1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Honda Accord] just WOW!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Nov 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

over this weekend, my jeep broke down just as i pulled into my parents' house. the transmission gave out. it won't go out of first gear. so, my parents are going to help me get it to a shop and help me fix it (we live in different cities).

my sister lends me her 94 accord which she says she's just driving til it dies, it has over 220,000 miles on it. so, i thought i might help her do a tune up. to my surprise, there was virtually no oil in the engine (maybe less 1/4 quart), 3 of the sparkplug chambers is filled with oil (leaking spark plug gaskets) and oil was leaking out of the side of the valve cover. i changed out everything and the car runs smoother my jeep with 120K on it. it costed me a total of 55 dollars.

this car refuses to die.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had a '84 Accord. Bought it with 190,000 miles. Sold it with 260,000 miles. The only problem with it was the oil dipstick kept popping out causing oil to spray on the engine creating smoke. Other than that, the car ran and ran and ran.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think Honda quality is actually going down but it's still better than an American car.

4. Christopher

Christopher Member

My sister has a 1990 ford festiva.

If you look at it, its a complete bomb. its been broken into about 10 times, its was stolen at one point and we found it near some flats near by.

One time the front suspension collapsed as she drove away from the house.

The thing is, this little car just keeps going. Its like a little tank!

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pffffft, that's nothing. My 2000 Buick Century is coming up on 300,000 miles. All I've done is replace the transmission once.

6. Poloshirtbandit

I had a Prelude with 275,000 miles on it until someone decided to steal it and take it Greenspoint and set it on fire. :(

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

For those who have had/has a car with over 200k miles; Did people rag you why you still had it? I have had my Saturn for 10 years and only had to replace the gear shift harness. I don't bother changing the oil as i have to drop a quart of oil every couple hundred miles. It keeps going and is more reliable than most cars on the road now. My Dodge Dakota has been in the shop 4 times this year alone.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've owned several Hondas over the years, mostly Accords, and they are damn near indestructible! Don't have an Accord now, but might get the new one, espicially if they come out with a 4 cylinder hybrid. I have their van, which gets 24 mpg on the highway and 20 in town, seats 8, and weighs a hell of a lot. It gets such great mileage because of its engine, which shuts down several cylinders when they aren't needed. You never notice it, but it gives you that terrific mileage. Hondas are amazing! I've heard great things about the Fit, for those who want better gas mileage and don't mind a smaller car.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Stories like this crack me up simply because people drive around with no oil or never change their oil filters and still have no problems. :D Of course the fact you're burning up oil may be an issue, but what the heck. :)

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've got 111,000 miles on my '04 Acura TL and am about to get 4 new tires for it. I don't plan on getting a new car for another 40k miles at least (especially since the new TL looks like crap). I may drive it longer, who knows. I keep it clean and just had a co-worker ask me if it was a new car. When I get rid of it, it won't look ratty, it'll just be old. Hondas/Acuras have had a weakness in transmissions over the past few years. Outside of that, they're reliable as hell for the most part.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you ain't lying. my g/f's 2002 and her brother's 2003 accord both have had transmission problems. my 02 accord has been having transmission problems since about the 75,000 mile mark. :mad:

12. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Still got the '94 Honda Accord. It has over 200,000 on it and runs perfectly well.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

my 2002 F150 is balling at 40,000 miles now. ;)

40K in almost 7yrs of owning it. crazy.

14. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I had an '86 Chevy Blazer with over 200k miles on it until the engine blew out in 2005. Nobody seemed to care. I am a bit of a neat freak though, so it was immaculate on the inside and outside. Much cleaner than all of my friend's cars.

15. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

japanese cars are built by engineers. american cars are built by lawyers..

16. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

it turned outs they chose a bad year for accords and transmissions.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/

#16 Kyakko, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  17. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Damn have you seen the 09 accord? Looks tight as hell on the outside, and as luxurious as a mercedes on the inside

18. The Brian

The Brian Member

speaking of new cars, the nissan 370z looks awesome.

19. kona-

kona- Member

I drive a Honda right now, I understand what people are saying when they say get a American. But when the Honda is clearly the better vehicle then im going with whats better.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've never seen any engine -- especially in a sports car regularly go for 300,000+ miles. I'm not sure what was so special about Prelude engines, but they run forever. I sold my Si with about 200,000 on it -- I drove it hard and it ran perfectly when I got rid of it.