1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home Theater Receiver...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So, my Receiver that came in a HTIB set by Samsung bit the dust today. We had a power outage, and it seems to be a casualty.

I'm looking at some receivers and am thinking about getting this yamaha. I wanted some thoughts on it. I'm not in the "know how" of home audio. I'm not looking to be spending much more than this thing. It's in the $200 range.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5117434&CTID=5000400

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Get an Onkyo...i have two and can't say enough about them...more bang for your buck and great quality...

Onkyo

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not sure I agree so much on the quality...as the HDMI switching on mine flaked out to an extent where I can no longer feed it component signals to be output via HDMI to my TV. Kind of pissed off about it as I have to bypass routing component through the receiver now and using that feature. Probably too costly to have fixed at this point versus just buying a new receiver.

Therefore, I question the quality of their HDMI switching and it holding up over time. I could just have gotten a bad one. Worked fine for a while...but ultimately left a bad impression.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah Yamaha is pretty standard. I have a Yamaha receiver right now. I think it's the best bang for your buck.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Spend $100 and put a UPS on your AV equipment. It's amazing to me how people spend five figures on AV equipment then put a crummy $10 power strip. Those things don't do jack to protect your stuff against spikes and sags in your power (which are happening constantly, even though you don't see it).

8. Uprising

Thanks for the input. Looking at that pioneer.

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

True. I have this backup UPS connected to my AV equipment.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Stick with YAMAHA. They're tops in music and sound. :eek: Pioneer is always a bit pricier... but they're good in sound as well.

I have a Yamaha older receiver that has never failed me. I don't have HDMI like the one you linked in the OP, but it works for what I use it.

Looks like AMAZON has it for less?
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-3063BL-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B003CP0KFU

That's what THE PROSTITUTE said. :eek:

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

you will not be able to notice the difference in sound. too many variables in the chain. just go on consumer reports and get the most reliable one. unless, of course, you want to spend tens of thousands.

12. Uprising

Ya, I found it online for $194. I think I'm going that route.

Thanks for the input!

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

your nuforce didn't cost tens of thousands, but i bet you can hear the difference over a yamaha receiver. ;)

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd get a Lexicon RV-8, but that's just me.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bang for the buck, Onkyo can't be beat, but on quality, Onkyo is debatable.

BTW, there are usually some good AV deals out there in November and December.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Hi, the Yamaha you linked is not close to the specs of the Pioneer I linked. I was suggesting to get a better spec'd receiver but if you want to go the other route take a look at this similar spec'd Pioneer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117339

17. Uprising

I was thinking of waiting till around black friday. But I don't know if I can go with the built in speakers on our plasma much longer! :eek: :(

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. Prince

Prince Member

Only the best for my family, BOSE. ;)

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I would recommend against buying an Onkyo. I've had two that I purchased in the 00s that have had some expensive and complicated part malfunction (both were the THX/$1k range receivers).

If you don't the need the latest A/V codecs, buy a 2-3 year old Pioneer Elite or Denon receiver instead. These are built like tanks, and they've yet to fail the people I know own them. I myself use a separate sound/video processor and a power amplifier for my HT, but my bedroom setup uses Marantz (another solid brand).

avsforum is a great resource for these kinds of questions, here's a sticky thread about what receiver to buy for your needs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=738511