1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Horror Cinema] James McAvoy in M. Night Shyamalan's 'Split'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jul 27, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Twist: James McCaovy is a performance artist live streaming

#1 percicles, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Can we get percicles his own forum for all of the TV/Movie threads?

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Another slam dunk

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The Twist = Its the girl who is crazy.

6. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

While the name Shymalamadingdong gives me pause, it would be awesome seeing McAvoy act out all those characters. Maybe even an Oscar nom if he does well?

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

This just screams Oscar bait.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Twist: Prof X went mad and started recruiting young pretty girls only with tame mutant powers.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wow that looks really good. I find it funny M Nights movie and Avatar werent listed in the trailer with his other movies

I personally hope this turns out good. It looks like an original story and i like that

10. what

what Member

I always love an original M. Night film. This doesn't look as original as The Village, Signs, The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Happening.

It seems more in line with Lady in the Water, The Visit, and Devil.

I don't think Night is ever going to be as original as he was in Signs, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, ever again.

Sadly.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

At this point, M Night is better off just telling a good story rather than putting in a twist. I don't know how involved he was with Wayward Pines, but that was good. The Visit was ok too. So there's hope for me.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can't let ourselves be fooled by M Night Schmalamalamailman's trailer for the 500th time.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It looks like it could be pretty decent.

I don't like the title though.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

The opening has happened to me. I was like 12. Sitting in the car waiting for my Dad to come back from grocery shopping. And a guy got into our car while I was in passenger seat! He freaked thinking I was trying to steal his car. Yelling at me. "Get out. Get the F out!" I refused. Trying to tell him he was mistaken. He tried to start the ignition. So we both just sat there for like 15 minutes. Then I negotiated with him to leave the car together and go find his wife, who was still in the store. He had alzheimers. And had gotten away. It was definitely a WTF is happening situation.

The idea is interesting. It feels original to me, although you could say it's not unlike Psycho or other dual personality horror movies. I could sense potential tension. But I would have rather discovered this in the theater. It will really become a question of which of the 23 characters doesn't like the beast, or which of the 23 is even more insane than the beast.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

The assumptions we all likely made were that the beast is one of the 23. So I think the poster who suggested the beast is one of the girls actually makes the most logical sense. 23 chromosomes implying human. Human girls love chocolate. So who didn't eat the chocolate? No dog would eat chocolate...

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I won't see anymore of his movies until he goes back in time and decides to not try to adapt A:TLA into a live action film. How do you take something with such strong source material and put it straight into the conversation of worst movie of all time?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Been burned by him too often
    Cannot do it to myself .. . . so maybe cable

He really does himself a disservice putting his name on movies

Rocket River

18. what

what Member

Yeah, but he's got 3 of the top 20 movies in the last 25 years on his resume. I don't think any other directory except maybe Christopher Nolan or Darren Aronofsky and even these guys aren't close to having M. Night's kind of originality.

For originality, Quinton Tarantino and Night are in a league of their own in my opinion.

But yeah, I get you as far as being burned because Night just doesn't have it. But I also think that it is unfair when people criticize Night's twist aesthetic, but they got bat-**** crazy of Tarantino films which really haven't been original since Pulp Fiction. Most of what Tarantino does is a derivative of himself: the revenge movie has been played to death by him to throngs of fans loving ever minute of it.

Nolan and Aronofsky and to a less extent, JJ Abrams are more comfortable within the framework of something that already existed: batman, star wars, star trex, super 8 (Spielberg).

None of those guys can come close to Sixth Sense, or Pulp Fiction and even Tarantino can't match Signs and Unbreakable.

19. Buck Turgidson

It does, but M Night could make a trailer for just about anything look good.

I kinda wish I hadn't watched that, would have been more fun if I didn't know the entire movie beforehand.

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

saw the trailer before seeing Jason Bourne, I'm intrigued, glad to see James McAvoy show his range

fwiw, I liked "The Visit"