1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hockey] Hossa to sign one-year deal with f'n Detroit

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by baller4life315, Jul 2, 2008.

1. baller4life315

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Call me bitter but I think this is a dumb move. Nevermind the loyalty/defection factor, but this guy is essentially banking on driving up his market value in Detroit somehow when he figures to be what...their 4th-5th-6th best player?

$7.45M/1-year vs. $7M/5-years

Tell me what you would rather have.

Oh well, I guess I should be grateful we stole him at the trade deadline and for his incredible carrying-the-team like performance during stretches in the playoffs. This stings but I still wish him the best of luck. Word on the street is the Pens are trying to bring back Jagr anyways.

Any hockey fans out there with a take on all this....?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

Damn! ...

Who?

(Wish I knew something about hockey)

3. baller4life315

Okay, i'll spell it out for people that don't watch hockey.....

The Penguins acquiring Marian Hossa was essentially exactly the same as the Lakers acquiring Gasol. Both players were notoriously awful playoff performers and both were always the best player on bad teams. Enter the one-player-away teams like the Pens/Lakers that snagged up both players and all of sudden became serious.

Now, Hossa is bolting to Detroit (team that beat the Pens in the Finals) for something like 450k being the difference. 1 year/$7.45 vs. 5 years/$7M -- take your pick.

Hossa bolting to Detroit would be like Gasol leaving via free agency (lets pretend) and signing with the Celtics. How would the NBA community react to this?

4. 3814

3814 Member

As much as I was cheering for the Pens, Detroit is a much better team. I don't blame him...

...but it would be awesome if Jagr rejoined Pittsburgh!

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It's a business move, the salary cap has gone up every year, the top end players are getting bigger contracts (Sundin has 10 Mil / season on the table)....he knows he'll have a big season with Detroit, and a Cup with his name on it ....this wil only improve his value, I think he wants 10 Mil rather the 7 Mil you guys were offering him....it's a smart move as long as he does not get injured, I would have done the same thing.... He knows this is his last BIG contract, making the most of it.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Forgot to add...

Your team has Sidney and Malkin, trust me you won't need Hossa to win the Cup.....

Congrats on getting Malkn signed to an extension.....was good news for you guys since he initially said he wanted HUGE money, he's better than Sid IMHO, love watching him play.

7. Northside Storm

Zetterburg-Datsyuk-Hossa
    Lidstrom-Rafalski

LOLZ...

the nhl is f****d

8. 3814

3814 Member

You really think so? I agree that Malkin is incredibly gifted, maybe more than Crosby...but I simply can't stand the way he glides to the bench instead of skating to it. In my opinion, he doesn't give it 100%. But then again, I've only seen him play about 20 games on TV.

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I think Clyde does the same, actually. Except he glides to everything.

So is this Crosby kid the Lerbon of hockey? I remember him being all over ESPN's grill that one lockout year.

10. brooksstephens

I hate Detroit... they crushed the hopes and dreams of my Dallas Stars this year.

11. baller4life315

I agree with most of what you're saying I just think Hossa might be a bit naive to believe he can just step in and be one of the best players on Detroit. He'll be what...the 4th/5th/6th best player on that team, depending on lines?

Sure, there's always the possibility he plays for a "cheap" $7.45M for a year, plays big then ultimately cashes out. I don't blame him in that sense since he's definitely in his prime right now. I just think he would have been better off playing third fittle to Crosby/Malkin rather than just being another body in Detroit.

...and I agree the Pens don't need Hossa to win the Cup but at the same time he was awesome in the postseason and we definitely don't get there without him. I think he definitely answered all the critics about whether or not he can be a big time player when the game counts, he just needs to win big now.

Losing Hossa stinks but convincing Jagr to make a comeback tour would definitely make you quickly forget about losing Hossa. Jagr is the kind of guy you can throw out there on the Crosby line and not miss a beat.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

"You know what a Hossa is? It's a pig that don't fly straight."

13. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

Hossa is a douche I hope Detroit doesn't repeat next year more than likely they won't though, it's really tough to go back to back in hockey.. And Crosby>Malkin imo crosby was more consistent throughout the playoffs in particular the finals even though he wasn't scoring a lot of goals.

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

A Hockey player for 7.4 million for one year on playing at a discount?

Surely Hockey players don't earn that much!

15. baller4life315

Yeah, Crosby & Malkin are two of the best players in the sport yet they earn way less annually than NBA scrubs like Ben Wallace or K-Mart. That along with Hossa's "discount" contract really puts things into perspective.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

I would expect them to earn far less. They play in front of fewer fans, their TV deals and sponsorships would be lower....

I would have guessed the top earners would have got say 5 million at a stretch.

17. 3814

3814 Member

But I believe hockey tickets cost a lot more than basketball ones. I know whenever I go to a Canucks game the upper deck seats cost around $60-70 at face value (which is impossible to get).

18. baller4life315

$60-70 for upper deck seats? :eek:

I just buy a student rush ticket for $20 for Pens games. You have to wait in line forever but it's definitely worth it despite how old, outdated & ugly Mellon Arena is.

[​IMG]

19. Christopher

Christopher Member

Bloody hell!

Im still surprised though, just going by what must be their poor TV deal.

Then again I guess baseball has been living beyond its means for so longm, why cant other sports!

20. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Crosby is great though he is missing the goal scoring abilities those elite snipers have, he's more of a setup guy. Also I think he makes players around him much better than Malkin does and plays a better all round game.

The thing I love about Malkin is that he can carry a team on his back, when Crosby went out last year he is the one who put the team on his shoulder and made things happen. Don't think I've seen that since Mario and Gretz. It was only for a stretch of 20 - 30 games, but damn havn't seen anyone play like that in a while.

Actually I disagree with you on Hossa being naive, the Wings don't have an elite sniper on that team (Zetterberg had around 40 but he's not a pure sniper), they(the team) are actually better playmakers than scorers, he'll light it up big time. He's a perfect fit, he doesn't play physical either, and neither does anyone else(the team), rather they concentrate on puck conntrol. I couldn't think of a better situation for him to make a career year.