1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holy Crap....Chaos in Mexico

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Uprising, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Mine turned into bottomless pit of death
    Mexican drug-war victims thrown into 600-foot shaft alive, police say
    By DUDLEY ALTHAUS

TAXCO, Mexico - One of the nastier chapters of Mexico's gangster wars now haunts this beguiling colonial city long known for its silversmiths and tourist throngs.
    Investigators have pulled 56 corpses and four heads from the 600-foot-deep mine shaft on the edge of this town, nestled in the verdant mountains 110 miles south of Mexico City.
    Many of the victims were dumped into the slanted chute while still alive and aware.
    "The rocks in the shaft are sharp-edged and tore at the bodies," Luis Rivera, 23, Guerrero state's senior criminologist in Taxco, said in explaining the feet, hands and legs torn from some victims. "There were some who arrived alive at the bottom."
    Only eight of the badly decomposed bodies have been identified so far, including that of a prison warden kidnapped in late May. But police say all the victims were killed by the henchmen of a Texas-born gangster, Edgar Valdez, who is warring for control of one of Mexico's largest drug-trafficking organizations.
    Not long ago, such a gruesome discovery would have been headline news for weeks in Mexico. But the atrocities linked to the country's gangland wars come too fast these days for any to draw notice for long.
    Shootouts no longer shock. Beheadings have become boring and massacres mundane. Unearthed narco-graves — the clandestine mass tombs where many drug war victims lie - now serve merely as mileposts.
    More than 400 people this year have been killed gangland style in Guerrero state, which includes Taxco, as Valdez's group fights with his rivals for smuggling routes and local markets. Amid that fighting, men have been disappearing by the dozens in Taxco and surrounding towns.

'Count the heads'
    There were rumors that some of those who vanished had been dumped down the ventilation tunnel of the mine, which like most others nearby has been closed for three years by a labor strike.
    The vent sits alongside a badly rutted road that overlooks a valley of grazing livestock and farm fields a few miles from town. A 465-year-old hacienda, which was the first silver processing plant in Mexico and now hosts a New Age wellness retreat, sits half a mile away.
    Precisely to keep people from falling into the shaft, the mining company years ago had it enclosed by tall cinder- block walls topped with closely spaced iron beams. But someone had removed some of the blocks, leaving a small breach in one wall.
    People used to throw trash and sometimes dead animals into the pit through that gap, one local resident said. Gangsters dispatched their victims the same way.
    Investigators had responded to past rumors by searching the upper reaches of the vent, finding nothing. They were sent in again on May 29 after captured gangsters told army interrogators that they recently had dumped three men into the hole.
    Rivera, the state criminologist, got the call before dawn that Saturday morning. He sent an underling into the mine, who called by late morning to report there were "many bodies" in a large pit at the foot of the shaft.
    The number of victims wasn't easy to calculate, the man told Rivera, because there also were many unattached limbs.
    "I told him to count the heads," Rivera said in a hushed voice. "I knew I would have a lot of work."
    Rivera informed his superiors of the discovery and was told to retrieve the mangled remains by any means necessary, despite a lack of proper rescue equipment. Rounding up local firefighters and police officers for the task, Rivera reluctantly decided he had to go down into the mine himself.
    Climbing into his office's single disposable biohazard suit, Rivera descended on a rusted ladder for the first 11 yards or so, then rappelled the rest of the way down.
    Once on the bottom, Rivera said, he stumbled over something and stepped into a tangled heap of decaying flesh. It felt like quicksand, he said, the dead floating in a thickened broth of water and the fluids from their decomposing remains.

Bodies stacked deep
    Rivera had assumed the pit was no more than a foot or two deep. But when he tried to gauge it with a 5-foot board, he couldn't touch bottom. The team then realized that the floating bodies were stacked several deep. As one was pulled out, another would surface.
    Working in the dank, dark cavern, Rivera and the other men began pulling bodies from the pit. They lifted the victims in their arms, wrapped them in burlap sacks and looped ropes around them. Others at the surface pulled the bodies up by hand.
    The crews managed to retrieve only four victims in the first 24 hours. It took six days to remove them all.
    Rivera said that scabs on some of the bodies suggested their hearts were still beating when they were plunged into the mine's maw, the rocks and jutting metal bars biting into them like fangs.
    "Many were thrown in alive," the criminologist said.
    People have been coming to Rivera's office and to morgues all month, searching for family members who have gone missing. They bring face shots, descriptions of tattoos and birthmarks, lists of clothes the missing were wearing when last seen.
    Many to remain nameless
    Investigators positively identified one of the men by a leg that bore a tattoo of the Virgin of Guadalupe and another proclaiming "Made in Mexico." Another reclaimed his name because "Rosa" was inked into his chest.
    But most of the bodies are decayed almost beyond recognition as human. A few had become mummified, Rivera said. The cold and humid conditions of the mine - and its lack of insects and foraging wild animals - make establishing any time of death difficult, he said.
    So Rivera can offer little hope to most of the searching relatives. But he'll keep trying.
    "These might have been bad people," Rivera said of the victims. "But their families are not at fault. They need to know."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/7079491.html
    :eek: :eek:

#1 Uprising, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

This reminds me of Chris and Snoop fillining up the Vacants on The Wire, except way worse. Just crazy.

4. Asian Sensation

Free roller coaster ride?

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

Incredible. This guy is a year younger than me and is already dealing with drug wars between savage gangs and pulling mangled bodies out of 600-ft shafts. I don't know if I've underachieved, he's overachieved, or if Mexico is just in deep, deep ****.

6. YaosDirtyStache

Lets just say...you dont want to be him right now. Post on clutchfans, play your xbox, and enjoy the twilight of your youth. This guy is stepping in decaying bodies...youre killing people on Call of Duty...enjoy yourself son. (Coming from a 24 year old)

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is exactly what I thought of.

8. luisantonio1014

The criminologist has the same name and age as me! only I myself wouldn't go down that mine shaft to bring out all those dead bodies. No way man!

9. YaosDirtyStache

Cleverly disguised "Look what I do in my spare time" post!

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Bad thread title. I thought it was about our loss to Uruguay. :eek:
    :mad: This is classless, sir...

HOW DARE YOU tarnish the memory of what we all loved as the Texas Cyclone?!?!?! :eek:

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Sounds like a case for some forensic anthropologists... they will have a heck of a time identifying the bodies at the bottom.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Looks like someone's gonna have to get...

TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS... :cool:

[​IMG]

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

2 people like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Unbelievable. How can people be so sick.

14. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

[​IMG]

Hooollllly Craap!

15. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Reminds me of the chaos in 3rd world countries back in the Vietnam War era.. In Cambodia the Khmer Rouge would take their victims up to the mountains and would throw them off a cliff into a dark dark tunnel of snakes, monkeys and lions....

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or what the Taliban did to homosexuals in Afghanistan.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's pretty jacked up...that crap happens all the time down there. No freaking way I'd get anywhere close to the border. I work with a guy who handles our West Texas area, and he won't stay overnight in El Paso.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

it's pretty sick what people do nowadays...I would love to visit mexico city, but its just too dangerous...f that...

20. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Pacific Coast brutha.....fly over that crap.