1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honduran migrant gives birth on Mexico-US border bridge

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jan 3, 2021.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They were on a bridge not in the river they wouldn't need an anchor.

edwardc, jiggyfly, rockbox and 2 others like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Immigration reform needs to happen if the Dems win in Georgia. Open up legal immigration more but severely restrict illegal immigration starting with employer fines and/or jail time.

R0ckets03, Nook and CometsWin like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't that what Obama was pushing?

jiggyfly, Nook, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If he was more power to him. I’d have to assume Congress blocked him but I don’t know.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... the punishment of the employers needs to be severe. In August of 2020, 4 managers in the Mississippi raids were indicted but I haven't seen anything newer than that. As far as I know, no owners or executives have been charged yet.

Nook, Andre0087 and CometsWin like this.
  8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I remember Oops Rick Perry admit that immigrants were Texas's dirty secret for it's prosperity. Legal and illegal immigrants make Texas run. Regardless of what people around the country have to say, we depend on them to make a good percentage of our work force. We also should do everything we can do add these people to citizenship.

vlaurelio likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wipipo too good for some jobs. Don't want handouts, but subsidies n tax breaks A-OK!

vlaurelio likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so in history immigrants from other races never had this intention?

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

End birthright citizenship thing to stop these types of things. US/CA are the only developed countries in the world to have these laws for citizenship, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

12. Invisible Fan

It makes as much sense as the requirement to be born here in order to become president...with long and short form certificates that only came around a hundred years ago.

No one wants to throw out the latter.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not sure that's an argument?

I don't like birthright citzenship. I had a couple of friends who had to deal with being legal, while their parents where being deported during their middle school / high school years and it was a nasty time for those kids. It's nasty for the kids to have parents who are living in shadows or struggling to get visas.

End the birthright law, and if more immigrants are necessary/beneficial, then make the process easier / allow more to get legal access. Having babies legal to illegal parents is not good or humane.

#13 ThatBoyNick, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  14. Invisible Fan

They're both tied to the constitution. Hard to not interpret birthright citizenship with the 14th amendment.

"Necessary/beneficial" is in the eye of the beholder. America has had this argument since the early 1800s. Isn't going to change anytime soon.

Your friend's situation sucks, but it's more likely the parents intended a better opportunity through the "loophole" rather than taking their children/your friend back with them.

Without it, your friend likely wouldn't exist in your world.

Fixing the symptom (abusing birthright citizenship) won't fix the root cause, nativist apprehension against foreign elements or job stealers.

It's not even an American xenophobe thing. EU welcomes immigrants with hugs and kisses at the onset, but doesn't really have a great gameplan on integrating them and their cultures with the host country. On top of that, they put a tight leash on who can and can't be employed, probably so hillbilly Johan won't get ansty over jerbs.

#14 Invisible Fan, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Rashmon likes this.
  15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

We have birthright citizenship because we have a very ugly history of denying citizenship to various classes of people at different times.

And today we're seeing rising levels of xenophobia so you're kidding yourself if you think this just starts and ends with illegal immigrants. Next it will be restrictions on citizenship for children of legal immigrants.

We have the citizenship clause in the fourteenth amendment precisely because future governments couldn't be trusted with fairly determining citizenship. We even had a supreme court case on this that was in response to the government's attempt to deny citizenship to a Chinese American during the end of the 19th century when the US was ratcheting up discrimination against Asian Americans. And keep in mind that case was only a few decades after the Civil War and the denial of citizenship to slaves (which was the largest denial of citizenship by the US to a class of people). Before the fourteenth amendment, the government used to selectively apply citzenship by birth. Many members of Congress believed that only children of European immigrants were entitled to citizenship by birth while others were not entitled to American citizenship.

And I say this as an American that has his citizenship because of the citizenship clause (my parents are immigrants). Don't idolize European citizenship laws. It is demeaning and insulting to grow up in a European country but not be recognized as a citizen of that country. The 14th amendment is one of the best things about this country. This is the only country I know and there has never been a doubt that I was an American because the Constitution recognizes me as one from birth.

To remove the citizenship clause would mean that my place in this country would be subject to the whims of a Congress that has drifted further towards xenophobia. I realize the citizenship clause probably means nothing to you because your citizenship was guaranteed by your lineage but for those of us that had immigrant parents, we tend to feel a little differently on this matter.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can't say your points are really swaying my opinion on this too much. Making new born babies legal to illegal parents is inherently ****ed and inhumane. Full stop, for me.

I understand it's a way for those who are struggling to offer their children a chance at a better life, I understand I wouldn't have met a couple of friends, but a friend wouldn't have been homeless as a teenager, maybe one wouldn't have felt the need to drop out of school to sell drugs so he could afford to hire a coyote to get him mom back across the border either, you know what I'm saying?

Hell, It would have been dandy to have my children in a country like Norway, to offer them a much better country to be a citizen of, but they don't structure their laws that way because it just doesn't make sense.

Yes what's necessary or beneficial is in the eye of the beholder, and it would be a hot topic in America just like it is in all developed countries.

17. Invisible Fan

Grass is always greener. I had an opportunity to work in Europe for a year and possibly more.

There are many things to admire there but how they deal with poor to low skilled immigrants with one language isn't one of them.

At some point, it hits some very hard nerve endings bthat Americans are more honest about.

pgabriel likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Then we should have better immigration laws that are fair. I just can't agree with the absolute **** show that is making new born babies legal to illegal parents. It's just awful all around.

I'm further left then just about everybody here save maybe glynch, I understand where this country is with its attitude towards immigration, I know that it's not healthy, I know it's unlikely our government would pass fair and humane immigration laws. That being said, I don't like birthright citizenship and think it should be scrapped, it's inherently inhumane.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You guys gotta realize that its their status as illegals that makes them valuable to the economy , as soon as you make them citizens the advantages of hiring them are gone .... FICA , state and federal unemployment , Medicare , SSI , workers comp not to mention the difference in wages for an illegal vs citizen then there's other benefits like paid vacation.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The system here isn't really the problem , its the fact that these illegal parents are taking advantage of the law to gain or maintain entry that's at fault.

I'd really like to hear what you think is fair to us as Citizens and them as potential immigrants.

No matter how many legal immigrants we allow in , it will never be enough because more are want to come. My thoughts are that rather than letting them all in here , we need to solve the problems in the countries they are leaving - Make them more like the USA in terms of economic opportunity , individual safety and individual rights that there is no need to leave those places and at that point we can be more of an open border society similar to the EU.