1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House given to pair of evacuees was flipped for profit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tested911, Nov 22, 2006.

1. tested911

tested911 Member

House given to pair of evacuees was flipped for profit

Hahhah Big surprise ... How wrong would it be to send all of the evacuees back to NO? And have Mayor Nagin work the problem.

MEMPHIS, TENN. — A church that wanted to do something special for Hurricane Katrina victims gave a $75,000 house, free and clear, to a couple who said they were left homeless by the storm. But the couple turned around and sold the place without ever moving in, and went back to New Orleans.

"Take it up with God," Joshua Thompson told a TV reporter after it was learned that he and the woman he identified as his wife had flipped the home for $88,000.

Church members said they feel their generosity was abused by scam artists. They are no longer even sure that the couple were left homeless by Katrina or that they were a couple at all.

"They came in humble like they really needed a new start, and our hearts went out to them," said Jean Phillips, a real estate agent and member of the Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ. "They actually begged for the home."

The church was also shocked by an ungrateful interview the couple gave with WHBQ (Channel 13) in Memphis.

"I really don't like this area," said Delores Thompson. "I really didn't, and I didn't know anybody, so that's why I didn't move in and I sold it."

Thompson, reached in New Orleans on Tuesday, thanked the church for its generosity but said she saw nothing wrong in selling the three-bedroom, two-bath house.

"Do I have any legal problems? What do you mean? The house was given to me," she said. "I have the paperwork and everything."

She refused to comment further and hung up.

The church had decided that it would do something special for one Katrina-displaced family, in addition to its other efforts to help evacuees. The church set up a committee to find the right family and conducted several dozen interviews.

Delores Thompson told the committee that she and her husband lost their jobs, their home and their possessions, committee member Joy Covington said.

The family said it wanted to resettle in Memphis.

Thompson took possession of the house in February and sold it in September. Property transfer records for the resale list her as unmarried; the papers from the original sale list her as married.

"I feel like it was a sham or a ripoff," Covington said. Church members felt the house could have gone to a more needy family, Covington said.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Nice people really, I meanTRASH! They are only going to cause problems for people who really need the help. I hope there are laws to prosecute them!

3. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

I can't imagine this would shock anyone.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No good deed goes unpunished.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wait. The article indicates that the couple may not have been evacuees...or at least not left homeless by Katrina. So let's not impugn this kind of crap on everyone who was.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why is that?

7. MadMax

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
    Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
    Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
    Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
    Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
    Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    Give the world the best you have anyway.

-- Kent M. Keith

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

No, I think I'd much rather make a blanket statement about an entire city's worth of people based on one example.

9. MadMax

awesome! :D

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Prosecute them for what?
    Unfortunately . . I don't think they broke a law

Rocket River
    The Church will do the Research from now on I bet

11. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

If a church or group wishes to give away a House, give it to a disabled
    war veteran. I was part of and attended the Rotary Distinguished Citizen Award Dinner in honor of James Baker and we gave away 2 homes in Sugarland to injured veterans.

We plan on working with the city to give a total of 15 homes to these people
    that lost much of their physical body for our country.

For donations on this effort contact the rotary of houston.
    www.rotaryhouston.org

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That is an awesomely powerful and very challenging quote. I'd heard it before, but it's good to see it again.

Christians' duty isn't to do research. It's just to give what is asked.

Luke 6:30

That being said, there are ways that the Church could have been better stewards. Like possibly rent the couple a house.

13. MadMax

awesomely powerful because it's unconditional love. that's revolutionary. no matter how people treat you, treat them with love. wow. i'm certainly not there, yet.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand what you saying
    BUt
    Giving foolishly . . . . .is not productive

Rocket River

15. MadMax

honestly, i doubt you would have done anything different than what the decision makers at this church did. you find a lawyer at your church or one who is willing to donate his/her time to paper the transaction...and you make it happen. when someone comes to you pronouncing need, you don't create a committee to see if they're truthful or not.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Love 'em all. Let God sort 'em out.

17. updawg

updawg Member

Karma is going to be harsh

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The church never should have signed over the house. That was the mistake. God bless them for what they intended to do, but Jesus did say "Cast not pearls before swine".

In a case involving $75,000 yes you DO investigate to make sure the story is legit. $7,500, maybe not, but a $75,000 gift requires diligence. weslinder, I understand Luke 6:30 very well, but you don't give a blank check (or $75K) to a total stranger. Talk to some pastors about this case and get their opinions. You may be surprised.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That is horrible.

Can the church sue the people, if it came down to it? I don't think they would, but I wonder if it's possible.

20. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, I admit...I laughed at that quote. Send me to hell. :D