Max.
    CD: For 6 years, right?
    Francis: Yup, for 6 years.
    CD: How you feelin'? Gotta headache?
    Francis: I'm fine. Haven't had a migraine in a while.
    CD (Grinning): Cool. Let's go check out some showgirls, or should I just start spanking you on the tables now.
    Francis (Chuckling): First, let's get some food, and then....

That's a 10 second conversation, people! You don't have to go to Vegas for that!! ;)

16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

What a prediction. "I predict our best player will ask for the maximum contract he's permitted by NBA rule".

Shoot, I thought Francis was going to ask for $7.50 an hour plus tips.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Whatever happened to "not needing an agent" to get this done.

Can someone explain to me what Steve's agent is talking about here? What does this have to do with a contract extension that must be signed before the season begins? What could CD do other than lip service to "having discussions just about the direction of the team."

Is that something you request of the GM just to sound cool? Is it a comeback to sound like you have demands, since the Rockets are saying they need to check out his health?

Does CD say, "Fried, we promise to direct the team towards the playoffs?? Let's shake on it."

Or is he supposed to say, "We believe Francis's perimeter-based flex offense will direct us towards the playoffs, and Ming will be the perfect outside shooting complementary player. Can we shake hands now?"

Or is he supposed to say, "We still want to get Odom and are working diligently on that, trust me. May I please shake your hand, sir."

If all that doesn't work, how about; "Fried, we promise to resign Walt and Terence and start Cato, whatever Stevie thinks is right. May I bend over for a spanking now."

#17 heypartner, Jul 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sometimes they say "I don't need an agent" and then they get one anyway.

As long as it isn't Fegan the Merciless.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I was just being facetious. Only a fool represents himself, especially when the Rockets are "checking his health."

I still don't know what the agent's comeback regarding "the direction of the team" means. I guess that's a politically correct excuse for him to give the public for why he might have to negotiate, or why they might not sign the full 6yrs, like Duncan. Isn't that exactly what Duncan said, afterall? 3yrs extension gets him right at the next echelon of Maximum salary equal to 30% of Salary Cap versus 25%, plus it let's him bail if Ming is a b... Ming is a b... a b.... Damn, I just can't write that word. Nevermind, you know what I mean.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think it's very productive for Fried to sound very productive for Steve. ;) Unless the Mayo turns sour at the final hour, everyone will be happy. (as long as everyone stays healthy!)