1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honestly, should the Rox cut their losses?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dram1

dram1 Member

I am a Rocket-fan divided right now. The one side wants to see the Rockets give it everything they got and push their way into the playoffs. But, that's where my other half says that the Rockets will hope for an almost-miracle in getting into the playoffs, only to (if they actually get there) have their shorts dropped...dirty underwear with holes in them exposed. I can't take another heart breaking playoff blunder like 100-something to 70-something again. My heart still bleeds because of that day. My question is should the Rockets cut their losses, allowing everyone to fully heal, get over egoes, develop an outside shot, and improve draft status? Or should they continue to hope that they win like 75 % of their remaining games ( a miracle) only to be devastated by either a heart breaking loss or poor performance. Too many failures in the playoffs can wear down them down ( they are all not like Hakeem in that they can go as many times as it takes to finally win it all). Is this totally proposterous to think that they will bust rear to get in and not get in and mess up the chance to get a great college player? Just imagine J.J., Rudy Gay, LaMarcus Aldridge, and other great talents.:confused:

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Dram(a queen)

Of course they should keep trying to win. I don't believe they will make the playoffs, but tanking should never be an option.

3. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

aren't the rockets only like 4 or 5 games out of the 8th spot? I didn't pay for league pass for them to just tank the season.. so I leave this quote for you...

What a great idea! Let's tank the season less than 54 games into it for an inknown commodity! Not smart.

4. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Inknown - WTF? Unknown maybe, but Inknown.... :rolleyes:

5. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

6. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Who says they will get beat by 40 again if they make the playoffs?

Sounds like you're just being pessimistic. I just believe (unless there is a future hall-of-famer waiting to be drafted) nothing good comes from tanking the season.

Let's play to win, hopefully get in the playoffs and see if we can shock the world.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lakers are currently losing to the Clippers...if that holds up, we are 4 games out of the playoffs. 4! Thats nothing. Whats up with so many people thinking that we are done? We got tons of games left to play.

9. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Had to be done.

Your post advocates a

( ) trade ( ) FA signing (X) draft ( ) personnel change (X) game strategy change

in order to solve the Rockets’ problems. Your idea will not work. Here is why it won’t work. (One or more of the following may apply to your particular idea, and it may have other flaws influenced by recent league rule changes).

[ ] It will create problems for us offensively
    [ ] It will make our defense weaker
    [X] Team chemistry will be fractured as a result
    [ ] We can’t afford it
    [ ] The other team(s) would never agree to it
    [ ] The NBA would never allow it to happen
    [X] It would be unpopular with the fans
    [X] Requires us to give up too much
    [ ] We already have enough talent/depth at that position
    [ ] That player would never agree to such a deal
    [ ] Our team owner would never pay for it
    [ ] This does not help us in the long run

Specifically, your plan fails to account for

[ ] NBA league rules expressly prohibiting it
    [ ] Salary cap limitations
    [ ] Lack of depth/options on the trade/FA market at that position
    [ ] Known limitations of our roster players
    [X] Our team’s identity and game strategy
    [ ] Lack of rebounding
    [ ] Lack of offensive production
    [ ] Need for a true point guard
    [ ] Lack of a dependable 3rd scoring option
    [ ] Lack of defensive ability
    [ ] Lack of inside/low post presence
    [ ] Lack of perimeter shooting
    [ ] Loss of athleticism
    [X] Inconsistency in the production of player(s) involved
    [ ] History of injury problems
    [ ] Poor leadership qualities
    [ ] Depletion of youth on the roster
    [ ] Lack of league/playoff experience
    [ ] Attitude and personality problems with player(s) involved
    [ ] The need to add more cash to Les Alexander’s wallet
    [ ] Overblown media hype
    [ ] Poor matchups with potential playoff opponents
    [X] Poor depth of next year’s draft pool
    [ ] The excessive conservatism of our front office

And the following philosophical objections may also apply:

[X] Ideas similar to yours are easy to come up with, yet have never worked in the past
    [ ] You can’t win a championship without good defense
    [ ] You can’t win a championship without dependable offensive options
    [X] You can’t build a successful team without strong chemistry
    [ ] We only have a limited amount of time to build around our superstars
    [ ] Too many long-term contracts hurt you in the long run
    [X] It’s a dumb idea to attempt to rebuild a team in the middle of the season
    [ ] Players should be allowed to play to their own strengths
    [X] Feel-good measures do nothing to solve the problem
    [ ] Doing it this way doesn’t make us strong enough
    [X] Tanking is for losers, and results in a losing culture that we may never recover from

Furthermore, this is what I think about you:

[ ] Sorry dude, but I don’t think it would work.
    [X] This is a stupid idea, and you’re a stupid person for suggesting it.
    [ ] Nice try, moron! I’m going to find out where you live and burn your house down!

