1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holy Slate-like Shiny Metamorphic Stone, Batman!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocketman95, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is unreal.

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Who's the wealthiest Dodger?
    Jason Schmidt? Jeff Kent? Frank McCourt?

It could be Matt White.

Who?

White is a 29-year-old left-handed journeyman pitcher in camp on a Minor League contract who's pitched a total of 9 2/3 Major League innings in nine professional seasons and he's sitting on a gold mine.

Actually, it's a rock quarry.

Four years ago, White bought a 50-acre piece of property in Massachusetts from his ailing Aunt Josephine, who was going into a nursing home. He planned to build a house on the property, but discovered it to be absolutely covered with rock. A geologist determined the property was loaded with mica schist, a slate-like shiny metamorphic stone used for patio decks and other construction.

"I never built the house and instead started selling the rock," said White, whose father runs the business. "It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The geologist said I've got 24 million tons of it and it sells for $100 a ton."

So, according to White's math, he's sitting on a $2.4 billion mountain of rock. That's billion, with a "B." The property cost him $50,000.

He could parlay the fortunate real estate play into buying, say, a baseball club. It's been known to happen. So, why still bother with baseball on the player end, especially with the likelihood of cracking the Dodgers' deep Major League pitching staff no better than remote?

"This is fun," said White, who has played with Boston, Seattle and Washington. "I wouldn't retire. What else am I going to do?"

A teammate of Billy Koch and Kris Benson at Clemson, White was originally drafted by Cleveland and was twice taken in the Rule 5 draft. He spent the 2006 season at Philadelphia's Triple-A affiliate at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where he was 7-9 with a 3.58 ERA and played winter ball in Venezuela.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

must be nice

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That rocks.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

wow, that's one hell of an investment.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That made me laugh.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Translation: Saying "hey I'm a journeyman pro baseball player" gets you more ass than saying "hey I own a mica schist quarry"

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Man, he's got some stones...Hopefully he's taking care of his aunt...

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Although saying you're worth $2.4 Billion probably gets you more ass than saying you're a journeyman pro-baseball player.

9. SamFisher

Nahh, Athletes get hotter chicks than billionaires. I mean Tom Brady is involved in a love triangle with Gisele Bundchen and Bridget Moynahan. When did Bill Gates ever sniff ass like that, no offense to Melinda. Sad but true.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well tom brady looks like tom brady and bill gates doesn't. that helps. :)

11. Flash Thompson

What do you do for a living? Weren't you that guy who was on Jeopardy! forever?

12. SamFisher

I bounce bad singers at karaoke bars at nights and post on the internets during the day.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

There's a big difference between being a 3-time Superbowl MVP and being a journeyman pitcher stuck in the minors.

I'm sure if Bill Gates had wanted some hot @ss he could've gotten it.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You know what they say about real estate: location, location, location.

15. SamFisher

You'd be amazed at some of the hotties that even journeyman players pull. :(

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

What could be better than playing minor league baseball, doing what you love, having little chance at making the majors but still having more money than all of the guys in the majors?

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Me too and I am sitting here in class. :D

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This made me stop and think. Doesn't he need the mineral rights for this to be his?

19. astrorockette

astrorockette Member

Guys, y'all are severely underestimating the worth of telling a chick you're an athelete. It gets you much hotter ass than 46 billion. I'd take Tom brady and his few hundred million over Bill Gates and 46 billion anyday. Think about it, Tom is hot and he could totally kick Bill's ass. Oh and Bill is like a super nerd. Not hot.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'll take a nerdy billionaire over a football/baseball player. It isn't even about the money. I just don't trust pro athletes to stay faithful. Next thing you know they're sleeping with strippers in different cities and banging a Nets season ticket holder. Uh uh no thank YEW.

Man that guy got lucky.