1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary throwing it down in Houston - calls for universal, automatic voter registration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jun 5, 2015.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Makes perfect sense unless your a republican.

Some of the money quotes.

Hillary Clinton declares war on Voter ID

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Would automatic registration have any impact on actual voter turnout. I kinda doubt it. We could do compulsory voting.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Even if voting was compulsory, I wouldn't do it. I refuse to choose between the lesser of two evils.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Dems own the apathetic vote

1 person likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It would. There bound to be some that didn't get registered due to whatever reason. And that could affect those election that come down to a few hundreds of votes.

Automatic voter registration with standardize election system and e-voting is the future. Physical ballot is costly and a waste of time, money, resources and also reduces turnout. Significant number of folks chooses to do something else than driving to and waiting in line for voting. Allow voting through secure website accessible through your cell or other web access devices and you'll see the turnout immediately jump up.

6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Automatic registration seems like such an obvious idea. Voter ID at time of voting might still be a separate issue. And personally I'm not too crazy about an extended voting period.

In Canada you check a box on your tax return to register to vote and keep your info current. They estimate 92% of eligible voters are registered. (which still doesn't mean turnout is any good).

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A system that only design for certain type of voter to vote isn't a democracy. Republican sure love that type of system.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You can lead the horse to water . . . . . .
    IMO - It is about protecting the right and giving the right to vote
    Whether someone uses it or not is irrelevent.

I think we will probably end up voting by ThumbPrint
    I mean we have the tech but we don't have the trust

I haven't had faith in voting since 2000 [hanging chads, etc ]
    How do we KNOW that the numbers add up.
    No one counts every single vote .. . we simply have to TRUST the officials
    to do the right thing
    the level of corruption in this country is high enough that a little distrust is meritted

Rocket River

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I'm more interested in her actually answering questions about her time as Secretary of State than this

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Please stay on topic. (or start your own thread)

"Her work as secretary of state I think has been outstanding."

-- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What does a John McCains quote have anything to do with automatic voter registration?

Please stay on topic. (or start a new thread about John McCain)

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Until a secure/fraud-proof system is developed to allow online voting, the numbers will hardly change.

13. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Sweet.. now they can force their pets and dead to vote even if they are pets or dead.

14. bongman

bongman Member

What is really strange is that we seem to be the only country who does not make the presidential election a national holiday. The most important day for the country for the next four years and we can't give people a day off?

15. Major

Major Member

You really don't understand the difference between voting and voter registration? You never cease to amaze me.

16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm just trying to imagine him forcing his pet or the dead to vote. Hard enough to get the living to show up.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I'll never understand why proving who you are in order to vote is such a big issue, especially when it's been proven that fraudulent votes that shouldn't have been cast in the first place have actually been counted in an election. Wouldn't you want to prevent fraud at any reasonable cost when it comes to picking the leader of the country?

Asking people to get an ID (which they are supposed to have anyway) and present it before you vote shouldn't be such a tough pill for people to swallow. To me, it's kinda like getting searched at an airport...if you have nothing to hide, then what's the big deal?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Corporations need to make money
    that is more important than anything else in this country

Rocket River

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Online voting cannot come soon enough.

20. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

With the ugly history of minority voter suppression, we have to do better. I don't see how anybody can be against having a system that promotes voting rights, fraud protection and voting efficiency. Unfortunately, the government is not an efficient entity and it'll take forever (and probably multiple attempts) before something actually works.