10. cyber-dave

cyber-dave Contributing Member

Originally Posted by magnetik
    aren't the rockets only like 4 or 5 games out of the 8th spot? I didn't pay for league pass for them to just tank the season.. so I leave this quote for you...

What a great idea! Let's tank the season less than 54 games into it for an inknown commodity! Not smart.

look at a keyboard...what two letters are next to each other...I U....
    could be a simple typo...

inless that is stating the obvious.....

11. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Every loss is going to be disheartening from now on, so might as well push for it.

There is nothing stat crunching will do. There is nothing that speculating will do. No more trade possibilites or rumors, the trade deadline is over.

It's up to the players, they have go out every night, no matter what, and give it their all to win every game. Every game counts, and that's probably an understatement.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

"Every game, a playoff game" is what I would tell the Rockets. Here is my dream: the Rockets edge out the Lakers for the eight spot, meet the Mavs in the first round, go to seven, and win by one point. How sweet is that dream!? Is it a dream, or could it happen? Sweet Justice!

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Wusses tank. Spurs will never fully get my respect because of that.

Moreover, you don't teach a team to be a winner by losing.

Just Win.

14. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Or go to 4 and blow em out by 40 ;)

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, of course they should tank.

All the blowhard posturing is just insecurity. People who can't tank trap the team in a spiral of mediocrity, just to preserve an external sense of worth. The truth is the truth. The team is not going anywhere. A scrappy little dog that barks at a threshing machine is still a dead dog.

They need to get the best player possible.

16. dram1

dram1 Member

People think that it's easy to say that the Rockets should let the team simmer down. I have been a fan since Joe Barry Carol, Purvis Short, And Sleepy Floyd. I, however am a realist who knows that we will not go far into the playoffs even if we did get there. We dont have the tools to finish the job, and last year that flaw was exposed. The team tried to address some of the obvious flaws like youth and athleticism, but that flaked out with the huge disappointing Swift. I know that there are two players in the draft who as a close to sure thing suparstars in Morrison and Reddick. We probably wont be that bad to yeild thsde picks, but my question is simply why should we allow our team to get closer to a playoff spot that will worthless shot at the championship. We all know that in some fairy-tale world the Rockets have an honest chance, but we live in a world where chance and probability reigns. The Rockets have about as good a chance to win the championship with the current team as they do winning the number one overall pick inthe draft after they fight for a playoff spot and position themselves somewhere in the middle of the pack. If you really want to see something to believe in...then you can believe that you will watch the ockets fall further down this list if they continue on their course toward ebarrassment. It hurts but its true.
    Charlotte Rudy Gay 6-8 220 SF UConn So.

*Chicago
    Adam Morrison 6-8 220 SF Gonzaga Jr.

Atlanta LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11 245 PF Tex. So.

Portland Andrea Bargnani 6-11 240 PF Italy 1985

Orlando JJ Redick 6-4 190 SG Duke Sr.

*Toronto
    Rodney Carney 6-7 205 SF Memphis Sr.

Seattle Tyrus Thomas 6-9 218 PF LSU Fr.

*Boston
    Shelden Williams 6-9 250 PF Duke Sr.

Houston Ronnie Brewer 6-7 217 SG Arkansas Jr.

Chicago Randy Foye 6-3 205 PG Villanova Sr.

*Minnesota
    Mardy Collins 6-6 205 PG/SG Temple Sr.

Sacramento Rajon Rondo 6-2 171 PG Kentucky So.

Golden St. Aaron Gray 7-0 270 C Pittsburgh Jr.

Philadelphia Richard Roby 6-6 190 SG Colorado So.

Utah Brandon Roy 6-5 195 SG Washington Sr.

*Phoenix
    Maurice Ager 6-4 180 SG Mich. St. Sr.

Washington Daniel Gibson 6-2 190 PG Texas So.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This Rockets team, at full-strength, can beat anybody in the playoffs. I'll take my chances with a deep, talented and veteran squad, especially a hungry one, in the playoffs.

18. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Sorry, adult only joke.

19. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Man, you must have a wicked sense of humor to bring up that particular quartet. It make the pain of '82-'83 seem like an oblivious wet dream when compared to '87 & '88.

Having said that, I might have agreed with some of the rest of your post before the trade deadline. I absolutely do not think tanking is in the best interests of the team now just to get a higher lottery pick, and it has nothing to do with false bravado or the extra money I spend to see Rox games.

We have to see what we have now, and with all the injuries we really don't have even a quarter of a season for a basis of judgement. How long do you want to turnover this team before guys really have a chance to really know each other's games? And CD and JVG are still wondering what has worked thus far.

JVG benching Alston last night was quite a treat, especially watching what ensued. This team may be a mess, but it's one I'm more captivated by than usual.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure, I am sure they are crushed that they have 3 championships and not your respect.

LOL !

DD